XT not recognised in BaseCamp on a Mac.... a possible answer and work around

er-minio's suggestion is the best one. :thumb2

The other point to make is that you are using the original cable that came with the XT as that has been an issue .

Good luck.

Still no success ; I’ve resorted to exporting to Navigator, then Bluetooth transfer to Xumo . That’s complete stupid bollocks

And Richy Vida now describing g a very complex workaround for Calimoto using a countless sequence of screen clicks ( complete bonkers ).Imagine needing to go through this sequence before every ride ;

https://youtu.be/YNWQ2F0JjMs

Having had good help from er-minio, I use Commander One (see post #8) but only for removing deleted routes from my XT, there being no other way to remove them with my Mac.

For route creation, I now use MyRoute *, saving the route to the cloud. I then open MyRoute on my iPhone and send the route to my XT via Garmin Drive. It seems to work very reliably.

* I was always a big BaseCamp fan but it has become increasingly flakey on my Mac. Once I got used to MyRoute, I found it works really well, with the added advantage that I can use my iPad or iPhone for route creation. That I can also use MyRoute to create routes for use in BMW’s Connected app, is another bonus.

I keep liking Basecamp, and I use it quite a lot. Both for planning roadriding, offroad, cycling and hiking routes. Sad day when it stops working.
Nowadays it does crash everytime I quit it.

I might think that GrinningGSr has some external problem maybe?
Might be useful to understand what his setup his (computer, etc).

I agree with Wapping, would do a test with CommanderOne (you can use it for free for a while) and check if it sees the Zumo.

I agree, BaseCamp is / was really good, especially as an easy to access library of routes and / or for route creation. It’s its new instability that is the main problem. That a Mac can’t see an XT is just an annoyance, which can be worked around…. Even by an IT illiterate like me (with help).

I keep liking Basecamp, and I use it quite a lot. Both for planning roadriding, offroad, cycling and hiking routes. Sad day when it stops working.
Nowadays it does crash everytime I quit it.

I might think that GrinningGSr has some external problem maybe?
Might be useful to understand what his setup his (computer, etc).

I agree with Wapping, would do a test with CommanderOne (you can use it for free for a while) and check if it sees the Zumo.

Hi er-minio , my setup is ; MBP i5 2020 running macOS Monterey 12.4 . Basecamp 4.8.12 ( the latest version ) USBc ports x4 . No special software loaded . Everything is AppStore . No parallels on this current machine . ‘Bog standard’
No problems whatsoever communicating with Nav V. XT communicates with Garmin Express , but following instructions here , I have disabled automatic opening if express . Fresh reboot of MBP and nothing unusual running , and MBP refuses to recognise that an xt is connected . Weird . I’ve tried using the different usbc inputs.
Defeated , but my current workaround is to send a route to NavV and Bluetooth it to XT and that’s easy , but bonkers. I love Basecamp

Have you tried loading Commander One, see post #8 and then connecting your XT?

It is what I did, with good help from er-minio. It is / was the only way I could find to allow an XT to join up with BaseCamp on my modern Mac.

Could you explain why Commander One could make the XT visible to Basecamp ? I fear ‘polluting ‘ my OSX .

er-minio, who helped me get Commander One installed (as I am a complete incompetent when it comes to such stuff) can explain, I’m sure.

But to my innocent eye, it enables a non-Android Mac to ‘see’ an Android XT. Simple as that…. Or not, if I am totally wrong. Anyway, it works…. Even for a numpty like me.

Hi er-minio , my setup is ; MBP i5 2020 running macOS Monterey 12.4 . Basecamp 4.8.12 ( the latest version ) USBc ports x4 . No special software loaded . Everything is AppStore . No parallels on this current machine . ‘Bog standard’

Good. And it is not an M1/M2 machine. Better.

XT communicates with Garmin Express , but following instructions here , I have disabled automatic opening if express . Fresh reboot of MBP and nothing unusual running , and MBP refuses to recognise that an xt is connected . Weird . I’ve tried using the different usbc inputs.

But you had Android File Transfer (AFT for friends).
My guess is that AFT's daemon is still running despite you deleting the app.

but bonkers. I love Basecamp

I love Basecamp too :)
We'll sort it out.

By the way: CommanderOne, that Wapping is suggesting is clean software. It won't mess up your Mac. And you can use to connect to the XT or at least verify if the XT connects to the Mac.

Before doing that, I'd verify if Android File Transfer is messing things up.
Can you reboot your Mac and then do:

Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor.
You'll see a list of processes running on your computer.

Top right corner is a search field. Try searching for "daemon" first and after that try a few extra searches using the keywords "and", "android", "transfer" (one at a time) and let us know what comes up in the list.

Apologies as I don't remember the exact process name...

Just to explain what is happening here... this is from my experience (at the time - not sure if things changed in the meantime) with Android File Transfer:

- Zumo connects only to one software at a time
- Android file transfer automatically starts when you boot your computer and it hijacks the connection to the zumo all the times
- even if you delete the Android transfer app, its daemon (that is the bit of software that keeps running in the background and checks when you connect an Android device) is left behind and keeps running, and keeps hijacking the xt when connected

I want to double check if that is what is happening on your computer.

Thanks er-minio . Yes , I did have AFT , but removed Android file transfer some time ago , immediately after your earlier advice. I searched my entire Mac for any leftover files. Likewise activity monitor search reveals no daemon or Android or transfer
After removal of Android file transfer, there was still no success with the XT
I find it weird that Express finds it and Basecamp does not .
p.s. Express auto launch is disabled

Thanks , brilliant I’ve got it to see the xt I’ve put the hammer away

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wonder if the bmw connected ride navigator will connect to base camp . I think it’s tomtom based so maybe not just a thought

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

XT and XT2 must have Garmin Express disabled from automatic launching, otherwise Garmin Express hijacks the connection . Then wait for two minutes for XT or XT2 to go into its connection mode .
Basecamp then gives ‘unsupported device ‘ message with XT2 , but still uploads and downloads files , but NOT flawlessly , sadly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom