Protecting polished alloy

wrinkleyowlie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The front forks on my 1400 California weren't really bad, but they did let the bike down a bit, as the rest of the bike is now mint. I've stripped the forks of the original lacquer and they've cleaned up very nicely.
Now, best way to protect them? Can I go straight on an re lacquer, or is there a process ? Google searches have not really produced anything.

If you want the option of polishing them again you could leave them as they are and just coat them in WD40 or GT85 and wipe with a clean microfibre cloth then polish them.occasionally with solvol autosol?

If you want the option of polishing them again you could leave them as they are and just coat them in WD40 or GT85 and wipe with a clean microfibre cloth then polish them.occasionally with solvol autosol?

Unless there totally sealed , they will oxidise in a very short space of time

there is a product called "the pink stuff" that I cleaned the VERY dirty alloy tail can on my 12 GS its been lying out unused for a couple of months and water is still beading on it

Thanks for the hints. I didn't know Etch Lacquer existed. I did a bit of research, it's not cheap, but I've just sent for some. Thanks for the heads up TIM.

Had mine bead blasted smooth and painted satin black, extra hard finish and no more oxidisation.wipe over with a cloth or polish. My brother did same with his California. Looks far better IMHO. Or try a regular polish with 'peek' not as abrasive as some.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200425_205701_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20200425_205701_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_20190719_171610.jpg
    IMG_20190719_171610.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 355
How much are you going to use it in the salty winter? I’d just accept a regular rub down with Solvol, and in between times use WD40 or GT85. The people who refurbished the diamond cut alloys on my car said, as supported by all the 4 Wheel forums, that lacquer just doesn’t stick to polished alloy very well. I’ve used etch primer and that worked, not tried etch lacquer.

Back
Top Bottom