Very moving in the current times (Ypres Menim gate)

Three years ago I was there, Anzac Day ...

It takes off at two minutes ...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9uHuqrbx890" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've visited a few times. My great grandfather is buried just a couple of hundred yards away ...

:beerjug:

Glad they are still doing it. I’ve been a couple of times myself. Both Grandfathers lost brothers in WW1 one on 1 July 1916 at the Somme and one at Arras. Both are commemorated on memorials, Thiepval and Vis-en-Artois so no graves. I still have my maternal great uncles bible and swagger stick. Interesting to read the notes in pencil in the margins of the bible. He started in the Royal Irish rifles and was a corporal in the East Yorkshire regiment when he was killed at 23. His sister my great aunt was born in 1900 and lived until 2004! She never lost her marbles and I felt I knew him by the stories she’d tell.

I’ve been a number of times, the first time was in a December, I took my father and it was -11, the team marched out and did service for probably 50 of us, very moving. A few months later I took my family at half term it was rammed, 100s if not 1000s, the team that marched out were very different from the old boys I’d seen in the winter, they were like the commando version, still very moving.

I’d urge anyone to go out there for a few days to get a feel for the vast numbers involved. Make sure you include plenty of time for the Flanders in the Field museum at the cloth hall, also in Ypres.

Have been a couple of times, last was the day Harry Patch died and they included a short reading about him, it’s a moving experience but also jolly at times with some of the marching tunes.

Quite like Amiens. Nice to sit by the river Somme for a meal then go and see the light show at the Cathedral.

1st time we stayed 20+yrs ago a hotelier just off the main square let us put the old FJ1200 in his conservatory shifted some tables & chairs out of the way, couldn't believe it after the treatment you used to get in the UK. Took several mates there over the years, well worth a visit on the way back to the ferry.. check out the Cloth Hall & St George's church as well though.

I've lost count of how many times I've visited Ypres, there are 177 war cemeteries in and around Ypres. If you haven't visited yet, its a must.

We found my Great Uncle's grave in Kemmel (just outside Ypres), he was killed on 21st June 1915 shortly after his 18th birthday.

Two years ago I was invited to read the Exhortation at the Last Post Ceremony, Menin Gate and I must say, it was probably the most humbling moment of my life.

I can highly recommend staying here. Its literally directly opposite the Menin Gate and owned by a guy called Benoit Mottrie, the current and only 4th ever president of The Last Post Association - Preceded by his Uncle, Grand Father, Great Grand Father.

https://www.meningatehouse.com/en/

Just giving Micky's video (post 2 above) a bump, as it's Anzac Day today!

Just giving Micky's video (post 2 above) a bump, as it's Anzac Day today!

Cheers Peter :thumby:

You would be across there now but for this sh1te Corona thingy!

On the actual uTube video it has 166 likes and ten dislikes :eek:

Cheers Peter :thumby:

You would be across there now but for this sh1te Corona thingy!

On the actual uTube video it has 166 likes and ten dislikes :eek:

10 dislikes? There's some funny buggers around, right enough. Anyhow, how about the Pogues to continue the Anzac Day theme?

10 dislikes? There's some funny buggers around, right enough. Anyhow, how about the Pogues to continue the Anzac Day theme?

Gallipoli 2009

i-f5BSjWJ-L.jpg

i-Fq7QCxz-L.jpg

10 dislikes? There's some funny buggers around, right enough. Anyhow, how about the Pogues to continue the Anzac Day theme

Prefer the Eric Bogle version ...

I've visited Suvla Bay, sat on the beach there ...

Imagine my dismay when speaking to Eric Bogle at one of his concerts ... he'd never been, never visited :blast

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ufxRotL6uns" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My great uncle KIA 19/12/1942

Australian Light Horse

Deep respect ... 19th December my birthday, albeit four years later :bow

Edit ... I hope this takes nothing away from the original post by Team Duvet :)

Back
Top Bottom