Centre Stand Assistant

Reference my last, the same device could be used under your side stand when on soft ground, no need to extend foot plate on side stand. Oh! And, if you designed it cleverly, it could also be used with a (Optional) lock for helmet or disk lock, maybe clutch lever lock? If the buyer wanted to pay a premium, he could have a stainless steel ball on it, allowing it to be fixed easy to the bike for external storage onto a female receptor for the ball. Stop it! Your like little boys. I am thinking of a ram mount. There you go again, come on, we're not 12 ;). My mind is running wild with ideas about this device. I want one, please.

If the OP's Invention is anything other than what I am thinking it should be (remember, I haven't tested it yet and, my idea may not work) then "I'm out" :) :thumby:

Reference my last, the same device could be used under your side stand when on soft ground, no need to extend foot plate on side stand. Oh! And, if you designed it cleverly, it could also be used with a (Optional) lock for helmet or disk lock, maybe clutch lever lock? If the buyer wanted to pay a premium, he could have a stainless steel ball on it, allowing it to be fixed easy to the bike for external storage onto a female receptor for the ball. Stop it! Your like little boys. My mind is running wild with ideas about this device. I want one, please.

If the OP's Invention is anything other than what I am thinking it should be (remember, I haven't tested it yet and, my idea may not work) then "I'm out" :) :thumby:

I still reckon it’s a scaffold pole! :D

I am quite sure that if I rode my back wheel up a wedge so as to raise the bike's height by a couple of inches, I could then put the center stand down easier. Then, because the bike has been rolled backwards, off the wedge, I can then pick it up with the coiled wire attached to it and drop it back in the top box. Simple, stupid but, I've never tried it so, it may not work :blast.

If you ride up the wedge while on the bike you've increased saddle height and getting off the bike could provide much entertainment to onlookers, especially if it's a GS. If you're rolling it up the wedge while standing beside the bike your back must be pretty good, plus keeping it at top of wedge while moving right hand to lifting handle at side of a bike might be tricky if that right hand was pulling the brake lever to keep it on top of the wedge.

I still reckon it’s a scaffold pole! :D

You could have a strong curtain pole then it could be used for defence too

If you ride up the wedge while on the bike you've increased saddle height and getting off the bike could provide much entertainment to onlookers, especially if it's a GS. If you're rolling it up the wedge while standing beside the bike your back must be pretty good, plus keeping it at top of wedge while moving right hand to lifting handle at side of a bike might be tricky if that right hand was pulling the brake lever to keep it on top of the wedge.

Cowboy dismount Mr Nutty

It's strange how so much is invested into the design of a new motorcycle but, so often the center stand is overlooked. I know that BMW like the stand to be able to support the bike while removing either wheel, but most of the time it will be used for parking, frequently, so it needs to be easy, and have no danger.

A lot of manufacturers don't even bother fitting a center stands anymore and let you buy one, if you can afford it. Sometimes I wonder if we are evolving.

I struggled with my R1200GS until I got a nippy norman lifting handle. Then it was a piece of cake :nenau

I got a centre stand for the XT660Z, and I struggle like mad to get it up, to the point I actually dropped the bike :censor:

My Brother however pops it up and down no bother, so it's no technique and having less meat on me than on a butchers pencil...

Some professional advice...

The first problem with Intellectual Property Rights legislation is that nobody enforces it. If someone copies your product you have the expense of taking them to court for damages. If they are in another country you can imagine how expensive this would be. The authorities in either country would not be interested in helping you with your case. In terms of whether you would win your case, there's plenty of precedents that the party with the most expensive lawyers wins. BMW took a Chinese car company to court in China for blatantly copying an X5. They lost.

The second problem is there are many schemes and companies who will want to sell you some protection. The problem with your copyright time-stamped certificate is that, if it is part of the IP legislative framework, and I'm not sure it is, it might stop someone copying it. However they just have to change a few details and they won't be copying it. Where did you get the certificate from?

Three-dimensional products are covered by Patents if they are inventions, or Registered Design if they are simply certain designs of something generic, like a table lamp. There's a UK organisation called ACID, Anti-Copying in Design, that will organise the collation of your design materials and add them to their database. They'll also advise on IPR legalities. Displaying the ACID logo on your product might put people off from copying it, but if it doesn't you're still left with the legal process of taking them to court at your own expense. There's also something called a Design Right but it only covers the shape and configuration of something, so is easy to get around.

Thirdly, as you have invented something it's really the Patent system that is the only one that would offer you protection. Contrary to a previous post, your invention is protected from the moment you apply for a patent. Applying for a patent is free in the first instance, if you do it yourself. The yearly costs ramp up the longer you keep it in force, as the authorities assume that you start making money from it. The application requires a certain amount of writing and drawing skill to encapsulate the invention. There are many, many companies who will offer to handle the application for you for £2-3,000 probably. However, if you sell a £200 product and make £100 off each one and sell 30 in the first year that's all your profit gone. That's about the same time the copies will hit the market too!

