Honda CT125 Hunter Cub

Just don't low side on the right with petrol (or whiskey) in it!

It has a rear snorkel , such that the air intake is up high, near the rear rack. Useful.

IMG_3611.jpegBeen looking at this thread (and others) to keep track on what fellow tossers think of these. I’ve also been watching a few of Nathan Postman’s YouTube videos of him out on the lanes in Devon on them.

So impressed that I decided I wanted one and contacted SevenSeas, but unfortunately they are not likely to get any new ones in for some time. Luckily I managed to find one that had just been imported by a chap who lives on the Isle of White, so off I went as a foot passenger from Lymington on the most expensive ferry in the World (per mile) to go look at it.

End result, I loved it and bought it and then rode it back onto the ferry (even more expensive return journey!) to get it back into my van.

It’s from Japan and in pretty good condition, with under 5k miles on it, and has heated grips fitted, but the speedo can’t be changed to mph so I must have a different type to Micky!. Just needs a bit of cleaning up, air in tyres, chain adjusted etc. and then I have got to do all the paperwork to get it registered in the UK. All the import fees and taxes have been paid, but it needs to go for a MSAV assessment at an approved testing centre (nearest is Southampton unfortunately!)

Looking forward to getting everything sorted so I can get it out on some trails!

I saw that guy on IOW selling them, DK listed a similar Jap import one for £4799 and it went in a day, makes your a bargain. one or two beginning to pop up on the used market now. I’ve been hankering after one for ages, then I saw one of the new Dax’s in Vertu Honda a couple of weeks ago. Not the same I know but to me just as appealing, only in a different way. £3749 OTR. Had to have one.
Little bike, little car!

Attachments

• IMG_9185.jpeg
    IMG_9185.jpeg
    218.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9190.jpeg
    IMG_9190.jpeg
    270.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I saw that guy on IOW selling them, DK listed a similar Jap import one for £4799 and it went in a day, makes your a bargain. one or two beginning to pop up on the used market now. I’ve been hankering after one for ages, then I saw one of the new Dax’s in Vertu Honda a couple of weeks ago. Not the same I know but to me just as appealing, only in a different way. £3749 OTR. Had to have one.
Little bike, little car!
Nice one - and for road only a very viable choice for what you want to do with them. (y)

For me, and given that I want to do some trail riding, the Hunter was the one I needed.

Guy on the IOW has another 3 for sale I believe. He seems to be a bit low key, with just the odd eBay annd FaceBook advert, but he’s been importing Jap cars and bikes for years. He was thinking about a proper website etc. which would be sensible, but his location does make it a bit of a faff To go and view stuff.

I was pleased with my deal, and the bike was better than I expected, but the only issue is he hasn’t done any of the leg work to get it registered. Should hopefully only be a matter of paperwork and getting the MSVA test done, so keeping my fingers crossed a KPH only speedo won’t be an issue (Otherwise I’ll fit an Opimid).

Then there might be a bit of farkling required :D

Nice one - and for road only a very viable choice for what you want to do with them. (y)

For me, and given that I want to do some trail riding, the Hunter was the one I needed.

Guy on the IOW has another 3 for sale I believe. He seems to be a bit low key, with just the odd eBay annd FaceBook advert, but he’s been importing Jap cars and bikes for years. He was thinking about a proper website etc. which would be sensible, but his location does make it a bit of a faff To go and view stuff.

I was pleased with my deal, and the bike was better than I expected, but the only issue is he hasn’t done any of the leg work to get it registered. Should hopefully only be a matter of paperwork and getting the MSVA test done, so keeping my fingers crossed a KPH only speedo won’t be an issue (Otherwise I’ll fit an Opimid).

Then there might be a bit of farkling required :D
Nice one Toddy (y)

The 2023 models can be toggled between MPH & KPH but not the earlier ones. The Opmid speedo is well worth it. Cheaper on eBay from abroad but I bought mine from Ben's Bike Racing. Good to deal with and knowledgable .... and a safer warranty maybe (y)

https://www.takegawauk.co.uk/product-page/opmid-m1204-multi-meter-dash-plug-n-play-honda-monkey-125

We'll need our own section soon, especially if Arsey gets his finger out and buys one :thumby:

Keep us updated with the farkles :thumb

:beerjug:

Nice one Toddy (y)

The 2023 models can be toggled between MPH & KPH but not the earlier ones. The Opmid speedo is well worth it. Cheaper on eBay from abroad but I bought mine from Ben's Bike Racing. Good to deal with and knowledgable .... and a safer warranty maybe (y)

https://www.takegawauk.co.uk/product-page/opmid-m1204-multi-meter-dash-plug-n-play-honda-monkey-125

We'll need our own section soon, especially if Arsey gets his finger out and buys one :thumby:

Keep us updated with the farkles :thumb

Thanks for the info Micky, and will definitely be looking at Ben’s Bike Racing - is it the same bloke that runs the UK owners forum (Matt Heliwell)? I’ve got a bit of a list of stuff I think I will need over time so no doubt will be asking folk for advice on suppliers pretty soon.

Would be good to get out own section, but I guess we‘ll need a few more owners for that, which but might be tough given how hard it is to get one. Maybe just an exclusive corner in Dent one year instead? ;)

Arsey definitely needs to get one quickly - and then maybe he can source bits for us on his work trips to and from the US? :)

Thanks for the info Micky, and will definitely be looking at Ben’s Bike Racing - is it the same bloke that runs the UK owners forum (Matt Heliwell)? I’ve got a bit of a list of stuff I think I will need over time so no doubt will be asking folk for advice on suppliers pretty soon.

