KTM 500 EXC-F dual sport Mod thoughts

CCM using the BMW 450 engine (.9 L Oil capacity) have a several thousand miles between oil changes - The modification they make is to limit revs.

The 500EXC has so much grunt through self discipline you can do the same that plus which a new clutch cover it will hold 1.4 L oil so it’s not or unsafe to extended the range and that range can be based on what’s available - Need to do some big miles before you can get some good oil then just peg it back on how you ride it.

I changed oil half way around on Mark/Tim’s Morocco trip - I needn’t have bothered it came out very clean but thinking back that’s not surprising as most of the riding is on the pegs bumbling along at 40 - 50 MPH

That’s the other great thing about the 500EXC, fuel economy - Getting 70 mpg plus is not hard

In fact when I was looking for a KTM it was Martin at Torque Racing who recommended the 500 and that was one of the reasons - When he services bikes on Rally’s one of the jobs is filling up - He said it’s very noticeable how little fuel a 500 uses compared to a 450 and others.

Yes the can be brutal but they can also bimble

I have a 13 500exc which is brutal but also thirsty on fuel. I've run out twice.

It's great fun and I've seen 100mph on the speedo which is interesting on the off-road tyres

I have had one, they are all 510cc

I would have another - great fun to ride

A pussycat in wolfs clothing

I have a 13 500exc which is brutal but also thirsty on fuel. I've run out twice.

It's great fun and I've seen 100mph on the speedo which is interesting on the off-road tyres

You must be a ridding God or David Knight to trash a 500EXC to low fuel consumption! Although running out twice is not necessarily a measure of how thirsty a bike is, maybe more a measure of rider planning and preparation :D

Mines also a 13 reg and as I’ve said it’s a 70 mpg bike and on occasion over 80 mpg - Rissani to Zegora c155 miles on 9.5L!

I’ve a 15.5 L tank on mine that’s a 250 mile range at a push and a safe 200 mile range when planning when you might need fuel - That’s on a trip not on technical trails

...oh and I’ve had a GPS 100 mph on mine

Shouldn’t this discussion be moved to the KTM section where there may be a few more answers from people who’ve done conversions or are looking at doing one?

Great info gents... thanks for all your comments.

Definitely saving up for one now along with the mods.

Moving this thread as suggested...

This thread started as a wish list for an KTM 500 EXC-F but has evolved into a general discussion about converting one into a dual sport travel bike
Pro's, Con's, thoughts in general from those who are considering doing it to those who have all welcome. Cheers..

Smallfoot has just got his 500 back from Nomad and he’s thrown the catalogue at it. It looks gorgeous and I’m very jealous.

[mention]SmallFoot [/mention] share a photo or two !

I saw AndyB’s 501 on Adventure Rider and commented on his Nomad Adv fairing. I have also looked at the Moto Minded one and Rade Garage as the Nomad one looks like it will need a bit of fettling to fit where the others don’t.

Trying to find a 500 is proving really hard. Following the 2019 model on eBay.

Liked the idea of the larger crankcase cover to hold more oil.

I've got a 2015 model with a Nomad kit on it and can highly recommend their work. I've also fitted a bigger clutch cover so the oil capacity is now approx 1.7 litres - one of the main reasons I went for the earlier model was the higher oil capacity, along with the kick start. I've done a couple of 3000 mile trips and changed the oil half way and it still came out nice and clean. I bought a HDB top clamp and handguard set up that incorporates an ignition switch. Haan rear cush drive gives the transmission an easier time and I've got a Globetrottin' rear rack so I can use throw over panniers. It makes a fantastic lightweight travel bike.

You must be a ridding God or David Knight to trash a 500EXC to low fuel consumption! Although running out twice is not necessarily a measure of how thirsty a bike is, maybe more a measure of rider planning and preparation :D

Mines also a 13 reg and as I’ve said it’s a 70 mpg bike and on occasion over 80 mpg - Rissani to Zegora c155 miles on 9.5L!

I’ve a 15.5 L tank on mine that’s a 250 mile range at a push and a safe 200 mile range when planning when you might need fuel - That’s on a trip not on technical trails

...oh and I’ve had a GPS 100 mph on mine

Sadly I'm no riding god but thought I had enough petrol to take me from the John Deere dealer where we had lunch on the New Year charity ride back to Andover but riding it quickly soon made what was left disappear. The petrol station I limped to had an electrical fault so wasn't selling petrol either!

I suspect mine's been fiddled with because it really is thirsty compared to other's I've taken on similar routes.

I've got a 2015 model with a Nomad kit on it and can highly recommend their work. I've also fitted a bigger clutch cover so the oil capacity is now approx 1.7 litres - one of the main reasons I went for the earlier model was the higher oil capacity, along with the kick start. I've done a couple of 3000 mile trips and changed the oil half way and it still came out nice and clean. I bought a HDB top clamp and handguard set up that incorporates an ignition switch. Haan rear cush drive gives the transmission an easier time and I've got a Globetrottin' rear rack so I can use throw over panniers. It makes a fantastic lightweight travel bike.

Hi Rich,

Any pictures of your bike, showing the Nomad kit.

The difference between having a rear wheel with a cush drive and fitting dual sport tyres as opposed to full on knobblies was like night and day plus I’ve now got a pair of wheels with proper off road tyres already mounted and a set for what I’d describe as broader based travel.

