Calais to Lloret de Mar and back

Wapping

Reaction score
Via a PM, a site subscriber approached me, asking if I could assist him with a route from Calais to Lloret de Mar and a different return route. I am not usually that keen on creating personalised routes for people’s holidays, not least as I am not them and I know nothing about them, except that they ride a motorcycle. Mix in that, if it is to be done vaguely properly, it is not a five minute job. This one was a bit different, interesting in that it had some challenges, including:

1. The return route should be different enough from the way down, so as to justify riding it.

2. The A to B journey, Calais to Lloret de Mar is near enough 800 miles, if you go the obvious way to the west of Paris and down. Less obvious perhaps is the way back.

3. There was not a great deal of flexibility in the time available to complete either leg of the journeys, made more difficult as the return has to cater for an additional 200 miles on the last day, between Folkestone and the fellow’s home.

4. There had to be (in my opinion at least) enough ‘give’ in the route to allow a decent enough ride but not so little that one delay might throw the whole lot into jeopardy.

5. The time periods available were:

Outwards: Two and a half days. An early start, rolling off the train on the first day, to arrive at the final destination mid-afternoon, on day two and a half.

Return: Three days, but there’s the need to add in the additional 200 miles in the UK.

This is what I came up with:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bdlg63csna45fmp/WIP - Calais to Lloret de Mar 2.GPX?dl=0

The purists will moan, “Mate, you’ve put motorway in it!”. Yes, I have. Why? There are several reasons, including:

I am never entirely sure what ‘early’ means. To me, that might mean anything from five AM through to nine AM, a four hour spread. Putting motorways in builds some slack into the proposal.

If the Chunnel has significant delays in its schedule, the possible four hour spread increases. Rolling off the train at a planned early start time of say eight AM, might become 10 AM, two hours lost whilst standing still.

Avoiding motorways entirely to concentrate on N and D roads, bumps the mileage up but leaves the time available unaltered. Anything between 250 and 300 miles a day only on N and D roads is OK as a rough rule of thumb, when catering for unknown riders. Potentially over 350 to 400 is pushing it, unless you know the people pretty well. It is, after all, the chap’s holiday and he’ll probably still want to be married when he arrives.

Even though France is big, it is not always crammed with ‘Great, must do, roads, mate’. Sometimes the N or D road does nothing more than run parallel to the motorway, simply because the geography of the land dictates it has to be that way. The French build their motorways at great expense for a purpose; sometimes it’s just to get bods off the dreadful N and D road. You might as well get on the motorway for say, 50 or even 100 miles, as the lesser road quite possibly has no redeeming feature, other than to cater for blind obstinacy. Even the famed Michelin ‘green roads’ are not always a perfect indicator. Yes, they might be scenic, if your idea of scenic is village after village after quaint village, when you really want to be trundling reasonably quickly towards Lloret de Mar, to arrive mid-afternoon. If it’s not, then you might be in for a disappointment and some frustration.

I’d be grateful if members of UKGSer (particularly anybody familiar with BaseCamp / MapSource) could have a look at both routes. I don’t think I put any goat tracks into the routes and (I hope) was careful enough not to have some crazy jaunts up the wrong carriageway, requiring a U-turn and much cursing. If I have missed something obvious (yes, it misses the Millau bridge) sing up, I won’t be offended. Just make sure that the suggested alteration(s) still allow the total journey to be completed within the strict timeframe, without some crazy daily mileage or the poor fellow arriving at two AM to find his hotel (wherever that is) firmly closed, the biker friendly owner snoring loudly.

Thank you.

Tell him to buy some Michelin maps of the proposed route and then a kitchen table

Via a PM, a site subscriber approached me, asking if I could assist him with a route from Calais to Lloret de Mar and a different return route. I am not usually that keen on creating personalised routes for people’s holidays, not least as I am not them and I know nothing about them, except that they ride a motorcycle. Mix in that, if it is to be done vaguely properly, it is not a five minute job. This one was a bit different, interesting in that it had some challenges, including:

1. The return route should be different enough from the way down, so as to justify riding it.

2. The A to B journey, Calais to Lloret de Mar is near enough 800 miles, if you go the obvious way to the west of Paris and down. Less obvious perhaps is the way back.

3. There was not a great deal of flexibility in the time available to complete either leg of the journeys, made more difficult as the return has to cater for an additional 200 miles on the last day, between Folkestone and the fellow’s home.

4. There had to be (in my opinion at least) enough ‘give’ in the route to allow a decent enough ride but not so little that one delay might throw the whole lot into jeopardy.

5. The time periods available were:

Outwards: Two and a half days. An early start, rolling off the train on the first day, to arrive at the final destination mid-afternoon, on day two and a half.

Return: Three days, but there’s the need to add in the additional 200 miles in the UK.

This is what I came up with:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bdlg63csna45fmp/WIP - Calais to Lloret de Mar 2.GPX?dl=0

The purists will moan, “Mate, you’ve put motorway in it!”. Yes, I have. Why? There are several reasons, including:

I am never entirely sure what ‘early’ means. To me, that might mean anything from five AM through to nine AM, a four hour spread. Putting motorways in builds some slack into the proposal.

