Oi...Emtb'ers

The only place I’ve taken my bike that could be considered properly ‘hilly’ is the Eifel Region in Germany and at one point I had to push the bike up some man made steps that were about 12” high by 4’ apart and they zig zagged up for a couple of hundred feet. It took ages because with a normal bike I’d have picked it up and carried it but that’s not viable with an eBike.

I’ve also ridden up some rocky steps in the Peak District but nothing continuous and anything where you’d use your hands if you were out for a walk is best avoided.

Try that with an ebike, and let us know how you get on!

Had a very quick shot of a 160 cube today, I was surprised how much lighter it felt than the HT I had a shot of the other week.

Ball seems burst for me anyway, unless I buy online there is no chance of getting one local til 2021 models appear in early Autumn.

Had a very quick shot of a 160 cube today, I was surprised how much lighter it felt than the HT I had a shot of the other week.

Ball seems burst for me anyway, unless I buy online there is no chance of getting one local til 2021 models appear in early Autumn.

Get it online then. If I was buying again, I’d have no problem doing that, especially as there are companies here that will pick the bike up, service it and bring it back for under £50.

I bought local as I wanted to have the convenience of going back for servicing, and any other issues, but they’re not doing servicing until further notice, which may not be for weeks, as they’re just focussed on selling bikes.

My bike is now at over 500 miles, so will need a service soon. I’ll probably bite the bullet and pay the guys in London to take it away, service it and bring it back.

Get it online then..

It's all smoke and mirrors online. They say they have it, your size, your colour, in stock, you call them, as I did, guess what ? Just waiting on that particular one coming back in. :banghead:

As a local dealer said today, they take your money and fill you with false promises and then get back to you saying it's not arrived as planned.

It's all smoke and mirrors online. They say they have it, your size, your colour, in stock, you call them, as I did, guess what ? Just waiting on that particular one coming back in. :banghead:

As a local dealer said today, they take your money and fill you with false promises and then get back to you saying it's not arrived as planned.

That’s annoying then. Have you tried Evans?

Mate of mine in the same situation, he's been ringing around dealers who supposedly have bikes in stock , apparently they list them as in stock if they are on order from the warehouse so list them as stock items. The waiting times he has been quoted is 5 weeks
The Cube 140 is no longer available in the new 2021 list according to some

Is this just Cube eMtbs ?

Is this just Cube eMtbs ?

It's only Cubes I've enquired about and to anticipate your next question, yes it's really only Cube I've focused on for a number of reason, 3 x times localish dealers, best bang for buck and lovely looking.

Have you tried Evans?

Phones switched off and can't get any response via there so called online chat and no reply to email. As jasext has touched on, I'm not alone in what I've experienced.

It's only Cubes I've enquired about and to anticipate your next question, yes it's really only Cube I've focused on for a number of reason, 3 x times localish dealers, best bang for buck and lovely looking.

Well anticipated, can’t really argue with that, my wife’s Cube eBike is fantastically designed and put together. From what I’ve read a local dealer for an eMtb is definitely a good thing.

It's massively frustrating because I'm likely to not be back to work before August at the earliest so have all summer to play.

Sold my MTB as I got bored riding the limited bridleways near my house, and I some stupid principled objection to putting the bike in the car and driving for an hour to have a bike ride. Bought a CX bike instead that’s enough for light off-road work and with road wheels and tyres makes a decent winter training bike. Until the quite recently MTBs could reasonably be ridden for a few miles on the road to reach trails but today’s MTBs don’t look like that to me, gearing good for a max of 10-15 mph?

Sold my MTB as I got bored riding the limited bridleways near my house, and I some stupid principled objection to putting the bike in the car and driving for an hour to have a bike ride. Bought a CX bike instead that’s enough for light off-road work and with road wheels and tyres makes a decent winter training bike. Until the quite recently MTBs could reasonably be ridden for a few miles on the road to reach trails but today’s MTBs don’t look like that to me, gearing good for a max of 10-15 mph?

I can understand your frustrations

New MTB with one chainring seem to be the norm now

Riding a proper MTB on road has always felt like wading thru treacle. You can feel the drag on the tyres and energy losses thru a full sus frame movement. It really wasn't anywhere near as bad 20 years (even less so 30 yrs ago, no susp at all, very limited choice of 2" tyres, no 2.6" mud pluggers etc) but has always felt like defeating the object of what the bike is actually for.
In order to not get bored with the same tracks close by, I really need to get in the car and drive an hour up to the Dales, down to the Peak or a bit further to Lakes/North Wales....I am rapidly turning towards looking at an eMtb :surrender(I'll use man maths to buy it....'It'll save me £££ driving 1 or 2 hrs to ride)

New MTB with one chainring seem to be the norm now

They are, but the old fashioned way of working out gear 'inches' still holds true and what you have with a 1 x 12 is a wide spread of gears with the lowest being 23" and highest being 88". (For reference, a road bike with a common double chainset of 34/50 and an 11 speed rear cluster of say 11-25 will have a lowest gear of 38" and a high of 129". ) So spinning a MTB in its hardest gear should still see you up above 20mph....its just the other factors that make it hard work to maintain it.

Not the point I'm trying to get at.

Very nice but again, not quite what I'm trying to find out.

Yes knack is the key, just trying to understand how difficult it will be cause I know from experience what a ballache carrying a bike is.

This isn't me but an example of a Munro bagging bike expedition, where half the height has to be gain with a bike on your back.

60337711_2248221698554285_1921971231867797504_n.jpg

Foook to that!

They are, but the old fashioned way of working out gear 'inches' still holds true and what you have with a 1 x 12 is a wide spread of gears with the lowest being 23" and highest being 88". (For reference, a road bike with a common double chainset of 34/50 and an 11 speed rear cluster of say 11-25 will have a lowest gear of 38" and a high of 129". ) So spinning a MTB in its hardest gear should still see you up above 20mph....its just the other factors that make it hard work to maintain it.

I think I understood that, but will re-read it again, that was my point in the thread about the difference between a road bike and a hybrid, with regards to gearing

Yes, but that method was originally used when 27" wheels were the norm using 1" or so tyres back in the day. The much bigger tyres on MTB's will roll further, but not by much. I raised the front ring on my eMTB to up the gears. I can still climb a 1in4 on the lowest easy enough. With regard to a 12 cluster - this gives enough difference. When I started I had 2x5 (10 speed!) and remember when 6 came out. And these would give some ratio overlaps, and you get many more with the 2x11 or more you can get now. I remember the norm being a 42/53 Chainset with 13-18 block and I could get up anything on a 42x18 (63" gear!)

I think the bigger problem with the latest FS eMTB nowadays is the use of very short cranks at 165mm. I couldn't use those (165's are used for track cycling for instance) . I see that Cube hardtails have normal crank sizes fitted. I do quite fancy a C62 Hardtail.

Back
Top Bottom