Ireland - The Wild Atlantic Way

While replying to a WAW thread in the Ireland section I realised I hadn't posted a link to this site which has GPX downloads with lots of useful POIs plus details of optional 'diversions' to places like Father Ted's house
Apologies for my tardiness :augie

And while we're on the subject, this was the WAW outside the Leenane Hotel at the weekend...

Stunning! Sadly I'll miss this years event but as it turns out will be there the following week :blast

Looking good and somewhere I ‘must do’ before I turn up my toes.

Thanks for the link to the website.

Before the bridge collapsed

Jockser: In Killary bay, this ambiguous sign was on the edge of it!

Attachments

• Grammar3.jpg
    Grammar3.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 248
I was up around Fanad Head last week. Beautiful day for a 336 mile round trip and quiet roads mostly. The Antrim coast road trip home was another story !!

Dunfanaghy and the sea mist of Portrush for me and Smartbazza last Sunday.

034201305ed07d5fc2cd3441ff15cbd5.jpg

8a7e8b40311fdaf97fb1bc4b255cff3c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the very scenic Portrush Harbour and the restaurants are just behind that wall. was quite an odd mix - ice cream in sunny Dunfanaghy then Portrush was like a horror movie

Barry

the very scenic Portrush Harbour and the restaurants are just behind that wall. was quite an odd mix - ice cream in sunny Dunfanaghy then Portrush was like a horror movie

Barry

Yep…Portstewart & Portrush were bunged presumably due to the last week of the school holiday and the brilliant weather. I had intended to get a nice ice cream in Morelli’s but it was full and a long queue waiting to get in knocked that in the head. The beaches all along the Antrim coast down towards Larne were very busy and hence the road was not the most pleasant to be on. But I guess it was to be expected, but Donegal was deserted compared to the North Antrim Coast.

Not long back from a few days on the WAW & can recommend this campsite just outside Bantry - Eagle Point Camping

https://www.eaglepointcamping.com/

A big site - so you can find yourself a nice quiet spot to pitch your tent. A short walk from the site is the Ouvane Falls Inn with good food etc

WAW ROUTE ADVICE

I'm planning a week in the South of Ireland for 2023, Ive already spent time in the north and Donnegal, I,m looking for any pointers on the routes ive picked so far please, I got some accomodation recomendations on this thread, otherwise I just picked at randomn for moment in Ballina & Clifden so likewise if theres any accomodation in those areas that would be useful, have kept to 200mile days approx 4hrs riding time.
DAY 2 GLENGARRIF.jpgDAY 3 WATERVILLE.jpgDAY 4 WATERVILLE.jpgDAY 5 KILRUSH.jpgDAY 6 CLIFDEN.jpg

Having done some of this earlier in the year - I wouldn't bother with the bottom 1/3 of the route, the scenery is average, route routine (and it rained the whole time I did that bit). middle of Ireland north gets more interesting.

New member here but not a biker.
But visited Dublin a few weeks back mainly for the Guinness and eating!.

Loved it will go again,mates say try Belfast too as just a great place.
81162810d9c2c932e9e9a2b232733b4a.jpg
b2b9d2d1f0f44316c5afda81f5874524.jpg

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

WAW ROUTE ADVICE

I'm planning a week in the South of Ireland for 2023, Ive already spent time in the north and Donnegal, I,m looking for any pointers on the routes ive picked so far please, I got some accomodation recomendations on this thread, otherwise I just picked at randomn for moment in Ballina & Clifden so likewise if theres any accomodation in those areas that would be useful, have kept to 200mile days approx 4hrs riding time.
View attachment 258459View attachment 258470View attachment 258478View attachment 258488View attachment 258499

i uploaded up the trip i did when i rode the coast of Ireland last year - including the GPX routes from MRA. I posted on your original post in January with the links.

This thread was very useful when I was planning my trip to the south west of Ireland in June. I was solo on a KTM 790 Adventure. My biking friends were off to France but I was saving my 90 in 180 days for right now, so I needed to be somewhere not in the Schengen zone.

I decided to concentrate on a relatively small area of the Wild Atlantic Way in the south west of the country. Ireland is not cheap for accommodation and I chose to stop overnight in hostels. My trip was close to midsummer, so long daylight hours and great weather.

Day 1: I woke in London at 4:30am, started out at 6am, and took the 1pm ferry from Fishguard to Rosslare, arriving 4:30pm. I slept in a day cabin during crossing and overnighted in Sheila's Hostel in Cork (fine hostel).

Day 2: The next day I rode the Ring of Beara (green route), then overnighted in the Railway Hostel Killarney. The Railway was a major disappointment, so I can't recommend that one.

Tim Ireland.png

Day 3: Rode the Ring of Kerry (blue route).

Day 4: Rode the Dingle Peninsula (red route and my favourite of the three) and overnighted in the Grapevine Hostel in Dingle (lovely hostel).

Day 5: Rode to Dublin, overnighting in Jacobs Inn Hostel (real upmarket at just €30). Hostels have changed an awful lot since I first did Youth Hostelling nearly 60 years ago! This is the reception area in Jacobs Inn in Dublin. And a photo of the 'pod' sleeping system where you have privacy curtains and electric sockets in each pod.

Jacobs reception.jpegJacobs pod.jpeg

Day 6: day in Dublin

Day 7: Ferry to Holyhead, rode home.

Ireland was lovely, and the Dingle peninsula is every bit as impressive as Scotland's west coast. Locals were consistently welcoming, creating a very positive and happy atmosphere. I have every intention to return next year to tackle more of the Wild Atlantic Way.

The Irish Road Trip Guide is a useful planning site, https://www.theirishroadtrip.com/
I booked hostels through HostelWorld, https://www.hostelworld.com/st/hostels/europe/ireland

I have a GPX file with more than 40 waypoints but it's too large to upload here, you can access it via my thread on Horizons Unlimited at https://www.horizonsunlimited.com/h...-fit-anywhere/where-to-go-stay-ireland-104730

Happy to answer any questions with my limited knowledge.
Tim

Back
Top Bottom