XT is it any good?

(RIP) Spangle

Reaction score
After initial difficulties, mainly loading routes via Bluetooth (pilot error & lack of understanding of the roles of the numerous Garmin apps!), I soon reached the stage where I consider the XT far superior to my 660. I can’t think of a single benefit of the 660 except maybe the more robust mounting base.

That’s not to say there’s anything wrong with the 660, mine served me well for almost a decade and did everything I wanted from it.

Also, my XT was £40 cheaper than the 660..!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats good to hear, lots of things being said about the xt, both good and bad, and as you say lots of misunderstanding of how people expect it should work, and how it actually does work.

I’ve only had a short ride on the bike since fitting the XT, and initial impressions are that it is very good. The screen is really bright, with very crisp detail; far better than any nav I’ve had before.

Hi! Planning to buy an XT too...any idea how to fit on my gs?is there any pic around of a xt fitted on a gs? Thanks!

The 660, how can I put it mildly... is a piece of crap.
Update to anything and you'll be better off.
396 had a better cradle than the XT I have to say.

I've only used the bike twice in recent days within London, with the XT mounted.

Quick impressions:

– finally a readable screen. Reflections are not bad at all. Mind I do keep the sat nav flat on the bars.
– it is fairly fast. 660 wouldn't be able to follow me within London. 396 was way better. XT even faster.
– I like the quick way you can alter the map view and layers from the side menu.
– Speed again. If you have to zoom in/out or pan the map, it doesn't take ages.

Some OSM maps with DEM, compared to the GarminTopo:

dem02.jpg

dem03.jpg

topo01.jpg

topo02.jpg

xt_gs.jpg

Dislikes so far:

– the mount could be better
– the rubber cover for the contacts could definitely be better
– few bugs here and there, but that's what software update is
– I want to pair my phone just to provide data. I don't care about sound or calls, but cannot seem to prevent that
– I wish there was a faster way to switch the maps instead of having to go to the settings every time

Lazy old git here coming to the end of his tether with the BMW RT map "navigation" and have trawled a few threads looking for info - am I right in thinking that the XT uses different maps to other Garmins - eg the Nav VI, and that it doesn't have a replaceable battery?

Lazy old git here coming to the end of his tether with the BMW RT map "navigation" and have trawled a few threads looking for info - am I right in thinking that the XT uses different maps to other Garmins - eg the Nav VI, and that it doesn't have a replaceable battery?

It’ll use the same maps. You can of course load different maps, according to your needs.

It has a battery; why do you want to replace it?

I thought I read somewhere about no longer being able to download the maps to a computer for use with Basecamp. which made me wonder about the maps.

I wouldn't particularly want to change the battery - but given the short life of a fully charged battery in the Nav VI even when the thing was supposedly fully "off" I was just pondering.

I have a car Nuvi which doesn't have a replaceable battery but that stays charged for ages - so I guess Garmin can do it if the fancy takes them.

Not that I have the XT, I am still on the 660, just the added cost of 3 x bike mounts and the PIA of making up a car mount as they don't currently do one, and according to the nice lady I spoke to are not going to bother as it a motorcycle GPS you are supposed to buy a dedicated one for the car!!!!!!!
However in the years I have had the 660, I have never found it necessary to replace the battery,

Not that I have the XT, I am still on the 660, just the added cost of 3 x bike mounts and the PIA of making up a car mount as they don't currently do one, and according to the nice lady I spoke to are not going to bother as it a motorcycle GPS you are supposed to buy a dedicated one for the car!!!!!!!
However in the years I have had the 660, I have never found it necessary to replace the battery,

The XT in Europe is supplied with a car mount - mine was!

The XT in Europe is supplied with a car mount - mine was!

Interesting garmin say they dont make one and I have been unable to find one, is this a car mount ie put in mount and is charged from the mount through the unit, or it is just a windscreen holder and you have to plug a separate usb cable into the back of the XT if you want to charge it in the vehicle?

Ive recently changed from 660 to XT and it's worlds apart, much faster, screen is fantastic. I've heard of a few having issues in the rain with the droplets activating the screen but I've ridden in some long downpours and had no issues.

Mine came with a car mount but its not powered like the 660 one was but it would be easy enough to plug the USB cable in to power it. The battery isn't replaceable but I never replaced the battery on the 660 and it was years old, its always either bike powered or plugged in when updating.

I wasn't keen on the mount but I've added a Touratech locking mount, its definitely not falling off now. My 660 was in a locking mount and I keep forgetting about the XT and walking away from the bike without removing it.

There are some really good deals on the XT out there at the minute too.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom