Zumo xt mounts faulty

Keep your (possibly) shonky old mounts and flog them off in a few years, when everyone has forgotten about the issue.

I have measured the new and old mounts and they are exactly the same
All Garmin have done is put a bit of thin tape on the face of the mount to hold the unit up a bit ( .004" to be exact )
That make the unit a tighter fit in the claws and thats why you have to press it harder to get it in and lost the clip noise
What a quality bodge Garmin ;)

The good thing is all you have to do with your old mount is the same thing....So don't thow it away a bit of tape and it's sorted :thumby:

Attachments

• IMG_20200529_161224.jpg
    IMG_20200529_161224.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_20200529_161513.jpg
    IMG_20200529_161513.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 165
I fitted my mount yesterday, and noticed that unless you give the unit a slight thump into the mount, you don’t get the satisfying ‘click’ when it snaps in. Anyone else found the same, with the new mounts?

Did you put the 4 top hat type spacers on the back? If you didn't you will get that problem.

Back?
Don't they go at the front??? :yikes

Also: my new mount doesn't have the tape.

Thank you! Yes, same problem as Nutty: no click.
I'll swap them around later.

Keep your (possibly) shonky old mounts and flog them off in a few years, when everyone has forgotten about the issue.

The good thing is all you have to do with your old mount is the same thing....So don't thow it away a bit of tape and it's sorted :thumby:

I told you so. There's gold in those old mounts yet.

I did the same 'tape trick' years ago when the 'teeth' on a very much earlier Garmin device's mount's retaining clip wore down. It lasted for several years more and was on it when I sold it to another happy owner on UKGSer.

I'm an idiot, mine has the tape too. Saw it in my own photo up there. :D :D :D

Did you put the 4 top hat type spacers on the back? If you didn't you will get that problem.

No, I put them on the front. :blast

How did you know to put them on the back?

As there were no instructions, I assumed that they go in the front. :blast :blast

How did you know to put them on the back?

As there were no instructions, I assumed that they go in the front.

All this sexual innuendo is killing me.

nojoke.gif

Just been out and had a look at the mount, and the nav now snaps in every time. So I'll leave it as is, as it's not going anywhere. It took long enough to make sure it's 100% level, so I'm not going through all that again. :blast :D

If you don't do it the correct way the mount distorts.

On your own head be it. :rob :D:D

Got mine today, checked the serial number and i'm good to go as it's outside the range. Got the mount fitted and managed to modify my 590 home made mount lock to fit this one which is a bonus.

The top hats go between the Zumo mount and the ram mount, washers under the nuts at the front. Was the same on the 590 mount.

Will be playing with it setting it up tonight :D

Back
Top Bottom