Wearable sleeping bags- with arms and legs?

Sweaty Sock

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Selkbags https://www.selkbaguk.com/ were always a bit pricey but used to be made in UK. Has anyone any experience of using them or similar? I see a few Chinese? copies on fleabay, and recall the type was popular with army personnel for quick response under fire. The only fast response I need is for a wee in the middle of the night (good old prostate!).:rob
I just don't like being confined in my Ajungilak bag as like to sleep like a "skydiver"! :blast
Any recommendations for an alternative?

I've got a German army one that has separate arms and the zip can be undone from the very bottom, allowing you to walk about in it.
It's incredibly warm and snug, especially with the decent sized hood up, and the carry pouch contains a full sized waterproof cover for the sleeping bag with a person in it.
Oh, and it's also got a "pee slot". :D :thumb.

I've got a German army one that has separate arms and the zip can be undone from the very bottom, allowing you to walk about in it.
It's incredibly warm and snug, especially with the decent sized hood up, and the carry pouch contains a full sized waterproof cover for the sleeping bag with a person in it.
Oh, and it's also got a "pee slot". :D :thumb.

Thanks Steve, obviously I'll need a HUGE pee hole...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YZNokYXwGxo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cut straight to 1:24

Mmm. Do I get a banjo with it?

Not sure I need a waterproof outer- I have a couple of decent tents and doubt I'll use it in temperatures less than 5C.

Wapping snake btw! ;)

I’ve got a selk bag and to be honest I can’t really get on with it and have resorted to the good old fashioned cotton, heavy sleeping bag which is brilliant.
First, if like me you tend to have a few cheeky beers before climbing into said outfit, I tend to find that I leave it till the last possible minute to get up for a slash and then I can’t get the bloody hand zip open or get the lining caught in it and then your really in a pickle as your trussed up like a fool and you can’t get your hands out through being over zealous.
Second, I found that it seemed to be quite cold as when I’m all in a single normal sleeping bag your arms and legs are wrapped up in it with you. In the selk it felt like individual body parts didn’t keep so warm. To be fair I have since decided that socks and leggings are not a bad idea in whatever sleeping bad I’m in and also I’ve got a heminox bed and thermalite mattress so I’m now quite toastie.
Still think the best idea is to take a wide necked bottle to bed with you for draining your bladder but remember not to make a grab for it in the morning when you need something to clear your throat

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YZNokYXwGxo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cut straight to 1:24

Looks well toasty m8 ;)

got a selk bag had a german sleep system bag. Selk fits me now, the german was better in every way and does not fit me now, or didnt so sold it

I have a US military ECWCS 4 piece system, consisting of 2 bags, goretex bivvy and compression bag.
Quality bit of kit, but the bulk of it makes civvy street options a better bet.
Also, whoever dreamed up the temperature ratings should be court marshalled for attempted manslaughter.

I have a US military ECWCS 4 piece system, consisting of 2 bags, goretex bivvy and compression bag.
Quality bit of kit, but the bulk of it makes civvy street options a better bet.
Also, whoever dreamed up the temperature ratings should be court marshalled for attempted manslaughter.

you do realize that the ratings are for when you are Clothed, you not supposed to be undressed in one of those systems

you do realize that the ratings are for when you are Clothed, you not supposed to be undressed in one of those systems

That is what makes the ratings bullshit.
Wear loads of quality down and wool gear ... and the system is good for 45 below.

I took mine down to minus 12 wearing merino wool & threw a Patagonia DAS parka over the top - I wasn't a happy camper to say the least.

Back
Top Bottom