K1300S - distinctive klonk when engaging first gear

GreyHairedWombat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
There is a distinctive klonk when engaging first gear on a 2015 model which has recently got worst. Mileage low. Heard this might be normal and may go away by itself. Has anyone also had this problem? Is it a inherent design problem? Does it come and go? Should I be worried?

Thank you

I had a K13S for five years and a K13GT before that and a clunk when selecting first is normal, as well as embarrassing and infuriating! I used to avoid it if stopped briefly at lights by staying in first with the clutch in (against everything I know to be good practice) but the noise turned heads otherwise. If it's got noticeably worse then might be worth asking a dealer to have a listen - any noticeable change is always worth investigating. Great bike though :thumb2

check its had any recalls done as there were probs with clutches and different fixes. I think basicaly if the clutch basket is black its the latest one. lots online. There is also a man in UK who modifies basket aswell.

Had a K1200S when they first came out (admittedly some while ago now).
Try selecting 2nd from neutral and then 1st. - hope I’m not remembering this from something else!

Had a K1200S when they first came out (admittedly some while ago now).
Try selecting 2nd from neutral and then 1st. - hope I’m not remembering this from something else!

You're remembering it correctly :thumb2. Another possible fix was to pull the clutch in and release before pulling it in again and selecting first. Both of these were touted in various forums but in my experience they didn't work (well, maybe once in a blue moon!).

Thank you again to those kind enough to share their experiences. Best just avoid using first gear unless I really need to

My dealer when I questioned it said if it sounds like chucking a brick into a cement mixer it’s working perfectly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if this means no sealed bearings in K Series gearboxes. I didn't understand why they were used in oilhead gearboxes until I found the spec. that BMW set out for Getrag in the manufacture of them.

It would appear that BMW riders do not wish anything so unsophisticated as a clunk when engaging first gear. Sealed bearings were therefore fitted to shorten the spin down time of the shafts. Of course, the downside of this is that
you sometimes have to ease out the clutch to spin the shaft to align the dogs with the cogs. somewhat defeating the purpose.

The other issue was the cheap sealed bearings were prone to failure. Somewhere in the garage, I still have the broken mainshaft out of a friend's original R1200GS.

It was always my understanding that sealed bearings are only used where the bearing isn't in a constant lubrication system. You rarely see a sealed bearing in an engine because you're sealing oil out the bearing. Which is exactly where you want it. Often you see a single sided seal bearing in a crank case where you only get lubrication on one side.

A sealed bearing is used in a wheel or hub where it is packed with grease and factory sealed.

There is a distinctive klonk when engaging first gear on a 2015 model which has recently got worst. Mileage low. Heard this might be normal and may go away by itself. Has anyone also had this problem? Is it a inherent design problem? Does it come and go? Should I be worried?

Thank you

I had a 1200s and two 1300s and neither of these did this.

My first 1300s had a very hard life and was fantastic

My K 1200 R Sport always does it, apart from the first change on a cold engine when the oil is thicker.

My K1200GT (similar engine, I believe) and K1600GT both had this problem when the engine was warm. As you say, mildly embarrassing at the lights. Never got any worse, and never broke anything.

Current R1250GS is the same. Snicks in perfectly on starting but as soon as it's warm, an almighty clunk going into first from neutral.

Back
Top Bottom