Oi...Emtb'ers

Sold my MTB as I got bored riding the limited bridleways near my house, and I some stupid principled objection to putting the bike in the car and driving for an hour to have a bike ride. Bought a CX bike instead that’s enough for light off-road work and with road wheels and tyres makes a decent winter training bike. Until the quite recently MTBs could reasonably be ridden for a few miles on the road to reach trails but today’s MTBs don’t look like that to me, gearing good for a max of 10-15 mph?

One of the main reasons I stopped MTBing a few years ago. I too bought a CX bike but found it too much of a compromise on the local trails so it just ended up being a slow road bike. A decent EMTB however handles rough terrain with comfort and ease, but can also power along the tarmac. The lanes around where I live are in a shocking state and really no fun on a road bike anyway. Mine has been chipped to remove the 15mph restriction but the reality is that with MTB gearing, huge tyres and a 21kg weight penalty 20 mph on the flat is about the sweet spot. I can now go further, in more comfort, without feeling like I'm wading through treacle on the road and have fun!! If you want more of a workout just reduce the power assist. On the road I rarely go above eco on the flat and tour will get me up most hills. The biggest cost is in money, which as they say, you can't take it with you when you go!!

Yes, but that method was originally used when 27" wheels were the norm using 1" or so tyres back in the day. The much bigger tyres on MTB's will roll further, but not by much.

It's a mathematical equation.....various websites now factor in any wheel size and also tyre size so it is still correct. :beerjug:

https://www.bikecalc.com/gear_inches

I watched a different video last night of the same mountain but much longer, the push/carry up looks horrendous, I may have to re-evaluate my aspirations :blast

I watched a different video last night of the same mountain but much longer, the push/carry up looks horrendous, I may have to re-evaluate my aspirations :blast

The ones coming out with the 'hover' option will sort out the getting up the mountain bit.

The guy in the vid can ride like, you can see by his speed and those water bars are a lot wider than they look on camera.

The guy in the vid can ride like, you can see by his speed and those water bars are a lot wider than they look on camera.

He looks like he can ride ok - its possible I may fall off a few time’s attempting that route.

He looks like he can ride ok - .

I'd suggest he's a bitty better than "ok" If you watch him at 3.00 for about 40 seconds you see him doing the stepping stones after his wheelie then tipping over before the bridge, then cleaning the bridge, that's skillz.

I'd suggest he's a bitty better than "ok" If you watch him at 3.00 for about 40 seconds you see him doing the stepping stones after his wheelie then tipping over before the bridge, then cleaning the bridge, that's skillz.

Did you ever get your Cube FS ?

Trying to get hold of a Cube eBike at the moment and there’s none to be had bloody anywhere.

Did you ever get your Cube FS ?

Trying to get hold of a Cube eBike at the moment and there’s none to be had bloody anywhere.

No, ended up buying a bloody KTM 790 instead :blast

Once that goes the plan is to get one :rolleyes:

The 2021 models are now on the go, well they are on the Cube website with prices.

Check out some of the videos that McTrail rider has posted on YouTube. He mainly rides a normal Mtb but also rides his E-Mtb around Scotland.
[video]https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_gphP-tZQ67PePDJvGwzXN9iImQvEt3d[/video]

I'm not expecting to be able to ride up anything with one, what concerns me is buying mainly to "mountain bike" then finding out they are too heavy to get them up a mountain as there will be a fair bit pushing, possibly carrying.

I guess unless you've pushed, pulled, dragged and carried a mtb up a mountain, it's a difficult question to answer.

Twat :blast

Back
Top Bottom