Waze - limitations

Santa-2512

Omnipotent one
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Following on from the posts about the Wonderlinq adaptor,

The software is quite clever, so i was having a play with it and what it links too.

its quite happy to link to Spotify but navigation wasnt that clear

You can get the Wonderlinq software to link to a media player of your choice, but i couldnt see how to link it to Nav program,

So i thought does it go the otherway round, ie can you link a Nav program too it

So i started with Waze, which threw up an interesting issue, hence the post.

I gave it a destination - Strontian which it finds on the map, but steadfastly refuses to navigate too.

It just returns an unable to calculate route error...

I initially put it down to the fact that you need to take a ferry to get to Strontian, and was that what was causing the problem.

It would appear not. Waze is infact the problem

I contacted the developers at Waze, and told them the problem

This was there reply

Hi ,

Thanks for contacting us about having issues generating a route.

Please know that regardless of the number of miles, if a route takes too long to calculate, Waze will automatically time-out.

Waze was intended to help commuters or people driving short distances. Since our data is based on real updates and traffic conditions, it's tough to plan for long routes; however, we are working to expand our servers that can support long routes.

Best,
Robin
Waze Support Team

I initially put it down to the fact that you need to take a ferry to get to Strontian,...

You don't have to take a ferry. There are two other possible routes which avoid the Corran Ferry, if you're coming from the South.

How odd, seems to work ok for me. Although the Waze support response describes exactly how I use the App.

e3d5594d228d2ec75fb98bd530176a68.jpg

Wunderlinq currently interfaces with the much-improved Scenic app, which itself connects to the very excellent route planning website Kurviger.

Someone in the other thread about this asked why bother? Well for me it does away with the Nav6 and the hateful Garmin derived software like Basecamp. It also means I just have one thing to stick into the bike - my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I had a similar experience with Waze when I was touring last year. I ended up using Google Maps, which didn’t time out and effectively gave the same routing. It also gave some excellent routes with the “avoid motorways” option on. The only drawback for me was that it wouldn’t route when I wanted to enter a new destination but had no mobile signal, which happened in a Cornish car park and again up in the Highlands.

....it does away with the Nav6 and the hateful Garmin derived software like Basecamp

Cardinal Fang, read the charges.

You are hereby charged that, with malice aforethought, did in the year of our Lord twenty thousand and twenty (when a great pestilence walks the land, it being the Devil’s work) did besmirch the name of Garmin and that of his disciple, BaseCamp and that of his servant, Navigator VI and have forsaken them to worship false idols. Your punishment shall be to be cast into the pit of the 1200 section to be besieged by devils each continuously enquiring as to what oil matches their gloves. Go now!

How odd, seems to work ok for me. Although the Waze support response describes exactly how I use the App.

e3d5594d228d2ec75fb98bd530176a68.jpg

Wunderlinq currently interfaces with the much-improved Scenic app, which itself connects to the very excellent route planning website Kurviger.

Someone in the other thread about this asked why bother? Well for me it does away with the Nav6 and the hateful Garmin derived software like Basecamp. It also means I just have one thing to stick into the bike - my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's interesting,

how did you get the wonderlinq software to start navigation?

i havnt got the dongle, but have been playing with the software,

I get the 12 data boxes up and then my nex screen is music,

which i linked from the settings to spotify, it works, but does not pull artwork across

Then i get quick tasks, and back to the data screens

No nav options other than a trip log.

re waze, i'm about another 150 miles south of you so might be on the limits of its calculable range

Back
Top Bottom