Hoping everyone is keeping safe and well C-19

Tbolt

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Yes I am missing riding the bikes; organising the weekend breakfasts and attending the mid-week leisure meets.

As a recently retired widower I have not had to change much to adapt for this lockdown (yes Billy no-mates).

With the closure of the universities I have been able to isolate with my daughter who has returned home.

Many of us on this forum are in the most vulnerable age group or have underlying health conditions.

Thankfully, so far I have had no symptoms of the virus and hope it stays that way.

Some will have been laid off and others under greater pressure from essential work.

I have replied to a request to return to work for social services and await a response. I am however reluctant to visit wards and ill people because of my own vulnerability.

I was wondering how others have been impacted and coping.

Any projects getting done?

Any ideas on how to offer each other support if needed?

Any ideas for use of a communication media group such as a WhatsApp group?

Any local information or news (not everyone is addicted to Facebook).

I see Nottingham is planning a mass ride to thank the NHS etc when this is all over.

Obviously feel free to respond or not. :thumby:

Gerry

Hi Gerry

Pleased to hear you're well.. Like most folk these days I'm working from home and have been for over 3 weeks now. Not got enough to fill my day in truth as virtually all of our customers are in a similar position or are shut altogether. A mail came round from HR yesterday saying 50% of the company were going to be Furloghed so we'll see if I'm amongst that list... The economy it seems has practically ground to a halt. Our warehouse (automotive parts) normally ships over 5k lines a day. Yesterday it shipped 150. Lets hope if we all follow the rules we can get back some semblance of normality before we're headlong into a deep recession...

All 4 of us are home now. Wife's a teacher and all 4 of us have colds... Or is it a cold? Guess we'll never know as long as it stays as mild symptoms until the anti body test becomes available.

I've signed up to be an NHS volunteer. I've been accepted and will sign on for duty next week when I'm symptom free.

Missing the bike like all of us probably are. I've changed the brake lines on the 1100 and plan to set to with some other jobs on it now I have plenty of time on my hands!

I've also found that getting out every day even for just a round the block walk has been very useful. Two weeks ago I didn't leave the house for 5 days and felt quite disorientated. I wouldn't recommend that.

Stay safe

Rich

Hi Rich,

Yes getting out is helpful.

I use the E-bike mostly.

I was booked on the BMW off road skills course in Wales over the Easter weekend.

They have sent me a new voucher to book when it is open again. Hotel have refunded me.

One of my son’s was commuting from Geneva to London but has been laid off. As he is newly self-employed he can’t claim anything and had to postpone his wedding as it was booked for Scotland in June.

Son-in-law was Furloughed last week. His warehouse provides lighting and high end media displays for entertainment and corporate events. It will be some time before arena gigs start again. He is still waiting to hear from his volunteering application.

Hope your cold symptoms quickly disappear and the new announcement on increased testing comes to fruition.

I worked in mental health and never had PPE for my staff.

Keep safe
Gerry

Hi Gerry,

Glad to hear you are well and coping with the enforced break of providing us with decent breakfasts.... As a chronic asthmatic who has to use domiciliary oxygen etc, I have been classed at severe risk by this virus. I've spent the last three weeks at home without leaving the property - although I am riding 5 miles a day on my exercise bike. As I run my business from home, there has been little change in my work routine although orders are very reduced.

My wife has now been furloughed as of yesterday, and our eldest son who lives with us is still working from home. Our youngest son has his own scaffolding business and they are only taking on emergency work.

Not being able to ride my bikes is proving to be very difficult for me, but I'm sure this is the same for everyone. I am trying to limit how much exposure I am having to social media hysteria etc, as my family are stressed enough at the prospect of infection.

Long term, I don't think the prospects for any form of normality will happen until they get a vaccine or successful treatment but I live in hope.

Keep well.

Phil

Hope all you fellow tossers are well

Thanks for starting the thread Gerry,

Glad to hear that so far folk are well, physically at least. Not being able to ride the bikes can from my own experience remove one of the mechanisms keeping us in good mental state, but I guess keeping as busy as possible does help.

Mrs GSite has updated the list of outstanding works from when the house was built, plus a few extras and reviews my performance against said list on a regular basis. As she is still working, I get time to interpret the list in a manner I deem most appropriate, while trying to keep my 14yr old lad on track with his school work.

I have volunteered to come out of retirement from a clinical role in the NHS to help the effort and await the call. If or when it does come, I need to manage the time doing this when my wife is not working, so that we can avoid "the lad" being back in school as inconsistency is never a good thing in education.
We shall see, will do my best in the circumstances.

In the sleepy village we live in, it seems there is a greater volume of motorcycle traffic than usual, which tends to be quite little really. You question if folk are going out for a ride to stay sane or just using the bike for "essential" travel, who knows will leave that debate with PC plod when he stops them, which I have heard happened in the next village recently.

Speaking of getting out, we have discovered some paths linking some of our favourite walks across the fields, woodlands and lanes around the village, so managing about 5 miles per day, before Pop Master on Radio 2. My musical knowledge I think is better than I thought, but still only manage 9-18 points on average.

Enough rambles, how is everyone else, please let us know posting your own ramble.

Cheers all, I normally say keep the wire taught at this point, but let's just say take care out there fellow tossers.

Last edited:
Hi Phil, I was wondering how you were doping after seeing your post regarding the cancelled breakfast. Good to hear you are keeping safe.

I understand this must be a worrying time for you. Avoiding social media is probably for the best.

I telephoned a friend today who also has to stay home because of chronic asthma. Luckily she has been allowed to work from home.

Looks like it will be some time before things get back to normal.

Hopefully, there can be some relaxation in the near future but human behaviour has proven difficult to trust.

I would be happy to wear a face mask if it meant I could get out more and reduced risk to self and others.

Hope you and your family stay safe and well

Gerry

Hi Gerry

We’ve just got off a weekly “apéro” via WhatsApp with two families who are close friends

We’ve got another tomorrow with two others

It’s a great way of keeping in touch and helping each other out morally if nothing else

There are other apps of course but we’re lucky to live at a time where free video conferencing is possible for anyone with a smartphone or computer

Stay safe and stay sane :thumb2

Thanks for starting the thread Gerry,

Glad to hear that so far folk are well, physically at least.

Cheers all, I normally say keep the wire taught at this point, but let's just say take care out there fellow tossers.

Hi Andy,

Very brave of you to offer to go back to the nursing front line!

I have had an email reply telling me my re-employment form has been received and being processed.

I will give you a call in the week.

Stay safe
Gerry

Hi Gerry

We’ve just got off a weekly “apéro” via WhatsApp with two families who are close friends

We’ve got another tomorrow with two others

It’s a great way of keeping in touch and helping each other out morally if nothing else

There are other apps of course but we’re lucky to live at a time where free video conferencing is possible for anyone with a smartphone or computer

Stay safe and stay sane :thumb2

Thanks LF

A friend let me know that a WhatsApp group has been set up on their street for keeping an eye on neighbours. That's what prompted me to suggest it here.

Video conferencing may be too much for some on here at present but if it helps in managing isolation it could be worth trying.

I talk to my 4 kids using group FaceTime every day at present.

We plan to use Zoom tomorrow.

To start it on here would need to be through a pm to share email/phone contacts.

Stay safe
Gerry

Thanks LF

A friend let me know that a WhatsApp group has been set up on their street for keeping an eye on neighbours. That's what prompted me to suggest it here.

Video conferencing may be too much for some on here at present but if it helps in managing isolation it could be worth trying.

I talk to my 4 kids using group FaceTime every day at present.

We plan to use Zoom tomorrow.

To start it on here would need to be through a pm to share email/phone contacts.

Stay safe
Gerry

Gerry,

Message me if you set something up on WhatsApp - like you I think this is going to go on for quite some time.

Phil

Hi Gerry, boredom has reached an all time high and I’ve actually ordered some snake oil for polishing scratches out of engine casings!

I’m not sure what’s got into me because I’m busy messing with motorbikes that I really shouldn’t use at the moment but looking on the brighter side, this won’t last for ever and I’ll have one hell of a choice of bikes to ride by the end of it :D

All of you keep safe and keep yourselves amused as much as possible :beerjug:

Hi Gerry, boredom has reached an all time high and I’ve actually ordered some snake oil for polishing scratches out of engine casings!

I’m not sure what’s got into me because I’m busy messing with motorbikes that I really shouldn’t use at the moment but looking on the brighter side, this won’t last for ever and I’ll have one hell of a choice of bikes to ride by the end of it :D

All of you keep safe and keep yourselves amused as much as possible :beerjug:

Hi Andy,

Good luck with your snake oil.

I am aware you have a Norton Commando :green gri

You have reminded me that 40 years ago I worked down the mines with a man who sneaked in the engine casings of his fastback to polish them when he had nowt else to do (most shifts) :eek:

Stay safe
Gerry

Gerry

Yes as others have stated well and truly bored, still got some work which is a good thing. Managed to jet wash the drive, paint the gates, clean the windows, sort out the garden.

Removed the rear drive from the G/S and posted it over to Mikey to get the play shimmed out. Also added a cowl to the G/S.

Looks better in the flesh than the picture.

Missing riding the bikes, but hopefully all will be back to normal soon.

Take care everyone. Regard Martin

392f3f78910d096a8b0a85a449d1a2e2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Gerry
Yes I too had my BMW course booking cancelled but chose a refund due to being unable to give firm dates and also the possibility of being unable to attend later in the year,I also have a booking with Honda for June and thats looking unlikely too.We had an email today that most office staff are to go on month rotating furlough but as yet production [Beer] has not been affected.

Gerry

Yes as others have stated well and truly bored, still got some work which is a good thing. Managed to jet wash the drive, paint the gates, clean the windows, sort out the garden.

Removed the rear drive from the G/S and posted it over to Mikey to get the play shimmed out. Also added a cowl to the G/S.

Looks better in the flesh than the picture.

Hi Martin,

I have not finished fitting your mudguard to the G/S yet! Arranged to get some work done by Mikeyboy when we get back to normal.

Only fitted auxiliary lights to the 2 1200s.

After replying to the request to return to work I have now been told I am not needed. :blast

Keep safe
Gerry

A WhatsApp group?
Tufty to the Bat phone please.

I will have a go at setting up a WhatsApp group.

I anyone is interested in joining pm me.

May need email and phone number?

I am sure I will be corrected.

Thanks
Gerry

Hi Gerry
Yes I too had my BMW course booking cancelled but chose a refund due to being unable to give firm dates and also the possibility of being unable to attend later in the year,I also have a booking with Honda for June and thats looking unlikely too.We had an email today that most office staff are to go on month rotating furlough but as yet production [Beer] has not been affected.

Hi Andi

My kids bought the voucher for the BMW course so I accepted the new voucher. It is valid until October 2021.

Still hope I can get the course done this year.

Gerry

WhatsApp group

As mentioned above the WhatsApp group has been set up.

Tested with Phil (barak666) and works :thumby:

Let's get this up and running.

Pm me for the link.

Gerry

As mentioned above the WhatsApp group has been set up.

Tested with Phil (barak666) and works :thumby:

Let's get this up and running.

Pm me for the link.

Gerry
Hi Gerry, nice to here everyone’s doing okay.
Send me the link when you get a minute, it might help break the boredom. Be a key worker lay sports flooring. Don’t ask me how that works :nenau

Back
Top Bottom