Ireland - The Wild Atlantic Way

Day 2

For me the route below is another good days riding with lots to see and do. Valencia island can be reached by ferry if using this route and is maybe about 5 mins to cross at most. You can ride the other side straight to the main land. In the pic its the white dot south west of Cahersiveen

CB599269-B3A8-4168-BCD3-7055231EF6FB_1_201_a.jpg

29625F84-0A12-4ECF-AAAD-30766615DE71.jpg

You'll find this beautiful grotto if you look hard enough on the island, it was one of the photo rally points last year in Ireland. No filters on this photo, when I came home I seen the rainbow and thought wow that was an epic trip.

D3CD4C9E-6F2E-4A94-829C-33D8A4A9D2AD.jpeg

Not everyones cup of tea but I wild camped on the Shannon estuary exact co ords 52.572922, -9.500983 on Carrig Island. Ive been here on a couple of trips and never a bother with the locals just a friendly how are you and did you travel far today. Pic from a previous trip, sorry for the poor quality its a snapshot from a YouTube clip as I deleted the originals:blast

CE966E57-AFE9-4503-B0FF-118DA953E745.jpg

Been following this thread as I've a travelling itch that badly needs scratching once things return to something somewhat normal. Resumption of international trips will take a while longer to materialize I think - I've a feeling 'outsiders' will be given sideways looks for a while just about everywhere in case they carry viral luggage with them.

I Most likely will fall onto the WAW somewhere be it at the top, middle or bottom. Spoilt for choice really - just about every part of it has much to offer... Just hope the ability to settle down with a nice cold pint of stout in front of you will also have returned. :eek:

Been following this thread...

As have I.

Whilst it’s all a holiday (and it’s easy to have a good time on holiday) I haven’t heard about anyone not having a good time. We can accept that the weather will be what the weather will be. Nicer if it’s sunny but if it must rain, then you can’t stop it just by wishing it wouldn't. I guess I won’t be going much between mid-October thro’ to April anyway, so the winter storms can near enough be discounted. I’d like to add in the Northern Ireland section, too and see the things between Belfast and Muff as well. I am lucky enough to be able to buy leave from work, so could very nearly spend a month ‘doing it all’ and no doubt still miss bits I should have seen. If nothing else, it’s nice to have a dream. I had planned to be away for four weeks in August / September with a good friend of mine, to ride around France and into Spain. It’s something we have spoken about (usually empowered by London Pride) for several years. Now, just months before we were all booked-up to go, the whole shebang looks like it’s going to be off. Dreams are often punctured by the sharp pin of reality. The truth is, don’t put things off for too long.... and I’ve been putting of Ireland all of my life. I’d better go before the next disaster strikes.

Day 3

For me after doing two days on twisty country roads I like to hit the motorway and get across to Achill Island, its one of the most majestic spots in Ireland, I think anyways. I do prefer to spend a few hours on the island and make up for it by talking the main roads to get there. There are many places in between this is just my fancy. I have Keem Bay marked on the map too. Worth noting I bottomed out a cruiser on the road onto the island, the potholes are big and ugly - the 800gs was spot on though.

D3.jpg

D3 1.jpg

keem-bay.jpg

Plenty of camping to be had, wild camping or campsite, they generally cost between €12-15 for a night and should include, wifi, hot shower and access to the usual amenities for that price. I will add the winds can be quick to pick up so choose your pitch smartly. Heres how a few ended up after a storm blew over one night, some of them just literally slept with the tents wrapped around them

k1.jpg

Here was me tucked in behind the sand dunes on a beach on the far side of the island, snug as a bug

me.jpg

Love Achill and particularly Keem Bay. Fascinating history to the place - it is where they used to land basking sharks that populate the waters.
I learned to surf in Achill, on Keel Beach a few years ago with the kids. Getting in to the ocean in the West of Ireland isn't as daunting as you would think as the sea is remarkably warm.

As have I.

Whilst it’s all a holiday (and it’s easy to have a good time on holiday) I haven’t heard about anyone not having a good time. We can accept that the weather will be what the weather will be. Nicer if it’s sunny but if it must rain, then you can’t stop it just by wishing it wouldn't. I guess I won’t be going much between mid-October thro’ to April anyway, so the winter storms can near enough be discounted. I’d like to add in the Northern Ireland section, too and see the things between Belfast and Muff as well. I am lucky enough to be able to buy leave from work, so could very nearly spend a month ‘doing it all’ and no doubt still miss bits I should have seen. If nothing else, it’s nice to have a dream. I had planned to be away for four weeks in August / September with a good friend of mine, to ride around France and into Spain. It’s something we have spoken about (usually empowered by London Pride) for several years. Now, just months before we were all booked-up to go, the whole shebang looks like it’s going to be off. Dreams are often punctured by the sharp pin of reality. The truth is, don’t put things off for too long.... and I’ve been putting of Ireland all of my life. I’d better go before the next disaster strikes.

