R1200GS/A Hidden Filter bypass

Time to report:

I spent a couple of hours this afternoon removing the fuel tank, the fuel pump assembly, doing the mod and putting it all back together. Its easy enough but you need to exercise caution when drilling as the drill bit grabs and pulls itself in. Breaking through the bottom of the black housing with the drill into the bottom white chamber goes with a sudden pop/crack. I wont expand on the method as its already covered in the threads.

The test ride was a revelation. The bike now revs so crisply on and off throttle, midrange grunt for overtakes is effortless, coming back on throttle in 2nd mid-corner at slow speed doesn't jolt/lurch it just applies a smooth wave of torque. The bike now rides better than I can ever recall. I have spent years and also time/money trying to pin down the cause of what my bike was suffering from, it just felt "wrong" somehow but I couldn't sort it. It turns out it was either a weak fuel pump, a low flow rate, a part-blocked "hidden filter" inside the pump housing or a combination of all of them. As I had to remove the housing to drill it out I did the pump whilst apart anyway, its only about £50 with an external filter added.

To anybody who's Hex GS/GSA is a bit grumbly and coarse, feels asthmatic to ride or just feels a bit "wrong", other than the obvious stuff like new parts and a good service and balance, consider doing the fuel pump and hidden filter bypass mod I STRONGLY RECOMMEND IT !!!.

For Mistacat, I shall try to get out and do a set of GS911 Logs on Sunday if time allows, nothing else has changed on the bike since my last set except this pump/filter bypass so the results may reveal something. Having wrung its neck on the test ride the adaptations may well have altered things again after getting enough fuel supply with the mods done.

Lastly, a HUGE thank you to the OP, without sharing the knowledge on the forum I might never have solved this issue (having tried everything I could already.)

Looks like I spoke too soon, I went to start the GSA for work this morning and despite wearing earplugs I'm sure I heard a pop when making the ignition. The bike would crank over but not fire, I suspect either FPC controller failure or else the internal fuel hose I fitted has popped off inside the tank.

The Quantum fuel pump kit only had one small jubilee clip in it which went on the pump end, the output end was a tight push fit. In hindsight I should have added another jubilee from my garage spares, lesson learnt.

Luckily I have the Tmax scoot so no dramas getting to work, I will have a look tonight after work and fix the hose or bypass the FPC to get it running.

Pukmeister, that’s a shame, but please keep us updated as that could happen to any of us.

Sussed it, easy fix in 40 minutes. As suspected, the internal pump outlet hose was crimped tightly onto the pump end with the constant pressure clip but I had simply pressed the other end onto the plastic spigot underneath the fuel tank outlet flange and it blew off so no fuel to the injectors. Hose now refitted with a small jubilee clip (about 12mm or so) to prevent a recurrence and the bike is running again. Battery is on the CTEK charger as I drained it through cranking.

Luckily I can rebuild a Hex GSA in my sleep now so it was a quick job to pull the fuel tank back enough to remove the pump rather than a full tank off job.

Good to know, not sure why they don’t supply 2 clips / clamps. Are you taking the bike tomorrow?

Yeah, commute 12 miles each way daily so it gives me a chance to test it properly. The biggest back pressure on the pump will be at startup to overcome inertia and get fuel up to pressure, hopefully the jubilee clip will do its job so no more hoses popping off I hope.

If you are considering doing the mod I reckon you won’t regret it, it’s is probably the best time/money I have put into the bike in 13 years of ownership..

Good afternoon, i just saw the thread and i have a couple of questions. How we bypass the filter , since the gas is still going through it.

Good afternoon, i just saw the thread and i have a couple of questions. How we bypass the filter , since the gas is still going through it.

See #3;. An 8mm hole is drilled through the filter element, the gas passes through the hole rather than the filter element material.

See #3;. An 8mm hole is drilled through the filter element, the gas passes through the hole rather than the filter element material.

I see, you are right. I found a broken one and opened it yesterday, the fuel due to clear road will pass in less time through the filter. I still try to find a way to bybass it COMPLETELY. What is the issue if i bybass the quick release and open a new hole next to it for a 8mm ? And connect directly to the pump?

Why are you trying to "reinvent the wheel" so to speak?

Just drill through the bottom of the housing with an 8mm drill as discussed in the thread, then fit an external high pressure fuel filter.

Its quick, easy to do, and it works.

Back
Top Bottom