KTM 500 EXC-F dual sport Mod thoughts

My 525 build as an "Adventure bike" is on here.
If you are asking what modifications to do, these would be mine.

Seat, bars, pegs, grips. You are going to be in contact with these for a long time, make sure you are comfortable sitting, standing and all points in between.
Tank. Most fuel range you can manage. Mine will get 200 miles, haven't tried any more than that.
Luggage. Smaller bikes have less capacity for luggage. Make sure what you need to take fits on, and doesn't interfere with riding the thing.
After that, the discussion about what is and isn't essential gets a little blurred.
More oil capacity, or more oil changes?
Cush drive or gentle throttle?
Better lights, or don't ride in the dark?
Better electrics for gadgets, or a handful of AA's?
Etc,
Good luck.
Mark

Just read it, great read.

I went for the 320mm disc and caliper mount as supplied by Nomad on the grounds that I’m likely to add getting on towards 25% of the original weight of the bike when you factor in the additional rally kit plus travel gear so it probably needed it.

I sent an email earlier to the guy who supplies the covers asking if they’d stand the heat from 3k lumen LEDs, whether convex covers would help and whether they’d distort the beam so I’ll let you know when I get a reply. I’ve got the Baja Designs Squadron R lights which are claimed to be bomb proof but if I’m away from home on gravel roads I’d like to know that I’ve minimised the risk of smashing them as much as I can. They’re the round lights that are about 88mm diameter which is a bugger because the Chinese spots on my GS look as if they’ve got the same basic design of 4 LEDs per light but those ones are squared off a bit so would look odd with round covers.

Thanks Andy. I've also got the Baja lights on mine, one is a flat beam the other more of a spotlight - they're bloody bright and you can get replacement lenses. If you do get anywhere with the covers please let me know. I'll have a look at the brake kit - we carry enough gear for a 2 to 3 week trip including camping gear etc so a bit of extra braking would be nice!

And a couple more. They are basically the same model bike - a 2015 450 & 500
KTM 3.jpgKTM 4.jpg

And this was how it looked with the HDB Rally lite - was a bit better on the trails but didn't offer much protection on the road - if it was chucking it down it was miserable!
KTM 5.jpg

Great looking bike. Now where do I find a 500 for sale. What rack is fitted?

Great looking bike. Now where do I find a 500 for sale. What rack is fitted?

Thanks! The rack is from Globtrottin: http://www.globetrottin.com/Top-rack-with-pannier-brackets-KTM-250-525-2008-thru-2016_p_21.html
I've actually got a spare if anyone is interested. My mate with the 450 had a couple made in a slightly thicker tubing so I've got either the original or the one with slightly thicker tubing. Thr rack plates were from Nomad: https://www.nomad-adv.com/store/p291/Nomad_Pack_Plate.html
Good luck finding a 500 or a 525 - they're great bikes.

Thanks Andy. I've also got the Baja lights on mine, one is a flat beam the other more of a spotlight - they're bloody bright and you can get replacement lenses. If you do get anywhere with the covers please let me know. I'll have a look at the brake kit - we carry enough gear for a 2 to 3 week trip including camping gear etc so a bit of extra braking would be nice!

I’m waiting for a price back on them and once I get it I’ll pass it on.

These are the lights I’ve got so if yours are the same want a pair I’ll ask him to order the materials for 4 and get them sent here then I’ll forward a pair to you.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/squadron-r-sport-led-spot.asp

My plan is to spot through from the existing aluminum ring and fit longer screws to hold the whole lot together with a bit of silicon grease to seal things then no damp will get in there. If you want them I’ll drill them for you and sort out screws to hold it all together, I’ve got boxes of stainless socket screws so that’s not an issue :D

I know I shouldn’t say it here but if you get the blue, white and yellow version you get most of the improved parts fitted to the 6 days model at a price somewhere between a standard EXC and a 6 days one :hide

I’m waiting for a price back on them and once I get it I’ll pass it on.

These are the lights I’ve got so if yours are the same want a pair I’ll ask him to order the materials for 4 and get them sent here then I’ll forward a pair to you.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/squadron-r-sport-led-spot.asp

My plan is to spot through from the existing aluminum ring and fit longer screws to hold the whole lot together with a bit of silicon grease to seal things then no damp will get in there. If you want them I’ll drill them for you and sort out screws to hold it all together, I’ve got boxes of stainless socket screws so that’s not an issue :D

Hi Andy
They are the ones I've got as well. Thanks very much for offering to drill them etc - that would be great. If you can let me know if you have any success I'd really appreciate it.
Cheers
Rich

Hi Andy
They are the ones I've got as well. Thanks very much for offering to drill them etc - that would be great. If you can let me know if you have any success I'd really appreciate it.
Cheers
Rich

I’ll be contacting him tomorrow so I’ll tell him to get material for 2 sets. It cost me £35 for a pair to suit my GS and that included the sticky pads which were probably about £0.50 but these will be flat so less work and smaller so I’d guess we’re looking at a bit less. I had the GS ones in about 1 week so I can’t see these taking any longer and he’ll probably order the material Monday.

You can get different colours but I’ll be going for clear ones, let me know if you want anything tinted.

I’ll be contacting him tomorrow so I’ll tell him to get material for 2 sets. It cost me £35 for a pair to suit my GS and that included the sticky pads which were probably about £0.50 but these will be flat so less work and smaller so I’d guess we’re looking at a bit less. I had the GS ones in about 1 week so I can’t see these taking any longer and he’ll probably order the material Monday.

You can get different colours but I’ll be going for clear ones, let me know if you want anything tinted.

Hi Andy

Clear for me as well please. PM me your PayPal address and I'll send you the funds straight away

Cheers

Rich

I know I shouldn’t say it here but if you get the blue, white and yellow version you get most of the improved parts fitted to the 6 days model at a price somewhere between a standard EXC and a 6 days one :hide

I have an FE350 which came with the Map Switch, Traction Control, Launch Control - not sure how to compare suspension, certainly you cannot compare the rear end as it is a different system (linkage)

Hi Andy

Clear for me as well please. PM me your PayPal address and I'll send you the funds straight away

Cheers

Rich

Ordered. I’ll send you a pm with my details when I know how much he’s charging for them.

I would consider a FE501, but they are harder to find than a 500 EXC.

I looked around to see if I could find either a FE501 or an EXC500 up to 2 years old and the only ones I found dealers were taking the piss so I laughed in the face of adversity and bought a new one :D

The problem at the moment is that nobody is selling bikes privately and dealers only seem to have new ones so budget is the killer.

There is a brand new 500 exc for £7800 for sale at Kestral Motorcycles and a 2015 500 Six Days has just come up for sale on eBay, not a lot of info on it, seller wants for to call his mobile for full information.

So after building and racing this one across europe, Im thinking of building a new 500 with a nomad screen etc, but the question I have is how do I price this one to sell?

Attachments

• IMG_9559.jpg
    IMG_9559.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 455

Back
Top Bottom