BMW Nav V and VI - Skip waypoint function - How it works in action

Wapping

Reaction score
The Nav V and VI (along with I assume the other devices of the same ilk in the generic Garmin range) both have the 'Skip waypoint' function. I so rarely use waypoints as opposed to shaping points I had forgotten how it worked, so I though I'd remind myself. To do this I created a 75 mile route in and around London. Into it I put eight waypoints, sufficient shaping points to force the route along and some additional shaping points (often just placed in a straight line along a road) just so I had some extras in case they made any difference. Given the huge number of potential road choices in and around the capital I believe that this was more than representative of even the longest route anyone might create for a day out on their motorcycle. This is what I found. So reliable were my findings I am convinced that Garmin devices offering the skip waypoint feature should all behave the same way.

1. I fired up the device and previewed the map version of the route, ensuring it was the same as I had created in BaseCamp. It was. I then pushed, GO

2. I was presented with the usual choices of where to navigate to from where I stood. These were: My start point, any one of the eight waypoints and the end point, just as one would expect.

3. I chose the first waypoint, about two hundred yards away. The route imported perfectly, the start point, the eight intermediate waypoints (represented as little yellow flags) and the blue dot shaping points and the end point were all there. The distance, route shape and estimated time to complete were all perfect.

4. I rode my bicycle to and through the first waypoint, the route behaving perfectly.

5. I then stopped the route completely and rode back to home. I next summoned up the route again, again choosing the first waypoint from the list. Again, the route displayed perfectly. I rode towards the waypoint but instead of going through it, I took some side streets to miss it out deliberately, effectively skipping it out by choice. My device realised I was off route and did its very best to send me back to the waypoint, just as I expected it should. I then did what the device told me to do, turned around and rode through through the waypoint, whereupon the device was satisfied that it had taken me to where I had asked it to go and all was well with the full route thereafter.

6. I stopped the route again and peddled back home. I summoned up the route again, choosing the first waypoint from the list. I pedalled towards it but before I arrived I asked the device to give skip the waypoint, which it did, recalculating the my bespoke route in the process, just as I expected it would. This is how:

It routed me from where I stood directly to the next (ie the second) waypoint on the list. By directly, I mean it did it according to my preference settings, ignoring any blue shaping points that I had inserted between the first waypoint and the second. From the second point onwards the remainder of the route route ran perfectly. Just to check, I rode to the second waypoint and past it, following the recalculated magenta line all the way. Whilst it did not follow my original bespoke route between where I stood and the second waypoint (it selected different roads) it was perfect, my bespoke route running perfectly thereafter.

7. I stopped the route and rode back home. I restarted the route, selected and rode towards the first waypoint, skipped it using the button, following the recalculated route towards the second point but before I got there, I pushed the skip waypoint button again. I have effectively skipped two waypoints from my bespoke route.

8. Again the route recalculated, this time taking me directly (according to my preference settings) from where I stood to the third waypoint, again ignoring any shaping points in between. From the third point, my bespoke route ran perfectly thereafter, following the shaping points exactly.

10. I then tried all sorts of combinations of stopping the route, choosing different first destinations from the list and skipping multiple waypoints. Each time the device recalculated my bespoke route in exactly the same way. Each time, no matter what, it always reverted back to the bespoke route, just as soon as I arrived at the waypoint I had asked the device to take me to.
11. In short, it all worked just as I expected it would and should.

Summary:

A. The skip waypoint function works and works well, even for multiple skips in a single route.

B. Pushing the skip waypoint button MUST result in a recalculation, as you have changed the instruction you originally gave to the device, which was to take you to and through a waypoint. You, not the device, have opted to skip the waypoint out. There has to be a recalculation or the device cannot do what you have asked it to do.

B. The recalculation may well change your bespoke route, as you have asked your device to to take you from where you stand to a fresh destination. This recalculation will be done according to your device's preference settings; the device has no choice and cannot to do otherwise. If there are no alternative roads beyond those you selected in your bespoke route, the recalculated route will not differ at all from your bespoke route to the next waypoint. If there are alternative roads and the device selects those roads, the freshly recalculated route offered up will differ from those you chose when you made your bespoke route. The differences may be significant, depending on a large number of variables.

C. Any intermediate shaping points you might have put into your bespoke route between where you stand and the next waypoint you have skipped to, will be ignored. In short, the recalculation to skip a waypoint is driven by destination and preference settings, not by any existing shaping points.

D. As soon as you reach the next waypoint, your bespoke route will run perfectly thereafter (following all and any shaping points and waypoints you put in) right to the end of the route.

E. If you do not create your own bespoke routes, you may not notice that a recalculated route differs if a waypoint is skipped and you may not care anyway.

F. All the above worked in exactly the same way, whether I used my Nav V or VI.

Interesting! I sometimes use Skip Waypoint if for some reason I have to restart a route when I'm part way along it. I usually only have start and end waypoints, plus maybe one other just after the start. I use the Skip function to skip these first two points and I'm still guided on the bespoke route to the end. I guess the difference with your scenarios is that I'm already on the magenta line when I use the skip function so that no recalculation is required.

i use this function site alot i have the skip function on my route page all the time, saves going into menus to find it to skip. on the main interface page, press skip ,and it does exactly what you say Wapping .

Back
Top Bottom