Ireland - The Wild Atlantic Way

Smaller and lighter? I’ll being using my 1600 :eek:

You'll be fine! :comfort:D

You can ride it on pretty much anything really. My reasons for going smaller and lighter are I'd probably ditch the damping kit, and would want to spend more time exploring on the smaller roads that are all around the route. Last time we hooned round it a bit too much, next time I'd chill more and take my time!

You'll be fine! :comfort:D

You can ride it on pretty much anything really. My reasons for going smaller and lighter are I'd probably ditch the damping kit....

I guessed as much.

Even with my very limited knowledge of the roads of the west coast of Ireland, I’d wager damping was the last thing you’d ditch.

But if you mean ditching your damp kit, given the area’s propensity for rain, you’ll be naked by the end of the day... though all the pictures are stunning, so it can’t rain every day.

Even with my very limited knowledge of the roads of the west coast of Ireland, I’d wager damping was the last thing you’d ditch.

Oops should have checked my spelling, should have said camping :blast

Didn't rain once whilst we were there and you do most definitely need damping on your suspension!

Ah ha, that explains it Iveragh, never go there too many people, still I guess you were going against the flow of coaches.

Think we were the only guests when we stayed !!!

One of my favourite 'go to' places of all time :thumb

Three places to stay ...

Fullerton Arms Ballintoy

Caisleáin Óir Hotel Annagry, Co Donegal

Casey's Hotel Glengarriff, West Cork

There are of course many fine hotels and places to stay along the WAW, but these are three of my favourites :thumb

:beerjug:

The Smuggler’s Inn as mentioned above was fabulous.Basic rooms but great food and stunning views.

Crotty’s in Kilrush was good too.

743dd2812bd3c2e8e4741fa8ba7df762.jpg

Have done much of the WAW on bikes with my brother and son. Just book B and B sensible distances apart. Also done it many times as a coach driver. Could be part of a convoy of 17/ 18 coaches not intended but it happens. 64 passengers all arriving at the restaurant 5 minutes behind another coach and another one on the way. I used to ask the other drivers which way they were going most headed for Galway. I’d head straight for Limerick. This was for the Cliffs of Moher. Usually ended up with shorter ques. JJH

Thanks all. If only the world were as keen on sharing ideas on Wales....

:comfort
Like this route, Wales has already been done to death :D

The Wild Atlantic Way is very well signposted, I'd suggest follow the signs and use your gps purely as a map looking for ways to find the hidden gems just off the main tourist trail, like these :)

P1010309-X2.jpg

P1010413-XL.jpg

P1010466-X2.jpg

Got to add that when we done it in 2016 or 17 it was the wettest summer for years. Roads flooding bridges washed away 5 inches of water on the roads. All the b and bs we’re really good. Some giving us places to dry our clothing and lifts into the local pub or whatever. Not a bad word to say about any of them. JJH

The Wild Atlantic Way is very well signposted, I'd suggest follow the signs and use your gps purely as a map looking for ways to find the hidden gems just off the main tourist trail, like these :)

The whole of Europe, from the northerly tip of Norway to the bottom tips of Italy and Spain (including Iceland) and from the western edge of Portugal to the far east edge of Turkey have been ‘Done to death’. But, strange as it may seem, there are still people who, in the 21st century,
appreciate some advice or even encouragement on where to go and / what it might be like. If in doubt, just look at the posts in the Travel section that start “I am off to....” followed by requests for advice, up to and including that ‘done to death’ country, Morocco. Not least, bods from well outside the borders of the British aisles drop into this forum looking for ideas and sometimes advice. If this sub-section and others like it help them to maybe visit us, as often as we often visit them, great.

Nobody doubts that you (and many others) have ‘done it’, as they say and know all the twiddly bits just as well as the bloody twiddly-dee music playing bloke in Pat’s Bar in O’Flaherty Street, County Kerry knows all his twiddly bits, too. That’s great. People can either find them for themselves or you and others can help them. If you chose not to, great. Or if you think your help and assistance should be limited to bods on off-road bikes over the volcano fields of Eyjafjallajökull, great too. They doubtless appreciate it as well ;)

The whole of Europe, from the northerly tip of Norway to the bottom tips of Italy and Spain (including Iceland) and from the western edge of Portugal to the far east edge of Turkey have been ‘Done to death’. But, strange as it may seem, there are still people who, in the 21st century,
appreciate some advice or even encouragement on where to go and / what it might be like. If in doubt, just look at the posts in the Travel section that start “I am off to....” followed by requests for advice, up to and including that ‘done to death’ country, Morocco. Not least, bods from well outside the borders of the British aisles drop into this forum looking for ideas and sometimes advice. If this sub-section and others like it help them to maybe visit us, as often as we often visit them, great.

Nobody doubts that you (and many others) have ‘done it’, as they say and know all the twiddly bits just as well as the bloody twiddly-dee music playing bloke in Pat’s Bar in O’Flaherty Street, County Kerry knows all his twiddly bits, too. That’s great. People can either find them for themselves or you and others can help them. If you chose not to, great. Or if you think your help and assistance should be limited to bods on off-road bikes over the volcano fields of Eyjafjallajökull, great too. They doubtless appreciate it as well ;)

If you could be bothered, you'll find a lot of detail in my past ride reports from many places.

P1010309-X2.jpg

P1010413-XL.jpg

P1010466-X2.jpg

Photo number 1, I re-roofed the highest building in that photo, Clenough, Beara, the village died out after a boat load of fishermen drowned. Falling for a Dancer was filmed there. A TV series that made it onto the BBC in the Year 2000

If you could be bothered, you'll find a lot of detail in my past ride reports from many places.

I have been going through looking for posts, outside of the ride reports section, in order to kick this sub-section off. If you’d like to add more here, feel free. I am sure it’ll be welcome.

Back
Top Bottom