If the Chunnel has significant delays in its schedule, the possible four hour spread increases. Rolling off the train at a planned early start time of say eight AM, might become 10 AM, two hours lost whilst standing still.

Avoiding motorways entirely to concentrate on N and D roads, bumps the mileage up but leaves the time available unaltered. Anything between 250 and 300 miles a day on N and D roads is OK as a rough rule of thumb, when catering for unknown riders. Potentially over 350 to 400 is pushing it, unless you know the people pretty well. It is, after all, the bod’s holiday and he’ll probably still want to be married when he arrives.

Even though France is big, it is not always crammed with ‘Great, must do, roads, mate’. Sometimes the N or D road does nothing more than run parallel to the motorway, simply because the geography of the land dictates it has to be that way. The French build their motorways at great expense for a purpose; sometimes it’s just to get bods off the dreadful N and D road. You might as well get on the motorway for say, 50 or even 100 miles, as the lesser road quite possibly has no redeeming feature, other than to cater for blind obstinacy. Even the famed Michelin ‘green roads’ are not always a perfect indicator. Yes, they might be scenic, if your idea of scenic is village after village after quaint village (when you really want to be trundling reasonably quickly towards Lloret de Mar, to arrive mid-afternoon. If it’s not, then you might be in for a disappointment and some frustration.

I’d be grateful if members of UKGSer (particularly anybody familiar with BaseCamp / MapSource) could have a look at both routes. I don’t think I put any goat tracks into the routes and (I hope) was careful enough not to have some crazy jaunts up the wrong carriageway, requiring a U-turn and much cursing. If I have missed something obvious (yes, it misses the Millau bridge) sing up, I won’t be offended. Just make sure that the suggested alteration(s) still allow the total journey to be completed within the strict timeframe, without some crazy daily mileage or the poor fellow arriving at two AM to find his hotel (wherever that is) firmly closed, the biker friendly owner snoring loudly.

Thank you.

Very helpful...well done!

Not very helpful. Shame.

I will help anyone - if they want to be helped

Done routes for a few guys over the years and it’s a thankless task

Seems Wapping just got a ‘please plan me a route to LdeM and another different one back’ without a lot of info

Most people are lazy

The PM chap could have done some research himself first - but most won’t own a decent map even to the most basic research

Not really a shame, is it ?

I was self taught and all done before gps and half the fun is getting a guide book for the area to be visited and then relevant Michelin map

The fellow answered the few questions I had of him, quickly and politely, JB. As, I said, it was (as much as anything else) an interesting challenge, whilst we are stuck indoors.

Of corse the fellow should take a map with him, just as I have advised him to do in an email. Which two maps would I take?

1. Michelin 726, perfect for showing just the main roads, the motorways and the French tourist, ‘Bis’ routes. Great for crossing a big country easily.

2. Michelin 721 or 722. More detailed and useful to fill in smaller roads and places but can get a bit ‘busy’.

I wouldn’t bother with the regional maps, not least as to get a full set of what is a return journey of nearly 1,700 miles across two separate bits of France, would be quite a lot of paper.

Depending on what I was doing when I got to Lloret de Mar, I might take a regional map (say, 341) and maybe something for over the Spanish border. But if my intention on arrival was to park the bloody motorcycle and do nothing more than dabble my toes in the sea for four days, I wouldn't bother. I would also probably load the Michelin ‘Navigation’ app - which is free - onto my phone and / or iPad, as that would give me all the maps for free. It is tricky to draw on though, so I’d take a sheet of paper and a sharpened pencil, too.

Sorry JB...didn't mean to sound snippy. Always have a paper map to hand myself.

Peace and love bro!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ILSr9BbhoJQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I just knew someone would mention taking a compass. The question is, which sort?

A sun dial would be useful too, and it won't drain your bike's battery.

Wot a shit route for a bikermate....it ain't got the Millau or the Stelvio....probably nowhere to hoon on me awesome, either. :D

Has the bod been in regular contact with you to discuss/amend the route, or just sent you a request and is awaiting the result?

In reasonably regular contact, sufficient for us to make sure that what I was proposing met what he had in mind. A sundial is good. We had one at home, an old one that read, “I only count the sunny hours”. Old JB would have no use for it :D

PS John knows I don’t mean it.

We "blatted" (in proper bikermate style) over the Millau bridge when we rode back from Tossa De Mar, which is just along the coast from Lloret De Mar, up to Orleans in France.
It's a long boring ride to be honest, pretty desolate country as i remember, rather chilly as well (it was April).

From Tossa to Orleans is 542 miles, we arrived at 6pm but with lots of fecking about doing photo stops, eating and faffing, in true hung-over adventure bike riders styleeee. .

A friend of mine base jumped off the Millau bridge, twice I think. Les plods were none too impressed.

Downloaded that, thanks :thumby: Got trapped in a bar in Lloret de Mar once by torrential rains... missed the last bus home, had to get a taxi back to base in Tossa de Mar.:aidan

Thank you, this is very helpful. Blitzing it down to Vierzon makes absolute sense. I look forward to riding this in September down to Palamós.
:thumby:

Back
Top Bottom