Would be good to get out own section, but I guess we‘ll need a few more owners for that, which but might be tough given how hard it is to get one. Maybe just an exclusive corner in Dent one year instead? ;)

Arsey definitely needs to get one quickly - and then maybe he can source bits for us on his work trips to and from the US? :)

Think it would fuck my back up even more . Just ordered something else today but happy to pick up shite for you .
In fact I’m in Shanghai as I type . Need any Ali Express knock off bollox

Think it would fuck my back up even more . Just ordered something else today but happy to pick up shite for you .
In fact I’m in Shanghai as I type . Need any Ali Express knock off bollox
Thanks Martin, that’s very kind of you (and sorry to hear about the back!) . No idea how comfortable the thing will be as yet, but other folk seem to have no problems.

If you do happen across any outlets that stock racks etc. then my current list includes:

Exhaust protector like this - https://beezdeals.com/product/exhaust-pipe-guard-falling-protector-honda-ct125-trail-125/

Front Rack like this one - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223287627152

Middle rack such as this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40414437...MI8Kbx75WY_wIVC9vtCh0GqgZpEAQYBCABEgJrE_D_BwE

No problem for me to wait as I haven’t got the thing registered yet, and trust your judgement on quality etc. so if anything does come up that you can easily source and bring back then just let me know.

Your offer of help is much appreciated Sir, and hope wheatever you have just bought work for you :beerjug:

I was thinking about this thread when my mate sent me this pic' of his 1981 Honda CT110....

Christchurch NZ in case you were wondering....

EDIT - Am I missing something, no full size pic's, just thumbnails??????

Attachments

• e09b5766-888a-4f73-b9e9-2d198374185f.jpeg
    e09b5766-888a-4f73-b9e9-2d198374185f.jpeg
    213.5 KB · Views: 48

Dunno if Ben's Bike Racing is that same guy, but I've bought some stuff from him and it's good quality and good service (y)

Best place for aftermarket bits is Thailand where the CT125 is also made.... d'ya get to Bangkock Martin? :green gri

Having said that, there's not much else I want for mine .... just time to ride the bloody thing :blast

A CT125 section would be good indeed

Best farkle to date has to be the OPMID. Best avoidance is racks, both front side and centre (just hanging a couple of bags off the bike frame at the moment) Best and cheapest modification has been going tubeless

BBKs, both 143 and 164 sound interesting but a bit of an expensive rabbit hole

Best farkle to date has to be the OPMID. Best avoidance is racks, both front side and centre (just hanging a couple of bags off the bike frame at the moment) Best and cheapest modification has been going tubeless

I agree on the Opmid speedo (y)

Just wondered why you went tubeless and what solution did you go for?

I intend to take mine on the trails so will probably keep it tubed for the time being.

Just wondered why you went tubeless and what solution did you go for?

I intend to take mine on the trails so will probably keep it tubed for the time being.
Did 150,000 miles on the F800GS with tubed tyres, never a problem. I keep an Aerosol of Motul repair and inflate, used a couple of times to good effect. These days riding with inner tubes aren't like the 1960's where you could get several punctures on one ride :blast

We rode two F6050GS's 20,000 miles across Russia, Siberia, Mongolia, Gobi Desert, China, and back home to the UK via The Stans, on tubed tyres .... without a puncture :thumby:

Micky you're very lucky, I hope you didn't jinx yourself.

I went tubeless ‘cos:-

1. An element of safety - tubeless punctures tend to deflate relatively slowly giving time to pull over under control. Had several punctures on my tubed SP370 and the air ripped out pretty instantly via the spoke ends and valve hole

2. Convenience - my well used Stop & Go plugger kit has always got me back in action quickly without having to remove and refit wheel, tyre and tube

Another advantage, but not tested myself, is that the remaining tube is now clamped and protected between the wheel rim and tyre bead. Hopefully this does away with the all too familiar snakebite type tube punctures whether smacking into potholes or rocks when on the trail (this comes from the Fatbike MTB community)

I used the DIY split tube or “ghetto” method. A year ago it took 45mins and twenty quid from my credit card (for a couple of smaller tubes) and all is still good - I do however carry a 17” tube in my tool kit and a can of Micky’s Motul just in case!!

This explains the technique

I went tubeless ‘cos:-

1. An element of safety - tubeless punctures tend to deflate relatively slowly giving time to pull over under control. Had several punctures on my tubed SP370 and the air ripped out pretty instantly via the spoke ends and valve hole

2. Convenience - my well used Stop & Go plugger kit has always got me back in action quickly without having to remove and refit wheel, tyre and tube

Another advantage, but not tested myself, is that the remaining tube is now clamped and protected between the wheel rim and tyre bead. Hopefully this does away with the all too familiar snakebite type tube punctures whether smacking into potholes or rocks when on the trail (this comes from the Fatbike MTB community)

I used the DIY split tube or “ghetto” method. A year ago it took 45mins and twenty quid from my credit card (for a couple of smaller tubes) and all is still good - I do however carry a 17” tube in my tool kit and a can of Micky’s Motul just in case!!

This explains the technique
Thanks, hadn‘t seen that approach used before, but looks simple enough and seems effective!

I’ve got tubeless on the H-D as that’s exclusively a road bike and it’s an OE fitment and I’ve used a plug to repair a puncture on it previously which worked a treat

On the Husky I have the tubeliss system, with slime in the tyre, and that has worked really well over the past four years of trail riding, and allows me to run really low tyre pressures with no issues. The only downside is changing tyres involves a bit more faff.

On the 690, which does both tarmac and trails, I have fitted heavy duty tubes. I have used this bike previously on longer, more remote off road trips with camping kit and I prefer the security that carrying spare tubes brings.

For the the CT I think I‘m going to stick with tubes for now and see how I get on.

Thanks for the useful info though, I may give it a go sometime :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom