KTM 500 EXC-F dual sport Mod thoughts

So after building and racing this one across europe, Im thinking of building a new 500 with a nomad screen etc, but the question I have is how do I price this one to sell?

I’d hang onto it for now in the hope that we get a last hurrah and a couple of months where you can use it then spend the winter selling it and sorting out a replacement. Get a load of new photos of it loaded up and being used over in Europe on the TET, do a new review of the build and it being used then stick a price on at the end when readers are thinking they want a piece of that.

Hi Andy
They are the ones I've got as well. Thanks very much for offering to drill them etc - that would be great. If you can let me know if you have any success I'd really appreciate it.
Cheers
Rich

This is what you’ll be getting. There’s only one fitted so you get a before and after idea.

94a6f851f7866dc8e75f3d767c968e78.jpg

I’ll get a pair in the post along with the screws on Monday.

This is what you’ll be getting. There’s only one fitted so you get a before and after idea.

94a6f851f7866dc8e75f3d767c968e78.jpg

I’ll get a pair in the post along with the screws on Monday.

Perfect Andy. Hopefully should save the expensive lights from a stray stone!

‎Colwyn Bay KTM‎ to UK KTM FORUM www.ktmforum.co.uk
3 hrs ·
Anyone interested in a project to tweek during the lockdown
2003 KTM 525 EXC trade in
Take it as it is, no warranty £1950
Image may contain: motorcycle
Image may contain: motorcycle
Image may contain: car
No photo description available.

on their facebook site

Unfortunately I’m not the person to tweek, can do some things, but not all, which is a pity.

I’m still waiting to find the right bike, not many about at the moment, understandably.

This is the Nomad conversion - 2015 EXC (very low milage - bought here in Sept).

I meant to fit the bits over the Xmas break but not much would fit off-the-shelf - ended up delivering it to Nomad in Holland - they had to machine a few bits to make them fit.

There would be no issue with the 2017+ models. - I can't recommend Nomad highly enough - first class workmanship and very fair pricing.

I have'nt put it through it's paces due to the lockdown and difficulty finding an MOT station before I can tax it.

It's unashamedly spec'd for Tim's Iceland extravaganza's but also intended for TRF bog-diving and green-laning as well as a travel bike.

I've used a CCM 450GP for last couple of years and reckon the EXC will be even better.

Attachments

• exc500.jpg
    exc500.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 391
  • exc5002.jpg
    exc5002.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 342
  • exc5003.jpg
    exc5003.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 327
Hey Liam, bike looks fab and Boris has said we can go for a ride out after tomorrow :thumb2

Should be able to do a route from the Drift Road out to Binfield and beyond so you can put the beast thru its paces!

Will drop you a text fella

I've got a 2015 model with a Nomad kit on it and can highly recommend their work. I've also fitted a bigger clutch cover so the oil capacity is now approx 1.7 litres - one of the main reasons I went for the earlier model was the higher oil capacity, along with the kick start. I've done a couple of 3000 mile trips and changed the oil half way and it still came out nice and clean. I bought a HDB top clamp and handguard set up that incorporates an ignition switch. Haan rear cush drive gives the transmission an easier time and I've got a Globetrottin' rear rack so I can use throw over panniers. It makes a fantastic lightweight travel bike.

Just out of curiosity, you wouldn’t be the same Rich Parker who travelled all over on a XR650R many years ago?

I’ve been watching for one too. There’s a very low milage one on eBay in Sheffield currently at £5k

I spent 6 months searching for a good condition, low mileage 2015 or 2016 500exc and missed out on a couple I wished I’d bought. When I first started looking I saw 2 which fitted the bill but I thought were too expensive and tried to haggle but they sold quickly for the asking price. I carried on looking and the right ones sold very quickly for good money.

After 6 months I negotiated a good deal on a new 500 as my patience ran out. Sod’s law a month later another good 16 model came up.

So my experience is demand is high and be prepared to pay strong money for a decent 15 or 16 model 500. A few people on this thread have mentioned they want one.

BTW, Andy B, your Husky looks great as does the other Nomad conversions in this thread. I love my 500, great bike and curious to see how it compares to my 690 in the long run.

That bike on eBay was pulled, I asked a few questions of the seller, but he never replied to any of them.

Yes, I too should have bought a few 500’s I have seen for sale, but hesitated and they sold, I am still looking.

Liam, your 500 is what I want to achieve and hopefully I too can ask Tim if I can join him on his Iceland trips.

Hey Liam, bike looks fab and Boris has said we can go for a ride out after tomorrow :thumb2

Should be able to do a route from the Drift Road out to Binfield and beyond so you can put the beast thru its paces!

Will drop you a text fella

Do that Toddy, I'll try find an MOT station in the meantime - it would be just wrong to 'take a chance' - wouldn't it?

L

That bike on eBay was pulled, I asked a few questions of the seller, but he never replied to any of them.

Yes, I too should have bought a few 500’s I have seen for sale, but hesitated and they sold, I am still looking.

Liam, your 500 is what I want to achieve and hopefully I too can ask Tim if I can join him on his Iceland trips.

I also watched the same scam 500 come up for sale a few times on ebay. I know as it was a copy of a previous bike for sale but it was email communication only. I got in touch but it was definitely dodgy

Just out of curiosity, you wouldn’t be the same Rich Parker who travelled all over on a XR650R many years ago?

Not me I'm afraid. I had a 2012 KTM 690 with the Rally Raid kit on it before the 500.

Not me I'm afraid. I had a 2012 KTM 690 with the Rally Raid kit on it before the 500.

OK cheers, how do you think the 2 bikes compare? I have my own feelings having had 2 690's and having done 5,000 miles on the first and 35,000 miles on the second half way round the world, it's early days with the 500 not having done enough on it to really give a reasoned judgement on it.

OK cheers, how do you think the 2 bikes compare? I have my own feelings having had 2 690's and having done 5,000 miles on the first and 35,000 miles on the second half way round the world, it's early days with the 500 not having done enough on it to really give a reasoned judgement on it.

I really liked the 690. It was great on the road, felt really planted and would happily sit at 80+mph. The flip side to this was it could be a bit of a handful when you got it off road - I found it very easy to spin it up therefore losing traction. The steering lock was poor and when loaded was still quite heavy. I dropped it on a steep track and it was laid down past horizontal and there was no way I was picking it up on my own without taking the luggage off. The 500 is far easier to manoeuvre, the suspension, I feel, is in a different league and it grips and drives better than the 690 - I find it fantastic once you get off the tarmac which I tend to do nowadays. The payback is when you do have to munch some miles on the road it doesn't feel anywhere near as solid as the 690 north of 70mph. I personally feel that the 500 is a true off road bike whereas the 690 is a compromise.

Finally managed to get out for a short (ish) 100 mile bimble with the big Oirish Lunatic (Smallfoot of this Parish) on his rather lovely Nomad EXC500.

It is beautifully put together and looks the dogs dangly bits in the flesh. It has, however, been christened "the widowmaker" due to its propensity to chuck you in the hedge if you're a bit cack handed with the throttle! :eek::D

Here it is alongside it's smaller half-cousin

Attachments

• Husky and KTM.jpg
    Husky and KTM.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 296
Finally managed to get out for a short (ish) 100 mile bimble with the big Oirish Lunatic (Smallfoot of this Parish) on his rather lovely Nomad EXC500.

It is beautifully put together and looks the dogs dangly bits in the flesh. It has, however, been christened "the widowmaker" due to its propensity to chuck you in the hedge if you're a bit cack handed with the throttle! :eek::D

Here it is alongside it's smaller half-cousin

I found the 500's to ride better than the smaller EXC's

I found the 500's to ride better than the smaller EXC's

Me too, I love the torque, the map switch and traction control work a treat when it’s slippery. Plus the 500 is miles better on road sections than the 350

Back
Top Bottom