That Montjuic of mine

AndyB_11

Still waiting
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
It’s currently on a trickle charger and the battery seems to be recovering from being left unloved and unattended for a couple of years. I’ll drain the petrol out of it later, blast some compressed air through the carbs and give it a sniff of Easystart before prodding the starter button.

It’ll start, I know it’ll start :rob

It fires up for about 2-3 seconds which is making me think it’s only the Easystart burning but being a dick I haven’t drained the old fuel yet.

I’ve got another trick if it doesn’t run after adding fresh fuel and that’s to juice it up with Aspen 4T but that’s a bit risky 😀

don't forget your fire extinguisher , mine has set fire to itself, using easy-start.

you try blowing out flames, whilst you are laughing.

Beware of using too much Easystart on an engine that doesn't subsequently run.

It can rinse the oil from the bores, leading to mucho damage whenever the engine does start in the future.

If you're giving up on running it, turn it over numerous times to re-oil the bores.

Is said Montjuich a Ducati F750 or a Laverda 500.

If it's a Ducati take a good long look at the cam belt rollers. If one of those fails its toast and Pantah 750 cylinder heads are rarer than a rare thing now.

It’s a Laverda.

I always resist the temptation to squirt Easystart into the combustion chamber directly because it really is a short cut to oblivion and now it’s run briefly but obviously not on petrol it’s time to dump the carbs into the ultrasonic cleaner for a deep clean. Things stalled for a while this afternoon when no matter where I looked I couldn’t find a 12mm (18mm AF) plug spanner so I could make sure they were at least getting a bit damp but Halfords came to the rescue so I’ll have the carbs off tomorrow and take it from there.

The H2 is now on charge because that needs a start as well and after that there’s a small matter of another couple of 2 strokes belonging to my wife that need starting :blast

Yep, the carbs are gummed up if this needle is to be taken as an indicator of what I can expect to find.
6a01e415b4998564753e38de030ed5ef.jpg

Nothing that a soak in the ultrasonic cleaner won’t cure.

There’s also a picture of the paper used to catch fuel drained out...

d1ed39dc3c789325e7b50555e4428370.jpg

I wonder what I’ll find when I start on the H2 carbs

I bunged the carbs in the tank using only water to clean them and they looked a lot better so I decided it was shit or bust time and fired it up. It started ok but it’s revving it’s tits off even when the slides down so I think the carbs need a bit of further cleaning and investigation. I’ve got some fluid for cleaning carbs in an ultrasonic tank arriving on Monday so operation rejuvenate the Montjuic is on hold.

The plus side of that is that operation rejuvenate the H2 kicks off this afternoon :D

Ring ding ding, the H2 was much more user friendly and started 3rd kick 😀

Now to fit the standard air box and filter rather than the nasty K&N ones currently on it then it has to wait for me to check the jetting.

The H2 work was remarkably painless.

I needed to fit a new pair of front indicators then refit the headlight unit which took all of 30 minutes because all the bits were in a box along with a scrap of paper saying green left, grey right, no earth needed so they worked first time. I’ve got new indicators for the back because they came as a set of four but there’s no real need to change them because they work so the new ones can remain as spares.

I though I had everything to fit the air box but I realised I needed a 6mm bolt 125mm long to fit through a tube on the air box and bolt it to the frame so I cut the tube off and used a nut and bolt on either side. Who cares about it not being 100% original because the rest of it was fitted in about 30 including removing the tank, side panels and old filters.

I suppose I really should charge then try to start the 350LC and the RS250 tomorrow but I know there’ll be other work needs doing on them which will be a pain in the arse so it might be Norton time instead :D

I was going to take the carbs off then strip and clean them but decided not to bother because it seems to run well enough (road test needed) and I’m always wary of getting an airlock in one of the oil lines which would really ruin my day.

That’s the RS started and run up to 70c. It doesn’t tick over where it should unless you give it a whiff of choke for a second then it runs nicely at about 1600rpm which is ok for what’s basically a highly tuned 2 stroke.

The LC needs the battery putting back in it but I need to keep something back to do tomorrow.

Getting back to the Montjuic, the carbs are back in the cleaner but with proper carb cleaning solution and they’re at a nice steady 75c where they’ll stay for about another 45 minutes.

I reckon it’s crud in the fuel tank causing the problem so I’ll fill the tank with cheap fizzy drink and leave it for a week before going back to that one.

Andy..A couple of questions, please feel free to ignore me if you have better things to do.

The last time that I read about your H2, I THINK that it was up and running and on on the road. How come it needed new indicators and did you buy it with the K & Ns - have you had to source the airbox gubbins ??

I must have missed your updates on the 'Notrun' Is it now alive and (sort of) kicking ??

I'm following this with interest - I might have just been unlucky, but I never ever saw a Monty that ticked over. They ALL looked/sounded highly strung things that needed JUST the right amount of throttle/choke to make them run properly - get it a fraction wrong and it would just die.

Good stuff...Crack on !!....:thumb2

The H2 had what are described as gash front indicators mounted on the handlebars rather than on the headlight brackets so I sourced a new headlight shell, light unit and indicators ages ago but only got as far as fitting the headlight shell then put it to one side. It was on the road and perfectly legal but just didn’t look right.

It had a set of Denco expansions on it along with K&N filters but I fitted Higgspeed chambers because they looked better than tatty old matt black Denco ones. The air box assembly was ordered from Japan about 3 years ago and then forgotten in the roof of the garage until I found it again last week so given that I’ve got time on my hands I decided to fit it.

The Montjuic is, as you say, a highly strung beast that needs setting up just right and the issue with mine is that the muppet who sprayed it got a load of overspray in the tank and it’s turned to jelly that’s got through the fuel filters then gummed everything up. My fault entirely, I should have addressed the issue ages ago but didn’t. It’s got brand new Dellorto pumper carbs which when cleaned should be fine. It may need a tweak on the timing and I’ve got a colourtune set to check the mixture is right once the carbs are cleaned, it was right before but who knows what it’ll be like now :nenau

The LC has been kicked into life but only ran on the LH cylinder when it was on full choke. Again, it’ll need the carbs removing and cleaning because when it was on the side stand and I turned the fuel on it pissed out but was ok on the centre stand. The same person as sprayed the Montjuic sprayed the LC so it’s going to get the fizzy drink treatment to clear the shite out of it.

The Notrun does run but it doesn’t charge so my suspicions lie with the air gap between the rotor and the stator. It’s a bastard to kick over and while I’ve got time on my hands I might bite the bullet and buy an electric start conversion. It’s a bit naughty and a bit of a gamble given that I’m not working but my accountant has told me I’m stupid if I don’t furlough myself and claim the money so I can have a Government subsidized electric start conversion which would make me smile for years :D

I’m enjoying myself playing with bikes at the moment, we have our two eldest granddaughters here for 5 nights of the week so that’s a good reason to be in the workshop while they do their school work in the house.

Back
Top Bottom