Thinking about a S1000XR

Just a question about warranty, I have looked at a couple of bikes from main dealers and from other non-BMW dealers. BMW appear to have a 2 year warranty including recovery in U.K. and Europe, which seems a pretty good deal to me, (yes, I know you pay for it one way or the other). So if I were to buy privately or from a non-BMW dealership, could I buy myself this type of warranty from BMW?

Just a question about warranty, I have looked at a couple of bikes from main dealers and from other non-BMW dealers. BMW appear to have a 2 year warranty including recovery in U.K. and Europe, which seems a pretty good deal to me, (yes, I know you pay for it one way or the other). So if I were to buy privately or from a non-BMW dealership, could I buy myself this type of warranty from BMW?

It's a maybe.

I bought a 2016 bike in 2018 from a non-franchised dealer, just after the 2 year factory warranty ran out. Even though there was a 2 month gap after the factory warranty expired I had the option to extend the warranty for just under £400 per year. I have not done this and now have £800 in the bank. Well, a bit less as I have had to buy a breakdown policy each year. Not used that though, the only thing to pack up was the battery after 4 years, so they don't all fail early.

I’ve had my XR for 3 years now and no intention to change. Am test riding the new XR next month, but more because I feel I should just to see what it’s like. The only bike I could ever see me changing my XR for is the the new one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's a maybe.

I bought a 2016 bike in 2018 from a non-franchised dealer, just after the 2 year factory warranty ran out. Even though there was a 2 month gap after the factory warranty expired I had the option to extend the warranty for just under £400 per year. I have not done this and now have £800 in the bank. Well, a bit less as I have had to buy a breakdown policy each year. Not used that though, the only thing to pack up was the battery after 4 years, so they don't all fail early.

New warranty doesnt include breakdown, that’s another £65 of your finest English pounds !

OK, another question for you all, I have looked for a S1000XR SE, but I have come across a really nice S1000XR Sport. Now I know there are fewer bells and whistles on the Sport, but is it any less of a bike for it?

OK, another question for you all, I have looked for a S1000XR SE, but I have come across a really nice S1000XR Sport. Now I know there are fewer bells and whistles on the Sport, but is it any less of a bike for it?

Yes it is

IIRC the suspension being the main difference ( unless that has changed )

Not sure what else is missing from the 'standard' version, but if you are talking about a 'pre-2020' model - I would be attracted to this (and suck up that it poss doesn't have Nav support)

Get some decent shock/fork internals, and you have possibly a better riding bike, without the foibles of BMW electronic suspension. It is the route I would have gone down had I not got my SE at what I considered to be a knock-down price. There are hardly any non-SE bikes in UK, as they were special order, I believe.

I reckon when the bike gets to 5yrs old - the one with the non-electronc but upgraded suspension - bike, wil be in more demand than one with electronic suspension.

[EDIT] just read post above re quickshifter. Yes, that would be a bonus, as it really is slick.

Not sure what else is missing from the 'standard' version, but if you are talking about a 'pre-2020' model - I would be attracted to this (and suck up that it poss doesn't have Nav support)

Get some decent shock/fork internals, and you have possibly a better riding bike, without the foibles of BMW electronic suspension. It is the route I would have gone down had I not got my SE at what I considered to be a knock-down price. There are hardly any non-SE bikes in UK, as they were special order, I believe.

I reckon when the bike gets to 5yrs old - the one with the non-electronc but upgraded suspension - bike, wil be in more demand than one with electronic suspension.

[EDIT] just read post above re quickshifter. Yes, that would be a bonus, as it really is slick.

as the XR came out in 2015 there are plenty of 5 year old bikes. Most are SE Sport with electronic suspension. They do not seem to hang around for long and the prices do not seem to have dropped much since I bought my 2016 bike in 2018.

The Sport I am looking at does have the quick shifter or “Gear Assist Pro” as BMW calls it :beerjug:

The Sport I am looking at does have the quick shifter or “Gear Assist Pro” as BMW calls it :beerjug:

what colour are the forks? Gold are electronic, silver conventional.

models were
base XR; XR SE & XR Sport SE as per the document above.

Are you sure it is not the full spec. bike?

Spend the extra money for the SE sport

The trick suspension is very good on that bike where the non semi suspenders are a bit cheap IMO

I'm trying to sell a Sport SE and can't get arrested, includes all the key farkles and no dice... I'll probably end up keeping it at this rate!

I currently have one of the last 1200 GS raylles with a TFT , I really wanted a. 1250 GSA . I took one out for a test ride and it was crap of the highest order . To be fair I think they was something wrong with the bike I think which I mentioned but was given the brush off. I went back and tried the GSA again and a GS back to back , the GSA was still crap but the GS was as good as mine. What a carry on , then lockdown happened , then the newS1000XR was released , holy crap. With all the issues linked to the new 1250 no matter which one it is and there are far too many unhappy owners out there to ignore . So now I have started to look at the 1000XR , I have contacted my local dealer , but it appears there is a shortage of them ! Anyway I am almost scared to build my hopes up that it will be what I am looking for. I will keep you all posted .

I currently have one of the last 1200 GS raylles with a TFT , I really wanted a. 1250 GSA . I took one out for a test ride and it was crap of the highest order . To be fair I think they was something wrong with the bike I think which I mentioned but was given the brush off. I went back and tried the GSA again and a GS back to back , the GSA was still crap but the GS was as good as mine. What a carry on , then lockdown happened , then the newS1000XR was released , holy crap. With all the issues linked to the new 1250 no matter which one it is and there are far too many unhappy owners out there to ignore . So now I have started to look at the 1000XR , I have contacted my local dealer , but it appears there is a shortage of them ! Anyway I am almost scared to build my hopes up that it will be what I am looking for. I will keep you all posted .

what's actually wrong with the current bike that makes you want to change? It can't be that old if it has a TFT.

The GS/GSA and the XR are not comparable, so don’t think you are getting a ‘more reliable GS’.

Try one, by all means - but make sure you get an extended test-ride.

I think half change and love them, and the other half return to GS-type bikes.

Back
Top Bottom