R1250GS Exclusive - Engine Noise (Valve Tick) Cylinder Pod

That's seems fair enough and to be offered your money back is a fair gesture from BMW. It's the effect it has on me taking the bike on longer ride outs. Just keep thinking what the heck is going to break next. Yes it seems BMW will respond, but it's all the hassle, taking days off, missed ride outs etc that drops my confidence in the brand. Tbh, if I get more issues it's going and I'm done with BMW. Will try a new Ducati Multistrada with a four year warranty also, they seem to be very reliable these days and still have a great road presence with all the bells and whistles of a BMW.

I had the leaky brakes issue on my 2019 GSA. The bike was picked up for me and they lent me a brand new S1000R (though did give me a choice of three other bikes too). The dealer has always made clear if my bike isn't working they will lend me one for free for just as long as it takes to fix mine.

Can't see any issue with that.

That's top class service Flamair! - are you related to Royalty or very famous by any chance:bow:bow?? To get your bike collected and a freebie bike also is great. The first time my bike went in for a service I had to arrange a demonstrator bike for myself (GS850) - so was loaned under test ride rules and conditions. When I took my bike in for the warranty work there were no bikes offered as the sales team were closed due to virus - which is fair enough. M&P Swansea is a new dealership for |BMW. They also cover Harley D, Honda, Kawasaki, KTM, Husqvarna, Piaggio to name a few. Great bunch of people but seem extremely busy and perhaps do not have the time / systems in place needed to run smoothly just yet. Google review score is 4.1, but I take that with a pinch of salt.

Got my bike back yesterday from dealers. New cylinder head fitted and just as I thought still tapping. Spoke with the BMW Tech who advised the valves were out of spec on the old cylinder head. He was advised by BMW to change the head and it's up to me determine what to do next. Over 3000 revs and there is no tapping, ticking what so ever, runs smooth and as it should. It's just at idle where the engine seems "tappy". Ive also picked-up a new fault where the engine seems to die at idle then pick-up back to idle. This is intermitant but it does happen and is really annoying. Once the lock-down eases I will take the bike for a long run and see how it peforms.

Got my bike back yesterday from dealers. New cylinder head fitted and just as I thought still tapping. Spoke with the BMW Tech who advised the valves were out of spec on the old cylinder head. He was advised by BMW to change the head and it's up to me determine what to do next. Over 3000 revs and there is no tapping, ticking what so ever, runs smooth and as it should. It's just at idle where the engine seems "tappy". Ive also picked-up a new fault where the engine seems to die at idle then pick-up back to idle. This is intermitant but it does happen and is really annoying. Once the lock-down eases I will take the bike for a long run and see how it peforms.

Mine still ticks even after the engine swap and the shims being done on the new engine, BMW themselves say it's normal but it's funny you mention the idle thing, I started mine yesterday and let it warm up, gave it a little blip, engine revved a little, then almost died and sounded like it was going to cut out, then returned back to idle again.

That's top class service Flamair! - are you related to Royalty or very famous by any chancebow?? To get your bike collected and a freebie bike also is great. The first time my bike went in for a service I had to arrange a demonstrator bike for myself (GS850) - so was loaned under test ride rules and conditions. When I took my bike in for the warranty work there were no bikes offered as the sales team were closed due to virus - which is fair enough. M&P Swansea is a new dealership for |BMW. They also cover Harley D, Honda, Kawasaki, KTM, Husqvarna, Piaggio to name a few. Great bunch of people but seem extremely busy and perhaps do not have the time / systems in place needed to run smoothly just yet. Google review score is 4.1, but I take that with a pinch of salt.
Apologies - I hadn't received a notification of your reply.

Yes, the dealer is excellent - Allan Jeffries in Shipley, W Yorks. When I booked in for the brakes sorting the lady I spoke to was fantastic.. She pretty much insisted I took them up on the offer of a loan bike. Her words were 'if you buy from us and you have any issue with the bike we will ensure you do not lose any riding time as a result at no cost to yourself'.

Can't fault them. They're about 40 mins from me but I'd travel double that as their service is spot on.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Hey hey hey boys!! I had the same issue and brought it in... Here's a quick video of the sound and result after the dealer took it in for a look. Lot easier to hear than describe a sound...

Hope this helps.. https://youtu.be/6rr90enicdU

I had the same issue with my 1250, that and a very noisy clutch bearing. Engine sounded worse than my first 1150 GSA so I’ve taken the decision to get rid of it... Going back to a 1200 and hoping to collect this week...

With all the comments on here i would like to add the following.
My bike leaves the garage , ear plugs in , gets warmed up , fill with fuel then thrashed for 200 to 300 miles and back in the garage , time after time , yes it tics , rattles but god it goes well and lives most of its life at the top rev range only slowing tho the 30 s etc . So far no issues and the bike runs perfect and adapts to all roads with the flourish of an excited puppy.
My advice , lean on the warrantee , enjoy the bike , wear plugs do not go back to the 1200 ( you will be disappointed ) and don't buy a Honda ...........

With all the comments on here i would like to add the following.
My bike leaves the garage , ear plugs in , gets warmed up , fill with fuel then thrashed for 200 to 300 miles and back in the garage , time after time , yes it tics , rattles but god it goes well and lives most of its life at the top rev range only slowing tho the 30 s etc . So far no issues and the bike runs perfect and adapts to all roads with the flourish of an excited puppy.
My advice , lean on the warrantee , enjoy the bike , wear plugs do not go back to the 1200 ( you will be disappointed ) and don't buy a Honda ...........

I’m not disappointed....!

Any update ?do you still own the bike and is it still ticking away ?cheers

Morning all, I also have the R1250GS timing chain noise issue. Bike has been to the dealers a few times re the issue and again a few months back and they acknowledged the fault but at the time there was no fix. I followed them up this morning and was told that BMW will be issuing replacement parts following a successful test on the fix. He didn't know if they would issue a full recall (now called QE or quality enhancement!) for affected bikes but for me the win is that BMW now officially acknowledge the issue and are doing something about it. I look forward to being contacted in the next few months and nice to know I didn't imagine it!!

Morning all, I also have the R1250GS timing chain noise issue. Bike has been to the dealers a few times re the issue and again a few months back and they acknowledged the fault but at the time there was no fix. I followed them up this morning and was told that BMW will be issuing replacement parts following a successful test on the fix. He didn't know if they would issue a full recall (now called QE or quality enhancement!) for affected bikes but for me the win is that BMW now officially acknowledge the issue and are doing something about it. I look forward to being contacted in the next few months and nice to know I didn't imagine it!!

Interesting, my 2020 makes the loud tap from left cylinder at tickover when warmed up,goes away at 2k revs ,not contacted dealer yet as 60 miles away and still over 18 months warranty left ,wonder if all dealers will know about the fix or only when they submit a claim to BMW .

What is the fault?

It does make you think. My 18 GSA was typically rattly, never thought anything of it. However, During a service I was called to be told the Engine was seriously worn (26K) and needed all the valves, Rods ect changing. Apparently there was a bad batch of hardening ? My 1150 Was still like new after 90K miles and wasn't noisey ?

An BMW R1250GS LC needing warranty work, - who would of thought:D

Leaking brakes, noisy engines, poor batteries, and loose spokes, any more should be added?

On a serious note we should probably have an area/sticky where common issues to check for new buyers like they do on other Forums as it can be quite hard to keep up:D

Praise the lord they come with a 3 year warranty.

That reminds me to lube the splines...

They all need work. Warranty work isn't exclusive to the 1250 lump, not is it exclusive to BMW!

Back
Top Bottom