Rich, did you go for a bigger front disc? I changed mine and there was a noticeable difference in stopping power when acting the idiot on single track roads. The trouble with actually going over to the NL to visit the Nomad boys is that it’s easy to just stand there and say sod it, fit this and for that meaning you end up going a bit mad. I’ve got someone who’s going to make me some Perspex covers to fit directly onto the LED lights because they’d cost an arm and a leg to replace plus trying to get them somewhere in Eastern Europe would be near enough impossible.

Hi Guys

I have been down this route having a 1200GS then a KTM 950 and then building up a 690 rally raid, I have no ended up with a 525 MXC Desert which I have adventurised or rallied which ever you want to call it, I went for the 525 as the engine is bulletproof and parts are easily available but the main reason is no fuel injection or electronics.

I agree I have probably gone a lot further than most with making up my own loom and uprating the generator as well as an HT oil cooler which holds extra oil and I can say after completing the Gibraltar Race on it the other year and it coming third in class and 17th overall it is an amazing bike which was trouble free for the whole route. Like someone mentioned on here, I dont know why I bothered dropping the oil after the first couple of days as it was immaculate and I can say if you fit a comfy seat it will get you anywhere you like just not at 100mph all the way.

I have been considering something else to adventurise but to be honest the bike is great and still excites me to ride it unlike some of the other bikes that I have owned in the past.

Some of the work that I have completed but not all:

Complete strip down and frame powder coated
New front & rear wheel bearings and SM Pro Rims (to include cush drive)
Highway Dirt Bikes front end to include Baja Sqn Lights
Skeen headlight dimmer
Titanium large rally footpegs
Easy access clutch side casing for 525 quad
Acerbis 25 litre rally fuel tank
Akrapovic full exhaust system
GPS ICO
coolant temp, voltage, temp etc
Additional rally rear light
New rally bash plate including tool box
Trail Tech generator coil including new regulator
All electrics rewired to enable use without engine running
2 x Anti Gravity 4 call Lithium Batteries installed
Steering damper fitted
New perspex front screen (R1200GS) fitted & new brackets made up
Seat Concepts Seat
HT Oil Cooler
Trail Tech Side Stand

Attachments

• KTM 525.jpg
    KTM 525.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 568
Nice bike Mark, must be great to be able to put your own stamp on things like making up the wiring loom and screen. I have an idea what I want to achieve, but know it is going to cost ��

I have an unmolested 04 450 RFS with only 4k on it. Had a few RFS one's and they are ultra reliable, Last 400exc i had done over 15k quite hard life and never missed a beat. When this 450 came up i just had to have it, been sat in my garage for last 2 years deciding what to do with it. It has the Large tank and seat also

My 525 build as an "Adventure bike" is on here.
If you are asking what modifications to do, these would be mine.

Seat, bars, pegs, grips. You are going to be in contact with these for a long time, make sure you are comfortable sitting, standing and all points in between.
Tank. Most fuel range you can manage. Mine will get 200 miles, haven't tried any more than that.
Luggage. Smaller bikes have less capacity for luggage. Make sure what you need to take fits on, and doesn't interfere with riding the thing.
After that, the discussion about what is and isn't essential gets a little blurred.
More oil capacity, or more oil changes?
Cush drive or gentle throttle?
Better lights, or don't ride in the dark?
Better electrics for gadgets, or a handful of AA's?
Etc,
Good luck.
Mark

The difference between having a rear wheel with a cush drive and fitting dual sport tyres as opposed to full on knobblies was like night and day plus I’ve now got a pair of wheels with proper off road tyres already mounted and a set for what I’d describe as broader based travel.

Rich, did you go for a bigger front disc? I changed mine and there was a noticeable difference in stopping power when acting the idiot on single track roads. The trouble with actually going over to the NL to visit the Nomad boys is that it’s easy to just stand there and say sod it, fit this and for that meaning you end up going a bit mad. I’ve got someone who’s going to make me some Perspex covers to fit directly onto the LED lights because they’d cost an arm and a leg to replace plus trying to get them somewhere in Eastern Europe would be near enough impossible.

Hi Andy

I've still got the standard brakes on it but I was only looking last week at putting a 320 mm disc on it with the caliper adaptor - which set up have you gone for? Totally agree about Nomad, it's like being a kid in a sweet shop! I do rate their kit though - I originally had a Highways Dirt bike Rally Lite kit on mine but the Nomad kit makes road miles far easier. If your contact doesn't mind making a few extra covers then me and a mate with the kit would definitely be interested.

Cheers

Rich

I went for the 320mm disc and caliper mount as supplied by Nomad on the grounds that I’m likely to add getting on towards 25% of the original weight of the bike when you factor in the additional rally kit plus travel gear so it probably needed it.

I sent an email earlier to the guy who supplies the covers asking if they’d stand the heat from 3k lumen LEDs, whether convex covers would help and whether they’d distort the beam so I’ll let you know when I get a reply. I’ve got the Baja Designs Squadron R lights which are claimed to be bomb proof but if I’m away from home on gravel roads I’d like to know that I’ve minimised the risk of smashing them as much as I can. They’re the round lights that are about 88mm diameter which is a bugger because the Chinese spots on my GS look as if they’ve got the same basic design of 4 LEDs per light but those ones are squared off a bit so would look odd with round covers.

Back
Top Bottom