ABS Fault - advise required

Richparker

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All
Just done a lot of work to the bike including a service, fitting heated grips and a USB charger, replacing tyres and lots more including cleaning the front caliper pistons and flushing through the brake fluid - the main reason for this last job was that the lever felt a bit spongy. However when I put the bike back together and took it for a run I've got a problem with the ABS. When I pull the lever it pulses almost like the ABS is cutting in, and it does this at all speeds and no matter how much I pull the lever - if I deactivate the ABS everything works fine. The rear brake works fine with ABS activated or deactivated. Is there a special method to bleeding the front brake or has anyone any idea as to what the problem might be?
I've looked for anything obvious such as bare/chafed wires but can't find anything. Has anyone got any ideas? The bike is a 2007 X-Country.
Cheers
Rich

Do you have or can you get access to a GS-911 so you can read the fault codes . Sounds like it may be the front ABS sensor but without diagnostic information it's difficult to say . Double check that the sensor plug is correctly seated and that you have the correct sensor gap on the front wheel sensor ring .

Do you have or can you get access to a GS-911 so you can read the fault codes . Sounds like it may be the front ABS sensor but without diagnostic information it's difficult to say . Double check that the sensor plug is correctly seated and that you have the correct sensor gap on the front wheel sensor ring .

Hi John. I haven't got a GS-911 and don't know anyone with one but I think it might be a worthwhile investment. A mate and me have both got Xcountrys and I wouldn't mind an Xchallenge. Sensor plug is seated OK, I haven't checked the air gap as I don't know what it should be, it would be great if you could let me know what yours is if you've got a couple of minutes to spare. I messaged someone on Advrider who had exactly the same fault as me and this was his reply:

Yea i lost the bike 3 years ago to some old f**k in MD so i haven’t really been on the forums much. But lucky for you, I did fix my issue. So the sensors themselves were missing the washers (I guess I lost them when I removed them not noticing). On top of that the front ABS/Wheel speed rotor (attached the the wheel itself) had a bend it in. Added the washers and bent the bend out it and problem was fixed. Hope this helps

Any idea what the missing washers were on the sensor as mine hasn't got any on either! One thing I haven't done is unscrew the little bleed valve in the fluid reservoir. I'll do that this morning and re-bleed the brake with my vacuum bleeder - although the lever is very good.

Thanks for your help - again!!!

Sensor to ring gap should be between 0.1 to 1.3 mm

The washers mentioned were likely used to get the correct setting of the sensor to ring gap

It is very important that you bleed the reservoir and indeed that may be your issue !

Sensor to ring gap should be between 0.1 to 1.3 mm

The washers mentioned were likely used to get the correct setting of the sensor to ring gap

It is very important that you bleed the reservoir and indeed that may be your issue !

Hi John

All sorted. There was a slight buckle in the ABS rotor - I must of caught it when fitting a new tyre. It wasn't far out but when I started checking the gap it came apparent. Strangely there are no washers on the ABS sensor. I haven't bled the reservoir but when I flushed the old fluid through I didn't let the fluid in the reservoir get too low. The lever feels really good and the brakes work great so I'm a bit loathed to touch anything else, especially after chasing my tail most of the weekend!
On a side note the AF-XIED that I fitted has really sharpened the throttle response - it's money well spent and compliments the Leo Vince silencer.

Cheers

Richard

Hi, I have an ABS light comming on. Rather coincidentally it is after having the tyres changed over. I forgot to remove the wheel speed sensors on wheel removal but removed them for wheel re-fitment. I could have accidentally clouted the sensors. Both sensors have a resistance of 46 ohms, resistance remains the same when rotating the wheels. On both harness leads to sensors I get 0.04v on one pin when keying on and 0 volts on the other pin. I have checked the sensor to abs ring gaps and these are within spec.

Anyone got any suggestions? I don't have access to a code reader so probably need to find an independent mechanic.

Cheers

The ABS fault looks to have cleared. The last thing I tried before taking to an indie mechanic I had found was to clean the abs rings with wire wool. They were slightly rusted but you could still see original finish. I found the rear abs ring was slightly out of true, only by a couple of mm and in one spot. I took this off and trued this up and refitted and all ok so far.

Happy days again.

Back
Top Bottom