The Motorcyclist's Guide to Scotland book - J.G. Fergusson

What a nice fellow Mr Fergusson is. I dropped him a quick email via his small website, saying that I’d bought the book and was very pleased with it. 30 minutes later, a reply thanking me.

Top banana, indeed.

When I’ve finished all thirty, I’ll load all the routes into a single file. It’ll be interesting to see how they merge in with other Scottish routes I’ve got.

yep ,i got a nice personal message in mine too,when purchased. He lives in Moffat and is always up for a brew and a chat, if you are passing through that area

When I’ve finished all thirty, I’ll load all the routes into a single file. It’ll be interesting to see how they merge in with other Scottish routes I’ve got.

Here’s a start with the first five:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fnc5iqqxyrke2ut/00. them all.gpx?dl=0

7baa3517dd12420b91c1b03aa94cd4d2.jpg

Anyone could already have a pretty decent few days in the borders, with just a little bit of cut’n’paste.

Five down, 25 to go! If I do one a day, I'll be finished by when we might be back on the road.

05. Kintyre

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9knu2iqg0n...ntyre.gpx?dl=0

Creating the routes in BaseCamp is the relatively easy bit. Adding in the hotels (not all of them are listed, even in Open Street Map) and the sights and sights, takes a while. On a Mac the Waypoint carries all sorts of additional information, for example, telephone numbers. To this you can add comments and links to relevant websites. These I have been including, too. I guess (hope) they display the same on a conventional PC.

It's an interesting enough task and having only visited Scotland once (outside of rugby) for many years, I have learned some bits and pieces. One little thing I did notice is that the Skipness Seafood Cabin closes its doors in September and does not open again until the end of May. I was then thinking that, fingers crossed, the Covid-19 mess might not hit them too badly. Unlike the poor sods running regular hotels and boarding houses. Still, maybe a good opportunity to get busy with the decorating.

Putting all five routes into one file shows how easy it would be to cut’n’paste some around to make a pretty good holiday. Already I can see that, without too much effort, it would be possible to ‘Do the borders’ without too much difficulty.

Five down, 25 to go! If I do one a day, I'll be finished by when we might be back on the road.

05. Kintyre

Creating the routes in BaseCamp is the relatively easy bit. Adding in the hotels (not all of them are listed, even in Open Street Map) and the sights and sights, takes a while. On a Mac the Waypoint carries all sorts of additional information like, telephone numbers. To this you can add comments and links to relevant websites. These I have been including, too. I guess (hope) they display the same on a conventional PC.

It's an interesting enough task and having only visited Scotland once (outside of rugby) for many years, I have learned some bits and pieces. One little thing I did notice is that the Skipness Seafood Cabin closes its doors in September and does not open again until the end of May. I was then thinking that, fingers crossed, the Covid-19 mess might not hit them too badly. Unlike the poor sods running regular hotels and boarding houses. Still, maybe a good opportunity to get busy with the decorating.

Putting all five routes into one file shows how easy it would be to cut’n’paste some around to make a pretty good holiday. Already I can see that, without too much effort, it would be possible to ‘Do the borders’ without too much difficulty.

Top man, thanks very much.

I bumped into him in Moffat last year. He's working on a similar book for Ireland I believe, so you could be busy for a bit yet! :D

The author put a rather nice handwritten message in mine, does he do the same for all copies I wonder?

Good book, used it a lot last tour up there.

And mine, seems like a nice chap, that is why I didn't begrudge paying for the book, authors make their money by selling books.

05. Kintyre

Creating the routes in BaseCamp is the relatively easy bit. Adding in the hotels (not all of them are listed, even in Open Street Map) and the sights and sights, takes a while. On a Mac the Waypoint carries all sorts of additional information, for example, telephone numbers. To this you can add comments and links to relevant websites. These I have been including, too. I guess (hope) they display the same on a conventional PC.

You're going to have a good trip when you're let loose

Plan May early June or September if possible. Avoids school holidays and the worst of the midges and the bulk of the overseas visitors

One little thing I have seen whilst creating the routes around the border region, is where all the famous old Scottish rugby clubs are. Similarly, I have found Dollar Academy. where my uncle went to school (his mother was a house mistress) and my two cousins also went. Similarly, where Langholm / Lockerbie are, where a former friend of mine from school lived, where his father was a Presbyterian minister in Langholm. For some completely unknown reason, I can remember his address.

One little thing I have seen whilst creating the routes around the border region, is where all the famous old Scottish rugby clubs are. Similarly, I have found Dollar Academy. where my uncle went to school (his mother was a house mistress) and my two cousins also went. Similarly, where Langholm / Lockerbie are, where a former friend of mine from school lived, where his father was a Presbyterian minister in Langholm. For some completely unknown reason, I can remember his address.

A good reason for a wee trip to the area is to go to a wee local rugby 7's tournament. Melrose is the biggest but there are other local cheaper ones, generally a great atmosphere and sport

Dollar Academy - nice!

@Bisbee - received today, many thanks. A tenner added to NHS Charities just giving as Colonel Tom Moore's is now closed. :thumby:

If anyone would like a copy just pm me Free but pay the postage :okay

Walloper, these dropbox routes you're creating can't be viewed without downloading, can you not make them viewable without having to do so ?

Back
Top Bottom