The Motorcyclist's Guide to Scotland book - J.G. Fergusson

Is there a problem with the downloads? I might be able to fix it if there is one?

What do you mean by ‘viewable’?

I am creating them in Garmin’s BaseCamp as that is a pretty popular medium and exportable as a gpx file into other software, including TomTom. I have to put them onto the cloud in Dropbox as (even when zipped) the file sizes exceed the site’s limit.

I can ‘view’ them on an iPad or iPhone pretty easily but it does require a download. For example, here’s one viewed in Pocket Earth on my iPad:

0db278a18f003d213929a345939ebb45.png

And in Scenic, again via an iPad:

633b589aef3eeccbfd0b58c473346a2a.plist

I could share it from there but you might need the Scenic app to view it:

https://scenicapp.space/route/fkpXSYef

When I click on these links all it does is ask me to download, I can't actually see the route. i.e. I want to see something before I decide whether I want to download it or not.

When I click on these links all it does is ask me to download, I can't actually see the route. i.e. I want to see something before I decide whether I want to download it or not.

I see.

If you have BaseCamp or MapSource, the download should open straight up or indeed in any software that can open a gpx file. Like it? Keep it. Don’t like it? Bin it. That would be quicker than me opening each in Scenic, creating the track and sharing the website, as in the post above.

There may well be some very quick ‘visualisers’ beyond Scenic and Pocket Earth. They are just the two I use, as I have the apps installed on my iPad and iPhone.

I can also visualise a gpx download very quickly through the Kurviger webpage:

d334f991f326a9fd6a1a07d2b8171ee7.png

I guess the easiest for both of us would be for you to buy the book, supporting the local economy (or enriching the Amazon) finding a route you like and wait for me to create it. One a day and 22 to go. There again, I am told they miss the best bits, that it’s a cardinal sin to use any pre-made route suggestion (even if it is just a suggestion) and that it can all be done using a paper map, a sheet of paper and a pencil. Which is indeed true.

I’m downloading them one by one, and saving them in a file called Motorcyclists Guide to Scotland in Basecamp, I plan to try ride them all.

Thank you Mr Wapping you’re doing a great job, much appreciated.

Richard

Just wondering why I'm not seeing the hotels/POI etc in the properties list, but I can see them in the drawing, also when uploaded to Nav6 the POI aren't coming through.

Any ideas?

Richard

Attachments

• Capture 1.jpg
    Capture 1.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 303
  • Capture 2.PNG
    Capture 2.PNG
    103.3 KB · Views: 299
Same on Nav6 too. Perhaps I'm missing something?

Attachments

• Capture 3.PNG.jpg
    Capture 3.PNG.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 291
Got mine today

Just flicked through this. Looks fantastic, and quality tank bag proof paper and well bound. I am delighted and about to order another one for my son. Many thanks to John Ferguson.

Bought a copy a while ago - but it was hidden by HER to be wrapped for my not too distant birthday.

I’m looking forward to Lockdown lasting long enough to let me read it and see how many of the roads I’ve covered.

Just wondering why I'm not seeing the hotels/POI etc in the properties list, but I can see them in the drawing, also when uploaded to Nav6 the POI aren't coming through.

Any ideas?

Richard

I think I understand your question and problem. In your picture, the green line is a separate route. It is different to the magenta line, which is the route as set out in the book. The separate green route simply joins the attraction to a point on the magenta line. If you load the separate route into your device, it should all be OK.

I did it this way for several reasons:

1. Sometimes the suggested attractions are some way off the route. I am never sure that everyone will want to see them, as opposed to just riding around the route.

2. Not everyone will want to stay in the same hotels, so they can (and should be) imported separately.

3. It should be easy enough for anyone who wants to see one attraction but not another or include a particular hotel or cafe, to fire up BaseCamp or MapSource. Then drag the magenta line to include the attraction, hotel cafe or whatever. Alternatively, cut and paste the hotel, cafe or attraction into the route properties / information box and the software will do it for you. Doing this might alter the overall route a bit but nothing that cannot then be sorted out. If anyone is stuck, let me know, please.

Ah right, I understand now, all makes sense, Just me being a bit thick.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom