an hour on the new S1000XR

ianran

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So, I got an hour to play on the new model S1000XR yesterday.
:okay
In the interest of disclosure,
I currently own an S1000XR 2018 “older£ model.
I currently own a Harley Fat Bob,
I have had multiple R1200GSA's and have spent a decent amount of time on the R1250GS as well.
I have owned 41 bikes from multiple manufacturers so am not bike loyal.

Right that is that out of the way, let me begin.
The new bike was a standard height one with a low seat, in undercoat grey! From what I could see its only accessory was the tall screen.
I rode this in town, on fast A roads, not so fast B roads and dual carriageways.
Walking round the bike the obvious changes are the Front Headlights and fairing, the adjustment on the windscreen, the TFT Display, at last, a lockable Sat Nav Bracket ( I retro fitted to mine) the brake lights in indicators thing and the Keyless ignition.

I sat on it, as it was standard it was a bit high, mine is the low frame. The seat was not as plush as mine, I have the HP seat. I started the engine, and the next thing I discovered was, I could reach the clutch lever! A quick check showed that they finally got round to putting an adjuster on this.

Having moved off, to exit the dealers, the next noticeable change was the footrests position, much higher than mine but then I have the HP adjustable set. I thought this would be an immediate ride stopper for me, I have had a new knee fitted in March and its still not to happy with tight bends. I managed to fidget and that it was not too bad, though finding the gear lever was a bit of a struggle.

The second immediate difference on rider ergonomics are the bar, they are narrower which gave a sportier fee to the bike l as the early models have the tillers as used on the GS.

About know I noticed the difference in the engine, it just seemed to be a little less rev happy than mine and more comfortable in the lower gears, I find with mine I’m in 6th before I know it. This may not have the funky cam system of the R but it is still a definite improvement on the original engine without the added complication. It just seemed to have that bit more in terms of acceleration and could, in the wrong hands, go way past national speed limits. Bear in mind this one had the limiter in place as it was pretty much brand new, once it is full run in and unshackled a good rider on this would leave the old model in his wake.

Having got on to my well-known twisty bits I noticed the difference in the handling, this thing was lighter than mine to tip into bends but still felt planted round a bend. The weather conditions were not at their best, so the roads were at times very greasy. At no time did this thing ever feel like I was taking a risk, now I am not a MotoGP rider but I can make progress when needed, the new bike handles just that bit sweeter than mine. This bile can be hustled along very easily, I gave it beans on poor surfaced roads and not once did it complain, maybe the tyres, but just felt more secure than mine. Overtaking was an absolute breeze this thing flies. I did ride sensibly for a while in "head in touring mode", on a bike like this, this was totally relaxing. I sat with cruise on a crappy bit of road and with hands of the bars this thing still just sailed on.

As previously mentioned, I have a dodgy knee so was expecting some grief with the new riding position. After about 40 minutes it dawned on me that I had forgotten about this issue! The low seat on this bike felt hard on initial mounting (oo er matron!) but as with the original S1000xr it just worked. The screen was easy to move up and down buy a lever on the side, this made it easy to adjust for when it was raining or not, I liked the lower position without rain and the upper position when it was inclement.

After a while I stopped for a swig of water and had a good look round, the overall finish looks as good as mine though the Jury is out on the grey colour scheme although it was growing on me. One minor gripe was that, as it does with my model, the side stand seems to be too short, still gives Mr Cymarc some room for product. I had a play around with the TFT and it is as good as it is on any of their other bikes so a step forward for me. AS you look you notice other subtle differences, I did like the little storage place above the filler cap, very useful for Toll Tickets, ear plugs and speeding fine.

So, in conclusion, this bike just grows on you, I would happily take this to the south of France if ever allowed there again.
This is not revolution it is evolution. It is just that bit better in all the major places, Engine? Just that bit better, Handling? Just that bit better, Instruments? Just that bit better, Ergonomics? For me, once again, just that bit better. Quantum leaps forward? An adjustable clutch lever and TFT dash :D

So are there Any downsides? Two things spring to mind, my HP bits and SHAD panniers won’t fit and the colour schemes are very limited.:blast

Would I swap over? I will let you know when I get the cost of change comes through. The older bike is not a bad bike, mine doesn’t buzz through the bars badly, goes like stink and, in my opinion, wass a much better bike than any other sporty tourer on the market. For me, this new one has taken that title, it just got under my skin in a very good way. Is it my box bike (last one before I die!)? No but I’m hoping to keep looking :beerjug:

Good effort-Two cliches in twelve words !!!!

Seems a tad harsh ! :)

Cliché? I will run your criticisms up the flag pole and see who comes out to salute it!:pullface

For other critics, my apologies for not being a professional journalist, bile should have read bike!

Good read, cheers for that.

Nae vibes then ?

You say it's restricted ?? In what way ??

Does it have better mid rev pull than the previous model, I'm interested in it but not if I have to rev the tits out of it to get anywhere, my days of that are long gone.

Don't have vibrations on mine, had a buzz in top at 60 but a set of bar end weights killed them off.

For the first 600 miles BMW lower the max revs on the S1000xr hence reference to restriction.

I found it easier to roll on the throttle from low speed, I tried it from 40mph in top and it pulled very cleanly and quickly up to 69.9mph officer.
I thought it was better in the mid range than mine.

I really like my bike so if the cost of change is harsh then I will more than happily keep her.
Some parts of my bike have done over 16000 miles in the two years I've had it.

I've done the same mileage again on three other bikes, R1200R (now gone), E1200GSALC (Now gone to Portugal) and, since October, a Harley Fat bob.

If I had go back to one bike it would be the S1000Xr.

Thanks for the review Ian, I'm in a similar position , having bought a 2019 triple black, not long before the 'new' version was revealed and, with the benefit of hindsight, I would have waited, as I have other bikes to ride and, as it turns out, not really had much of an opportunity to ride any of them.
So, not changing for now and hopefully not going to change my mine after Ive had a chance to ride this latest version.

Thanks for the write up. I much prefer the look to my 2017 one and if it’s more touring friendly that would be a bonus for me. Can’t afford to test ride it though :p

Thanks very much for your write up. Had a deposit on one since early January and still awaiting a demo at Lind, although they’ve had one for a few days.
Cheers

Enjoyed the write up - thanks. Take the criticisms with a pinch of salt or better still just ignore them :)

Great write up Ian and I'm waiting for Bahnstormer to let me know about their one for a test ride :D

How does the suspension compare to yours? Did you get to play with the various settings, as the new bike is meant to soak up the bumps a lot better?

Thanks very much for your write up. Had a deposit on one since early January and still awaiting a demo at Lind, although they’ve had one for a few days.
Cheers

Sorry to hijack your thread mate. I been trying to get hold of vincentrapide via pm but his inbox seems to be full, does anyone know how i can get in contact with him, or hopefully he will come back to this thread and see my message.

Sorry to hijack your thread mate. I been trying to get hold of vincentrapide via pm but his inbox seems to be full, does anyone know how i can get in contact with him, or hopefully he will come back to this thread and see my message.

No problem, who am I to stand in the way of true love?:love

2 hour test ride yesterday on the 2020

I thought I would give my two penath worth.

I own a 2018 sport SE and missed the 3 year warranty by a fortnight so my two years is up and though now was the right time to have a test ride on the 2020.

My initial opinion after riding back to back are as follows.

Narrow bars got a thumbs up
Dash was nice and I suppose that's progress that won't stop.
Seat felt a tad more comfortable, to me it felt more level and not slipping towards tank, maybe combined with the slightly different feet position it worked for me.
Don't like the front mudguard unless it's in carbon, side luggage is north of 800 smackers, a joke if you ask me.

Know for the ride. Dynamic and road suspension setting

Engine while certainly not as busy at traffic speed it felt a lot less nippy at real world traffic dodging in the lower gears than mine it was like mine was in rain mode and you had to twist the throttle more out of the 2020 even in dynamic to make similar progress and even then it just didn't have the zip.
But the suspension was a lot more compliant over bad surfaces and that was a plus point in my books. I always said there should be 3 levels of setting's. Soft, road, sport as the old GS had.
So it looks like they have broadened the range there. Sometimes to soft on undulating dual carriageways it pogoed a bit but in general I think it an upgrade for real world.
From memory I think 70mph was at 4500 rpm while mine sits at 5000rpm so that's probably why it seems slower compared to what I'm used to just darting about in town.

Quick shifter was marginally better at slower speeds but that's just being lazy and playing properly with mine on the way home after I could get it to perform almost as good, high speed no difference. Screen was fine and i liked onboard adjustment that was an improvement, keyless ignition I liked, all in all subtle changes all round some good some just because it has to look like they have done something.

Am I going to change, its a big no. My 2018 still seems like a GS on steroids the 2020 feels like it's slipping into a Honda VFR mode, nothing makes it stick out anymore.

Also not enough to warrant 17.5k as my old specifications and only 2 side cases to boot.
I'm staying with mine another year at least as I do love it, but I think BMW have softened the 2020 to much for my liking.
If you have the 2018/19 try before you buy, you may be disappointed if you don't.
If your coming in from scratch then it's a worthy contender but at this price bracket there's a lot of competition and because some BM riders have to have the latest and greatest there will be a glut of low mileage top spec 2018/19 bikes to shift .

Don't shoot me, all the above just my opinion. Get a test ride is my biggest shout !!!

Dave

New XR

I think BMW have softened the 2020 to much for my liking.

Pretty much agree with what you say and that one quote summed it up perfectly. Its exactly how I felt after a 3hr test ride & I really wanted to like it.

Pretty much agree with what you say and that one quote summed it up perfectly. Its exactly how I felt after a 3hr test ride & I really wanted to like it.

It would seem that BMW can’t win then, as many people (me included) wanted a bit more low down torque and more supple suspension. :blast

I haven't ridden one but the new XR sound as if it's a great bike to me. The only thing that really puts me off is the naff colour schemes which seem to be a BMW speciality.

It would seem that BMW can’t win then, as many people (me included) wanted a bit more low down torque and more supple suspension. :blast

Can’t do right for doing wrong :blast

BMW address criticisms and then get criticised for sorting them :confused:

Back
Top Bottom