Mac to TV Help please

Teamin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ok the wife and I want to be able to sit in the living room and sort through the thousands of holiday photos on the Mac.
What is the best way of connecting the Mac to the TV screen.
The Mac is as the pic and the TV is about 5 years old so I do not believe it will airplay. I have an amazon firestick on another TV ( just in case I could use it )

Also the Mac is getting slow, given the spec, is there anything I could do to improve/upgrade it.

I do not know that much about computers. ( just incase you haven't guessed)

Thanks in advance :beerjug:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-04-05 at 19.38.17.png
    Screenshot 2020-04-05 at 19.38.17.png
    17.6 KB · Views: 208
I have an identical iMac to yours. You can either, as suggested use an Apple TV and view pictures via a wifi or ethernet network or connect the Mac to the TV with an HMDI cable. I'd suggest using a Firewire to HDMI adapter connected into one of the Mac's Firewire ports and attach an HDMI cable to that.

As for speed, I'd suggest adding another 8GB of RAM. It's very easy to do. I see you're not on quite the latest release of Catalina. We're now on 10.15.4. So you might like to upgrade to that.

I'm assuming you've checked for any kind of malware. I know it's uncommon but there is some. Also, how much space is left on your SSD? With 16GB of RAM and about 55% free space on my 1 TB SSD, mine is anything but slow.

HTH

My Apple TV is hard wired to the router but not on the main TV we regularly use it to review photos on the iCloud, very easy to do.

Ok so the mac is too far from the TV for a cable. The Apple TV looks to be the best solution.

Is there any real benefit in splashing out for the latest one or would a 2 or 3 be just as good for what I need?

At the moment, the only thing I can think of doing is just to be able to have what's on the mac up on the TV.

Thanks guys for the advice :thumb2

Hi Schtum, I have 390 GB left on the 1TB SSD and I only have 8 GB of RAM. There are two blank slots for an upgrade. ( should I do this and if so how hard is it to do)

I also have an external 1.5TB SATA disk attached and a 1.5GB Time Machine.

Any advice is much appreciated.

I have an identical iMac to yours. You can either, as suggested use an Apple TV and view pictures via a wifi or ethernet network or connect the Mac to the TV with an HMDI cable. I'd suggest using a Firewire to HDMI adapter connected into one of the Mac's Firewire ports and attach an HDMI cable to that.

As for speed, I'd suggest adding another 8GB of RAM. It's very easy to do. I see you're not on quite the latest release of Catalina. We're now on 10.15.4. So you might like to upgrade to that.

I'm assuming you've checked for any kind of malware. I know it's uncommon but there is some. Also, how much space is left on your SSD? With 16GB of RAM and about 55% free space on my 1 TB SSD, mine is anything but slow.

HTH

Hi Schtum, I have 390 GB left on the 1TB SSD and I only have 8 GB of RAM. There are two blank slots for an upgrade. ( should I do this and if so how hard is it to do)

I also have an external 1.5TB SATA disk attached and a 1.5GB Time Machine.

Any advice is much appreciated.

It's a doddle to add another two 8GB of RAM. Go to the Crucial site and purchase the correct RAM for your machine. If I remember correctly, there's an online video about how to do it. However, quite simply - lay your Mac face down on a soft surface after removing it from the stand. Remove the cover that's between where the stand mounts and the power cable and you'll see the empty RAM slots. You'll have 2 x 4GB already, so you can just plug in another 2 x 4GB.

I have an Apple TV 2 and it no longer updates with the latest software.

If you have the cash, get the latest one possible, it will last for longer and have the most functionality.

It's a doddle to add another two 8GB of RAM. Go to the Crucial site and purchase the correct RAM for your machine. If I remember correctly, there's an online video about how to do it. However, quite simply - lay your Mac face down on a soft surface after removing it from the stand. Remove the cover that's between where the stand mounts and the power cable and you'll see the empty RAM slots. You'll have 2 x 4GB already, so you can just plug in another 2 x 4GB.

If I remember right the Crucial site can scan your iMac and suggest options for upgrade.

tom

Ordered today online :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom