I must be bored because...

AndyB_11

Still waiting
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’ve fired up my Tenere outfit. The battery was as dead as a dead thing can be (0.02v) and is way beyond salvation so I’ve got a new one arriving on Saturday. It started after I took the battery out and just connected a battery booster across the terminals. There’s a second battery under the chair which will be dead as well but it was only ever there to provide extra cranking power in cold climates so there’s no need to replace it immediately, I can just bridge the terminals to stop it ripping the guts out of the new one.

I’m taking the rear wheel to have a replacement tyre fitted on Tuesday and after that’s back in the bike I can wheel it out and give it a good scrub. The big decision then is whether to just get rid of it (the sensible option) or get it back on the road then use it a couple of times to see if I can regain the love for a tripod.

It started second prod of the button with no need for chemical persuasion and it had an oil change when a new clutch was fitted about 750 miles ago though that was 4 years back so discretion might be something that needs displaying.

It never did make it to the Arctic wastes which was the reason I went down this route so if I get back to putting money in the bank inside the next couple of months that might persuade me to keep it a bit longer.

I’ll take a couple of pictures once it’s had a wash and let others try to influence me one way or another.

I reckon that even after just a short test run, you'll remember the fun that an outfit is. :thumb

Try using it just for the hell of it, rather than for a dedicated and serious purpose.
Go to the shops on it, and see the folk gawping, and chuckle at them asking daft questions.
Do a coastal fish and chip ride, or ice cream run, on a nice evening.
Go to work on it, and have a laugh.
If you do rallies, go on it.

I reckon you'd regret selling it.

I reckon that even after just a short test run, you'll remember the fun that an outfit is. :thumb

Try using it just for the hell of it, rather than for a dedicated and serious purpose.
Go to the shops on it, and see the folk gawping, and chuckle at them asking daft questions.
Do a coastal fish and chip ride, or ice cream run, on a nice evening.
Go to work on it, and have a laugh.
If you do rallies, go on it.

I reckon you'd regret selling it.

I think the last line of your reply is the right one.

My wife and I were looking at it today and agreed that the biggest issue is that it’s in the way but a bit of rearranging of the garage would make other bikes more accessible without making the outfit inaccessible if you know what I mean?

I think the last line of your reply is the right one.

My wife and I were looking at it today and agreed that the biggest issue is that it’s in the way but a bit of rearranging of the garage would make other bikes more accessible without making the outfit inaccessible if you know what I mean?

:thumb

Yep, I know exactly what you mean.
One of my Ural combos has to live on my drive to avoid totally choking my garage.
The other one used to be in the far corner of the garage but that meant having to move four or five bikes just to get it out.
I'm sure you realise that meant it never coming out.
I head-scratched and rearranged like buggery, and finally had some bikes parked sideways across the garage but in front of the Ural....so I could just about roll them out of line individually to get them out....or simply wheel the Ural out without disturbing the solos.

If space is tight, perhaps those bike mover dollies would help you to rearrange yet still use your bikes.

Today’s good news was that the second battery took a charge and seems to be in good condition so I’ve refitted it. One thing that seemed a bit strange to me but probably has a perfectly good explanation was that I connected the booster again and the bike fired up instantly then carried on running after I removed the booster suggesting that the back up was supplying the power. If I turned the bike off then back on again with no booster connected and checked across the terminals it showed 0v and obviously enough nothing lit up.

Not to worry, the new main battery should be here tomorrow so I’ll fit that and make sure everything is functioning as it should.

Pics please!

I'm interested to see what kind of Tenere you have.

It’s a 2009 XT660Z that I’ve had from new.

I’ve fitted the new battery and it’s starting 1st push now so that’s good but the second battery isn’t taking a charge so that’s on the list of things needing investigation.

I should be fitting the rear wheel on Tuesday so as soon as I get a decent day when I can wire brush it back to cleanliness I’ll do that then take photos.

It’s picture time

cffd1e7ea8de7aa501bf95753ceff1b5.jpg

bb5ccca4a953691192d0d827a207ac44.jpg

151713a31d1c3f994a4784c46da7c35c.jpg

Because I changed the rear sprocket for a smaller one when I had a new cush drive hub fitted it needs a new chain so I’ll change the front as well and order a new chain then essentially it’s ready for an mot test.

It’s scrubbed up quite well apart from the obvious rust and a few flakey bits on the swinging arm but that’s about it.

It’s picture time

cffd1e7ea8de7aa501bf95753ceff1b5.jpg

bb5ccca4a953691192d0d827a207ac44.jpg

151713a31d1c3f994a4784c46da7c35c.jpg

Because I changed the rear sprocket for a smaller one when I had a new cush drive hub fitted it needs a new chain so I’ll change the front as well and order a new chain then essentially it’s ready for an mot test.

It’s scrubbed up quite well apart from the obvious rust and a few flakey bits on the swinging arm but that’s about it.

You can't sell that,you just can't. Its a pity I don't live closer to you, I would willingly jump in the chair; I used to passenger on a 1000cc Grass track outfit. Mind you,I was a fair bit younger then!

I've been mulling over something with three wheels, was struggling with the knees on the XCountry and that's got a new owner. Once this coronavirus is over, unless it lasts so long as to bankrupt me, I'm minded to tidy the garage up with some epic tip trips and go hunting for an interesting outfit. Roughly how much would this rather nice one sell for, any guesses?

If we’d been given a clue which rather nice one he meant it’d help.

If we’d been given a clue which rather nice one he meant it’d help.

Seeing as the thread is about your Tenere outfit, and it's the only one shown, I'd take a safe bet on him meaning yours. :D :augie

BMW Aircooled Monoshock Rear wheel on the Chair

Class looking Set up I agree with Tarka You struggle to get somewhere with something and then you get it "just right"

Then you don;t use it and sell it, and the first words after that are "Schit what have I done?"

Back
Top Bottom