Mapsource does not recognise XT on a PC

Garry H

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
If you "ONLY use mapsource and nothing else"...

Mapsource does not even recognize the XT is connected ( i know you can save the files from mapsource and trasfer them to the XT on the pc ) But one of the GPX files i transfered this way the XT did not like

IMHO if you have a modern Garmin GPS you really need to get your head around basecamp

Last edited by a moderator:
I cut this post from another thread in the hope that it will be helpful for others who use Mapsource as their prefered Garmin software for plotting routes and want to invest in an XT.

Richard

I no longer use Mpasource as I have a Mac and am reasonably comfortable using BaseCamp.

From my time with PC's and earlier Garmin devices, I half recall that, following some Mapsource update or other, there was a challenge in newer Garmin devices being detectable in Mapsource. There was, I think, some sort of workaround perhaps? - Edit: Go to posts 9 and 10

This of course is quite different to the recent numerous complaints on the slow speeds by which some home computers detect Garmin devices being attached.

Here is the best workaround
Install basecamp and figure out how to use it :hide
Once you have sussed it you won't look back

The Zumo forum links in that thread seem to be dead.

Does anybody remember what the procedure was. If so, please share. Doing so may help others.

Does the procedure mention by Bear in the thread not worK?

Does the procedure mention by Bear in the thread not worK?

Excellent, thank you. I missed that post down at the bottom.

Richard

FOR ANYONE AS STUPID AS ME WHO MISSES IT TOO, here is the possible solution:

You change it from Media Transfer Protocol to Mass Storage. On my Nuvi 2595 and Zumo 350 the sequence is to open the volume screen and touch the top right corner for just over 5 seconds. This opens a list of options: select MTP Settingss and then Mass Storage.

I found the procedure that I copied and sent to a mate a few years back for his 590. Slightly different to the above.

- enter the navigation map screen
- press speed
- in next screen hold down the round speed button in the center for 5 seconds
- choose 'configuration and settings’
- MTP settings
- choose mass storage

Then reconnect to your computer and Mapsource will see the 590.

You can see the XT in windows file explorer without altering anything
So you can always save the route as a GPX from Mapsource and upload it to the GPX folder on the XT
I quite often transfer files this way...Very occasionally it can cause a problem

There doesn’t appear to be a mass storage option on my XT
Followed steps above and reach a screen with mass transfer auto detect ?

The easiest way to do it if you have Garmin drive on your phone linked to the Zumo is to save the route or (several routes!)as a .gpx file(s) and email them to asn account you access on your phone. When you open the email on your phone and click on the GPX attachment(s) it will likely open garmin drive automatically (it does on my phone) and asks do I want the file sent to the XT when its next started. Just click yes. When you start your XT the routes will be in Imported routes under Trip planner.

The easiest way to do it if you have Garmin drive on your phone linked to the Zumo is to save the route or (several routes!)as a .gpx file(s) and email them to asn account you access on your phone. When you open the email on your phone and click on the GPX attachment(s) it will likely open garmin drive automatically (it does on my phone) and asks do I want the file sent to the XT when its next started. Just click yes. When you start your XT the routes will be in Imported routes under Trip planner.
thanks but it doesnt.
have the garmin drive app, link XT via BT to phone, open gpx file attached to an email on phone, get a page of computer gibberish, but no transfer of gpx to XT, ah well, just stick to the steamage methodolgy

Back
Top Bottom