H & H Auction....

Tetley

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had a look at the g/s at the auction today. Barn find 5000 miles, rough as. Thought I would have a punt, but didn’t get a look in. It made just over 8k including fees.

Attachments

• B176415A-64D9-4964-B4F1-F2445390564D.jpeg
    B176415A-64D9-4964-B4F1-F2445390564D.jpeg
    148.8 KB · Views: 592
Yeah I had a look at it too, I thought it was worth just shy of the minimum bid amount so didn't bid. It had low miles on clock but I thought other signs said otherwise so presumed clock replaced and I factored in gearbox rebuild and a few other things, a project I guess. When I saw what the bids went up to I thought someone in lockdown after a bottle or two has gone a bit wild with their card and believed it being a low miler.

Also factored in it being a pain in the ass to try and get it back here during lockdown. Looking at it again it looks better than I thought but I'd have been nowhere near the winning bid.The cracked front cover worried me too, not so much about the cover but what may have caused it to be cracked.

One day Steptoe will release all his jewels from his man caves.....

Had a look at the g/s at the auction today. Barn find 5000 miles, rough as. Thought I would have a punt, but didn’t get a look in. It made just over 8k including fees.

Bloody ridiculous, mine’s got a few more mile but must be worth a fortune. The world’s gone mad :D

Edit: I only gave just over 1000 euros for mine 5 years ago.

Prices were strong considering the present circumstances. I too thought the G/S was expensive. I would have liked the R60/6 with what looked like a genuine sub 2k miles but like the G/S it has been stood a little too long to pay over the odds for once recommissioning costs are factored in. It stated the bike had been regularly started: yeah, right. It made just under £5k including fees I believe.
The Vincent Twins seem to be dropping back to less silly prices now if you like that sort of thing but will probably drop back a lot more. Not such a good investment for those who thought paying £50k for one was a good idea not so long ago.

Attachments

• r60-6.jpg
    r60-6.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 474
When I was organising the collection of the VFR I just bought I had a long chat with the guy at Chas Mortimer delivery company about things in general and he told me that they were expecting the online auction to be very successful as many people would be sat at home a bit bored. Looks like he was correct!

Nice bike though how much when new I wonder.

1981 - £2495

6017dd56e47b9132b15f536b3a360a99.jpg

Only 5000 miles in 40 years.

Why is the 80G/S so much more sort after than other models of the same era - R80ST is a better bike in my opinion.

Why is the 80G/S so much more sort after than other models of the same era - R80ST is a better bike in my opinion.

It's the first of the GS dynasty.

The ST might be a good bike but if people had the choice of a new G/S or ST as a keeper I am betting a large majority would chose the G/S and it is a good bike, just not as good as the following paralever :augie

It's the first of the GS dynasty.

The ST might be a good bike but if people had the choice of a new G/S or ST as a keeper I am betting a large majority would chose the G/S and it is a good bike, just not as good as the following paralever :augie

Spot on ..... also the G/s is beautiful but the St is a fuggin ugly bike :D ( I've had three st's though - cough ! ) R80 GS had the smoothest engine and was far more comfortable than the G/s

The G/S was peerless when it launched. You could (and I did) ride across Europe and go trail riding. That's why I bought one and have had one in the garage most of the time since then. The ST is a road bike. It's like saying Comte is better than Wensleydale. It's an argument that's best not started because it's not going anywhere.

The G/S was peerless when it launched. You could (and I did) ride across Europe and go trail riding. That's why I bought one and have had one in the garage most of the time since then. The ST is a road bike. It's like saying Comte is better than Wensleydale. It's an argument that's best not started because it's not going anywhere.

Fair enough, but I rode around France on my XT500 in 1979? and sort of did a bit of trail riding and did some very long Euro tours 2 up on an ST (which, incidentally, is not fugly but not a great 2 up bike). I now have a R80G/S and a 100GS so I am a fan however, I still can’t get my head around the silly money some people seem to be prepared to pay for a G/S.

More useless information.....if you had invested £2500 in the stock market in 1980 it would be worth £56000 now (give or take)

Fair enough, but I rode around France on my XT500 in 1979? and sort of did a bit of trail riding and did some very long Euro tours 2 up on an ST (which, incidentally, is not fugly but not a great 2 up bike). I now have a R80G/S and a 100GS so I am a fan however, I still can’t get my head around the silly money some people seem to be prepared to pay for a G/S.

And I've had an XT600. If it was shaft drive it'd be a nice bike. And if it didn't vibrate like mad I'd still have one! Great off road if you're cracking on but I prefer the plonking nature of a G/S. Each to his own, fortunately.

Back
Top Bottom