I’ve been going over to Ireland, on a motorcycle, since the mid 80s, usually to visit the relatives but I do incorporate a bit of touring.
IME, and I’ve been in all 4 seasons, June has been the driest month closely followed by September. Note that even if there’s a heatwave, it will still rain in the far west: Kerry, Connemara, Donegal. But, as you say, attitude and the right clothes are the answer to weather and, in 35 years, I’ve never come across a pub with a leaky roof :beer:

On that note - The only accommodation I’ve ever booked is a B&B close to the port the night before an early sailing back, even in mid-August in tourist hot spots :eek:.
Why? Well Ireland is not like any other country I’ve visited (Russia maybe but I’ve not been there yet). You can be riding through the countryside, in the middle of nowhere and stop at an isolated pub for a cheeky pint at 5.30, you walk in, your the only people there. Next thing you know it’s 3 in the morning and the guards (police) are banging on the door...........What the feck happened :D

Last year we popped into a small pub, on a Monday night, and Christie Moore’s brother was playing - we left at 2am.
So, for me, flexibility is a must in Ireland.
Enjoy

IÂ’ve been going over to Ireland, on a motorcycle, since the mid 80s, usually to visit the relatives but I do incorporate a bit of touring.
IME, and IÂ’ve been in all 4 seasons, June has been the driest month closely followed by September. Note that even if thereÂ’s a heatwave, it will still rain in the far west: Kerry, Connemara, Donegal. But, as you say, attitude and the right clothes are the answer to weather and, in 35 years, IÂ’ve never come across a pub with a leaky roof :beer:

On that note - The only accommodation IÂ’ve ever booked is a B&B close to the port the night before an early sailing back, even in mid-August in tourist hot spots :eek:.
Why? Well Ireland is not like any other country IÂ’ve visited (Russia maybe but IÂ’ve not been there yet). You can be riding through the countryside, in the middle of nowhere and stop at an isolated pub for a cheeky pint at 5.30, you walk in, your the only people there. Next thing you know itÂ’s 3 in the morning and the guards (police) are banging on the door...........What the feck happened :D

Last year we popped into a small pub, on a Monday night, and Christie MooreÂ’s brother was playing - we left at 2am.
So, for me, flexibility is a must in Ireland.
Enjoy

Spot on that one, easy top land up in a pub and not want to leave. And fairly easy to find accommodation by staying in small villages.

Same here following this thread with interest and it certainly ticks a few boxes.
Seems like Wapping timed this one perfectly .
I am sure that that once lockdown is over there will still be strict travel restrictions on the British regards European holidays for the foreseeable etc. (Although Spanish resorts/ hoteliers are reported begging their government to allow British back asap.)
However could I be correct in presuming a trip over to Ireland might be a little less difficult to achieve ? could be wrong.
So if Spain / Portugal trip off this year it looks an ideal last min change of plan

Re Achill, if it is a bit blowy on the Keel/Keem side head over to Dugort and it can be much calmer. We have been up there on our August Bank Holiday (first Monday August) last couple of years with grandchildren, getting them into the surfing. I have a friend from there....... thinking now about a big pot of wild mussels and cold beer.. bliss. Look for the Limerick reg camper near the crepe stalls:beer::aidan

It needs checking (which wouldn't take long) but I have created a Garmin route version of the full Wild Atlantic Way, based on the excellent Xploreit map, as recommended by Toddmeister in post #14. I think it is well worth getting if you have never been and maybe even if you have. Marry it to a good local map or two and you'll be fine.

Into it I put the 15 'recommended sites and sights' as per the map, as it seemed only polite to do so. Are they the best things to see? I have no idea at all. Are they the worst? I have no idea either but I guess they are not that bad. If anyone knows more 'Must do' points, be sure to include them here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e7b07hf4ph8scqk/wild atlantic way.gpx?dl=0

Many recommendations seem to be to do the route south to north, so that is what I did. If this is not the best, sing up.

From all of the posts and all that I have read, it looks like an excellent jaunt. The few times I have been to Dublin, courtesy of business, the rugby or with ChasMill and in-laws, I have always had a good time. The rest of it is a mystery, which I'll have to find out for myself.

For navigation, the best tip I got off a local at a bar in Waterford on our first night over there was:

"If you're heading North keep the sea on your left, if you're heading South keep it on your right!"

Simples :aidan :beerjug:

We can accept that the weather will be what the weather will be.

My father reckoned that there was no point at all in riding a motorbike in Ireland and complaining about the weather.

As you rightly say Richard, it will be what it will be.

Hello so for those of not hot on Geography where is the location of the pic showing the castle, manor house falling in to the sea in this thread pls?

Well Wapper's thanks a lot, that took a good bit of effort! Míle Buíochas!

Attachments

• WAW01.JPG
    WAW01.JPG
    235 KB · Views: 369
Hello so for those of not hot on Geography where is the location of the pic showing the castle, manor house falling in to the sea in this thread pls?

If you mean the one in Post 15,
Head up the Antrim coast from Larne, and before you get to the Giant's Causeway, you will pass it.
Dunluce Castle. Between Portrush and Portballantrae

This looks really interesting, we did the NC 500 two years ago, spending three weeks in mid September and was looking to go back, this could well be an alternative. To take the motorhome across would cost about £450 return, which isn’t to bad.
Thanks for the thread and info so far.

Thank you to EVERYONE of you on this thread .... I have looked at "doing ireland" for the last couple of years and this has really set me up for it ... looks great and with Tossers recommending so much of the accomadation and places to visit I dont think it could go wrong !!! ... time to get the diary out and start booking some leave. :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom