Crete

Wapping

Reaction score
Not somewhere we hear about too often on these pages, but the Germans don’t limit themselves to Tesco in High Wycombe.

This from Tourenfahrer might interest some. GPS track available in the usual way, which will really annoy some here. But hey, that’s life.

9a8a89d9e306fdfdaa02e6c098a5abae.plist

f8543c05256961a97f4af9d429802316.plist

There’s even unmade road bits, for the real Adventure bikers. But you’ll notice that the soft sausage chewer is not on a GS nor has he got Uber-knobblies on....

Pictures to follow when Tapatalk mends itself

It's a lovely if somewhat large island I have been several times and found Hania to be a good base from which to explore I found the locals to be very welcoming (to The English & not Germans:D) and often played the wise old men at backgammon whilst drinking their very strong black coffee at the street cafe
From Heraklion a ferry runs up as far as Piraeus in the North calling at several places en route eg Ios & Santorini

Definitely worth a visit imho
:beerjug:

Great island and very varied. As a generalisation, the west and south are quieter (and I think nicer), the north and east more touristy and busy. Some decent hills that are worth going up, some nice wee mountain roads and villages. Easy to get to by plane or ferry, normally.
Many years ago I worked on an olive farm there, bloody hard work but really enjoyed it.
Bike hire available, companies vary so best to search and find the latest

Thanks for sharing!
There are visitors that come to Crete year after year for the last 30 ones, and the still find new things to explore.Chania and Rethymnon have old towns and harbours with Venetian, Greek and Ottoman influence. Chania is quite larger and so is the old harbour. Rethymnon has a vast Venetian castle in very good condition, and a very very large sandy beach in town. Chania is closer to the best beaches of the island like Elafonisi, Falasarna and Balos. Google them to have an idea
Heraklion the capital is very large and you might consider it chaotic due to the traffic, but the main antiquities like the first civilization of Europe, the Minoan are there. You can Google Knossos the archaeological highlight of the island.One of the most important Arcaelogical museum is there too, and the town still has part of the fortifications of the old town of Candia where the longest siege of history (29 years) took place, very very long ago.
Agios Nikolaos has a beautiful lake area, and it's close to the island of Spinalonga, one of the best attractions of the island which was a castle and a former leper colony.
There are many more smaller towns, villages and resorts to explore or stay there and relax at the beach.
Have a bit of time to do your own research, and you choose if it's worth it or not according to your criteria.
http://www.explorecrete.com/
Have a look at "MotoRentalsCrete" for cars and motorbikes.
There are a few places that hire bikes at reasonable rates. We've used "Notos Travel".
And taking a taxi from heraklion airport to the city is still not expensive.
Crete is where you're likeliest to have an authentic Greek experience, see small villages, stay places that aren't all tourism, meet some actual Greeks who do something for a living besides wait tables or run hotels or shops.

Thanks for sharing!
There are visitors that come to Crete year after year for the last 30 ones, and the still find new things to explore.Chania and Rethymnon have old towns and harbours with Venetian, Greek and Ottoman influence. Chania is quite larger and so is the old harbour. Rethymnon has a vast Venetian castle in very good condition, and a very very large sandy beach in town. Chania is closer to the best beaches of the island like Elafonisi, Falasarna and Balos. Google them to have an idea
Heraklion the capital is very large and you might consider it chaotic due to the traffic, but the main antiquities like the first civilization of Europe, the Minoan are there. You can Google Knossos the archaeological highlight of the island.One of the most important Arcaelogical museum is there too, and the town still has part of the fortifications of the old town of Candia where the longest siege of history (29 years) took place, very very long ago.
Agios Nikolaos has a beautiful lake area, and it's close to the island of Spinalonga, one of the best attractions of the island which was a castle and a former leper colony.
There are many more smaller towns, villages and resorts to explore or stay there and relax at the beach.
Have a bit of time to do your own research, and you choose if it's worth it or not according to your criteria.
http://www.explorecrete.com/
Have a look at "MotoRentalsCrete" for cars and motorbikes.
There are a few places that hire bikes at reasonable rates. We've used "Notos Travel".
And taking a taxi from heraklion airport to the city is still not expensive.
Crete is where you're likeliest to have an authentic Greek experience, see small villages, stay places that aren't all tourism, meet some actual Greeks who do something for a living besides wait tables or run hotels or shops.

Elafonisi and Falasarna are two of the best beaches I’ve visited anywhere. A lot of the locals ride trail bikes, most of the time without helmets. A trip into the mountains got us lost, a lot of the road signs are peppered with bullet marks, seems that some of the older guys kept German small arms from WW2

Looks nice! Is there someone that took part to this trip so I can get some info?

Fabulous. Thanks everyone, this is a great thread.
I've never been to Greece but am considering going in September for 10 days with my wife.
Found a reasonable deal at a nice looking hotel in a place called Sisi.
I've been given the go ahead to rent a bike for a week so I can go & explore the island whilst she's enjoying the sunshine & pool & there's a company who will rent me a CRF250L at a very reasonable rate. .

Good stuff Tommy Gunn, let us know how you get on, please.

I’ll have a dig around to see if I can find anything more on the island.

Sounds good doesn't it?
Thank you for your kind offer but let's see if we book the holiday 1st. :thumb2
In the meantime have a great time in France.

Fabulous. Thanks everyone, this is a great thread.
I've never been to Greece but am considering going in September for 10 days with my wife.
Found a reasonable deal at a nice looking hotel in a place called Sisi.
I've been given the go ahead to rent a bike for a week so I can go & explore the island whilst she's enjoying the sunshine & pool & there's a company who will rent me a CRF250L at a very reasonable rate. .

Assume you mean Sissi, nice wee town and it's where I worked for a few weeks picking olives a very long time ago! I was the only foreigner in town and only one guy spoke some English. I was given a small hut to live in and a couple of years ago I went back and found my hut deep in an olive grove, same wee fireplace for cooking still there.

The town is a lot bigger, obviously, but still had a nice feel to it. Head south from it and you get into good hills, nice down to the South coast as well.

Attachments

• IMG_20140930_112659.jpg
    IMG_20140930_112659.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_20140930_112844.JPG
    IMG_20140930_112844.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 159
Excellent, thank you.
Yes, you're right - Sissi.
Holiday booked. :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom