The Motorcyclist's Guide to Scotland book - J.G. Fergusson

Wapping

Reaction score
This was recommended in another thread, is I picked one up via the Amazon.

It is pretty good, with no less than 30 recommended routes around the country, as far out as Shetland. The cover page picture shows what must be the most photographed stretch of road in the UK.

ee21171cab283cb086e6d763a99ad267.jpg

8fe820d6163246fb169a8ce92866b74d.jpg

c0cb093794311f58e8bea468e2e073bf.jpg

Got one from the previous thread.

Looking forward to trying some of the routes.

If anyone would like a copy just pm me Free but pay the postage :okay

PM sent, thanks

What I might do is carve the routes out in BaseCamp, linking them to the sites and sights the author suggests. The whole lot, bar a few moans that “He’s missed the best bit” would make a great long holiday or two.

What I might do is carve the routes out in BaseCamp, linking them to the sites and sights the author suggests. The whole lot, bar a few moans that “He’s missed the best bit” would make a great long holiday or two.

Great idea. I know most of the roads up here but an insight on the ones further south would be of benefit.
Cheers

Yes Please....i love the book ,glad you found it handy.

The Motorcyclist's Guide to Scotland book - J.G. Ferguson

As it seems a popular idea, here is the first route, The Solway and Carrick Coasts, at 250 miles.

The route is basically a triangle: Dumfries > Stranraer > Ayr > Dumfries. I asked BaseCamp to give me that route, which it did in seconds. I then dragged (elastic band'ed) the magenta line to take the roads the book's route took. I then deleted Ayr as the route does not go into the city itself, whereupon the magenta line corrected itself perfectly. I had to force BaseCamp to take one of the smaller roads and / or switched the map into routable Open Street Map. I have added the two suggested excursions (the little green add on) and the hotels and eateries. Several of these I had to create manually. The route creation is quite quick, it's adding in the bits that take the time but once done, it's done.

d3e6e3659665ca4ea25a170bde592ff3.jpg

As with Ireland, I might well recommend that bods do load the UK OSM map into their Garmin device, though (subject to individuals' preference settings) the route should run OK without.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2507r0yfntlb9cr/The Solway and Carrick coasts.GPX?dl=0

Whilst creating the route and looking at the map, there are some little roads that I might take instead of the way the author goes. But, that is not the point of the book, which is to give bods some ideas (and pretty good routes) to try for themselves. There will always be "You have missed the best...." type observations but so what.

The author put a rather nice handwritten message in mine, does he do the same for all copies I wonder?

Good book, used it a lot last tour up there.

The author put a rather nice handwritten message in mine, does he do the same for all copies I wonder?

Good book, used it a lot last tour up there.

Mine, sourced via the Amazon, is devoid of any thoughts on behalf of Mr Fergusson.

Excellent news that you find the book useful.

Back
Top Bottom