Upgrade to Windows 10 - Update or Clean Install

buncobooth

Reaction score
I am just debating whether to update my Windows 7 machine to Windows 10 by doing a upgrade or clean install. I currently have Mapsource and Basecamp (which I hate) and am wondering what is the effect/process on either of these upgrade methods ? If I do a clean install, what exactly is required to re-load Mapsource (I have the original CD). Do you need to download mapping first (can you even do that) or after the install ? Will it install with no maps ? Will and upgrade to Windows 10 with the existing installation cause any issues ?

TBH I am more inclined to start with a clean environment so that would be my preference if the process isn't too painful.

Ian

do you have lifetime map updates, if so do a clean install, you could if you wish, back all your saved routes up first if you have any.
You should be able to re download your maps providing you have lifetime map updates using garmin express, once you have installed basecamp and mapsource (in that order) you can download the latest versions from garmin.
install the software before the maps.

I loaded Mapsource onto a new W10 computer after a few hicoughs.
From memory you need to have base camp on your computer before you install Mapsource.
It all works fine now so it is possible.
When you've done it if you can't find your maps .... in Mapsource, go to VIEW/SWITCH TO PRODUCT. You should see your maps there..
Long live Mapsource!!
D

Always perform a clean install if possible, but, obviously, you must back up any content or applications that you have to load back on afterwards. Ensure you have all licence keys for any software you need to re-install.

Also, before you go ahead, take a good back up of it in its entirety as is, just in case the worst happens.

If you can't be bothered, upgrade, again, make sure you have a back up beforehand.

do you have lifetime map updates, if so do a clean install, you could if you wish, back all your saved routes up first if you have any.
You should be able to re download your maps providing you have lifetime map updates using garmin express, once you have installed basecamp and mapsource (in that order) you can download the latest versions from garmin.
install the software before the maps.

Yes I do have lifetime updates. Do you need any license key for either Base Camp or Mapsource to activate them ? I have read a few times that you need to load BC then MS after - what is the reason for this ?

Ian

Yes I do have lifetime updates. Do you need any license key for either Base Camp or Mapsource to activate them ? I have read a few times that you need to load BC then MS after - what is the reason for this ?

Ian

Plug your GPS in after you've loaded Basecamp and if its got lifetime maps then Garmin Express will let you download the latest maps to the computer.

Install another hard drive preferably an SSD, taking out your present one and install afresh or perform a full back up image of your present system and you can reimage it back should windows 10 not be to your liking. Windows 10 does not require a serial to install but it will have a few minor restrictions without, that said keys are available for around a tenner or less.

Install another hard drive preferably an SSD, taking out your present one and install afresh or perform a full back up image of your present system and you can reimage it back should windows 10 not be to your liking. Windows 10 does not require a serial to install but it will have a few minor restrictions without, that said keys are available for around a tenner or less.

If you do a search you will still find links to clean licence free versions via Ms own website

The only proviso to be aware of is you only get 10 days to make up your mind.

after that it's a perma install... And you dont need to copy, archive, ssd,sell the cat, wear a tin hat or other crap if you dont want to.

It's aimed at ludites, so point and click mentality

oh and its not very svelte, it is a ram hungry monster, because it has to have 9 tonnes of fancy graphics crap ;)

Still available ;)

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

I have read that you can use an existing Windows 7 license key for the new install (not sure if that works) ! As for BC and MS then that sounds good. Is the order to use Garmin Express to download maps first then BC and MS or do you need BC to "host" the maps before you can download them ?

I have read that you can use an existing Windows 7 license key for the new install (not sure if that works) ! As for BC and MS then that sounds good. Is the order to use Garmin Express to download maps first then BC and MS or do you need BC to "host" the maps before you can download them ?

See the post above, it covers using exsisting licence keys

Back
Top Bottom