R1200GS/A Hidden Filter bypass

Moonmanzn

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Evening, found out my hidden filter in my fuel filter housing had collapsed so I bypassed it.

You will need the following

Mahle Filter KL145 from an R1150
7mm Drill bit
8mm Drill bit
Drill
3 x 10 - 16mm jubilee clamps
8mm ID Fuel hose x 30cm ish
9c8d77f3f2decdb76ebf9dc5632d27d1.jpg

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Remove your pump from the tank
Remove the fuel pump housing assembly and all connectors
75bd6dd7b3f8525ad0ccf18e3bb57a59.jpg

Take out the top Quick disconnect fitment with a 19 spanner

You will now need a 8mm drill bit.

Measure the drill bit so that 63mm is protruding to use as a stop once desired depth is reached.

Slowly and carefully drill through the hole left by the quick disconnect, use a slow speed and gentle pressure.

You will feel the drill bit catch the plastic of the inner filter. Slowly drill, stopping and checking every turn or two. After a few revolutions you will feel the drill slide through the inner filter housing.

!!!Be very careful as too much pressure will mean you drill through the outer white shroud and your fuel assembly will be ruined!!!

Once through the inner plastic cover, you should be able to see light passing through the outer white surround.
e3c56a40c95e557042abdc575f482cbb.jpg

The first hole will be enough for full flow and bypassing the filter.

If you want to be 100% sure you have max flow you can use a 6mm drill bit in the bottom of the housing fuel in spigot.

Drilling slowly and at the correct angle, within 30mm you will make contact with the bottom of the hidden filter housing.

Carefully drill through, reverse the drill and pull the bit out.
291ae884f758f5ad3b6449549f5054d9.jpg

Once both holes/hole are drilled

Use fresh fuel in a syringe to flush the housing of plastic shrapnel.

I rigged the pump to a 12v battery and placed the pump in fresh fuel and used the pumps forces to clean the housing out.

Be careful with sparks and fuel
f1198e00064e49b353efe641b0dcc80b.jpg

Once complete with the flush.

Wrap the quick disconnect threads in plumbers teflon tape and reinsert into top of housing, 19mm to tighten it up snug.

Insert the fuel pump assembly into tank, ensure you soak the gasket in fuel and place it onto the tank hole and not around the assembly.

Tighten down with the locking ring.
bae7883b5b662414bdd5f2c9a776b4c6.jpg

Disconnect the male quick connect from the hose as pictured.

Insert the output end of the new filter into the hose that leads to the injectors and tighten up with a jubilee.

Then connect a short 10/15/20cm bit of fuel hose to the IN side of the filter and tighten up with a jubilee.

Attach the male quick connect and arrange the filter as you see fit.

I then disconnected the fuel lines from the injectors and turned over the motor allowing the lines to purge into a bucket before reinstalling and firing her up.

Cheers
311c2f809c2e41e239c02b5c67e0f748.jpg

RESULT... Well done

I think a lot of fellow members felt they were on this adventure with you and feel your relief. I have to commend your tenacity..... Imagine what the cost would have been had a dealer had to do all this work.

Regards P.J.

Superb description of how you fitted the filter! Thanks for taking the time to do this.

As per all the other comments. I too have been following your posts on this with interest and feel your satisfaction at sorting it. Well done

I'm definitely noting your story - and the solution. But I have a question. I'm unclear why you didn't just by a new OEM filter? I've now looked at the fiche and it looks like the entire pump/filter assembly is sold as one unit, for about £350 . Have I got that right?!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

As per all the other comments. I too have been following your posts on this with interest and feel your satisfaction at sorting it. Well done

I'm definitely noting your story - and the solution. But I have a question. I'm unclear why you didn't just by a new OEM filter? I've now looked at the fiche and it looks like the entire pump/filter assembly is sold as one unit, for about £350 . Have I got that right?!

I was coming up with 450£ for the assembly.

They should normally flush out but mine actually collapsed I think. Only found 2 others with that issue so super rare I would say.

But now I have a replaceable filter that's extra 12£ and 10min come service time.

BMW has license to print money on some "lifetime" things on bikes/cars

Excellent write up, with embedded pictures. Well done.

However, I would not use jubilee clips, I would use hose clips instead, they give a better uniform clamping force.

Ian :thumb2

Excellent write up, with embedded pictures. Well done.

However, I would not use jubilee clips, I would use hose clips instead, they give a better uniform clamping force.

Ian :thumb2
Yeah have some on order coming Saturday but no open shops had size I needed

I was coming up with 450£ for the assembly.

They should normally flush out but mine actually collapsed I think. Only found 2 others with that issue so super rare I would say.

But now I have a replaceable filter that's extra 12£ and 10min come service time.

BMW has license to print money on some "lifetime" things on bikes/cars
Blimey. My £350 was an approximation. Not bad just to change the filter

I'm glad it's a rare fault issue!

What symptoms were you having that made you suspect the collapsed filter ??

What symptoms were you having that made you suspect the collapsed filter ??

Just bike was fuel starved at higher rpm. Try above 80 and slowly creeped up like I was riding in massive headwind or bike was governed.

Just bike was fuel starved at higher rpm. Try above 80 and slowly creeped up like I was riding in massive headwind or bike was governed.

If it's the same filter / housing unit used in single cam, could the same problem manifest itself in those models ?

My 06 hex had exactly the same symptoms

If it's the same filter / housing unit used in single cam, could the same problem manifest itself in those models ?

My 06 hex had exactly the same symptoms

Yeah housing is the same from the first one onwards, they changed from fuel strip to float but the hidden filter never changed.

My drill bit came out of the housing packed with like old superglue or silicone.

Rode an hour today and she is running lovely

Thanks for the reply, my '08 Hexhead has had intermittent issues for years, only occasionally running silky smooth but mostly a bit rough and strangled. I never knew about this hidden pump housing filter but now I am doubting mine is intact so might get the drill out.

Awesome result and write up, your persistence is amazing :bow :thumby:

Just came across a pretty decent end to end vid on how to backflush the hidden filter 'as another option' (lots of useful tips around assembly and disassembly... etc etc). Makes you wonder how many GS's are rolling around without pulling with all their ponies at the top end :blast

Skip ahead to 29:30 to see the start of the hidden filter backflush process.

Back
Top Bottom