Everything you need to know about IPR is here...
https://www.gov.uk/intellectual-property-an-overview

There's a chapter on IPR for designers in this book...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Design-Students-Handbook-Essential-Context/dp/1408220288

Finally, I wouldn't bother with IPR protection. Save all that time and money. Get it to market quick. Blitz all the owners club forums and sell a pile of them before the cheap copies start coming out and before UKGSers with a welder start making their own.

Steve.

This is not professional advice. It is wrong in a number of respects. Also there is no such thing as a copyright time-stamped certificate recognised in English law as an official document.

I suggest you might call a local firm of patent attorneys for advice - you can usually get 30 mins for free.

yes please, when you have details.
1200 GS
Sean

I struggled with my R1200GS until I got a nippy norman lifting handle. Then it was a piece of cake :nenau

I got a centre stand for the XT660Z, and I struggle like mad to get it up, to the point I actually dropped the bike :censor:

My Brother however pops it up and down no bother, so it's no technique and having less meat on me than on a butchers pencil...
Interesting about the xt660z Tenere ,, I can ping the GSA 12 onto the centre no probs , and I can do the Tenere no problem ,however , if the Tenere has the panniers on --------- no chance at all .

I have been just under 11 stone for many years. My last big bike was a FJR 1300 I was taught that to get a heavy bike onto its centre stand I needed to concentrate on driving the centre stand into the ground with my foot rather than trying to lift the bike onto the stand.
It was only when I reached 70 and I acknowledged that age was catching up with me that I bought a smaller bike.

tom

I have been just under 11 stone for many years. My last big bike was a FJR 1300 I was taught that to get a heavy bike onto its centre stand I needed to concentrate on driving the centre stand into the ground with my foot rather than trying to lift the bike onto the stand.
It was only when I reached 70 and I acknowledged that age was catching up with me that I bought a smaller bike.

tom

Yes that method used to work for me on my 1150's buggered if it does now also the bike seems unstable as the feet on the stand don't seem far enough apart to stand on the stand without having it over balance . I do find it easier with a very thick soled pair of work boots to as you say concentrate in pushing it through the floor. 5'7'' and 12.5 stone 66 years young don't help Like you I imagine this will be my last 1250 as much as I've loved all my GS's

Hi Fagen, hope you are well. Are you any closer to letting us know how your devise works yet? I have a inquisitive mind and really interested in knowing how it works, also, lots of people are waiting to buy one. Go on, give us another clew........ Please. :thumby:

Hi Fagen, hope you are well. Are you any closer to letting us know how your devise works yet? I have a inquisitive mind and really interested in knowing how it works, also, lots of people are waiting to buy one. Go on, give us another clew........ Please. :thumby:

It works by decreasing the distance required for the bike to move backwards onto a fully deployed centre stand, that should stimulate your grey matter ;)

I have 2 engineering companies looking at building prototypes and costing a production run too, as soon as this is done I will give you all some more details...........but not all of them just yet :aidan

This better be bloody good now you’ve created such a lot of interest! Certainly I’m interested in design and CAD but I confess not the device. I think if I were to set about designing an aid for other people to get their inappropriate (for them) over weight bike onto its centre stand (and that’s a big if), I’d explore developing a simple leverage system the fulcrum of which was situated further back. Possible utilising the back wheel. Indeed your mention of utilising on any bike and reducing the backward movement when putting the stand down might suggest this might be the case.

My heaviest bikes I’ve owned have been 1150 GSA which were regularly fully loaded with hard panniers and top box. I covered nearly 100k on them. That never really presented a problem. I could even pick them up when I dropped them on off road trails up in the Alps. (I’m not great off road ;-) and average build but enjoy it) But to preempt, I sensibly downsized at age 60 to an R100 GS PD which still presents no problem. I do wonder why people insist on using machines that perhaps are not entirely suited to their age or physique.

I note a parallel thread discussing getting on the thing with the side stand down! You really do have to question current BMW design. On the other hand, there appear to be a remarkably large number of rich, middle aged men with a desire to satisfy..... something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you need help for centrestand, put suspension in max position with engine still running, and bike is easier to go up.

Have I missed the long anticipated production of this amazing device, or is Fagin heading to Dragons Den? We need a update.
Alan R

Stand Assist Update :friday

3D printed model has been produced and is with the engineering company up the road along with the CAD drawing so they can manufacture a folding metal version prototype.

Once this has been produced and a cost calculated I will hopefully be looking into a marketing strategy, it is taking ages as many businesses are still working with very reduced staff, in fact the guy who is going to be making the prototype is on holiday until next week so fingers crossed it shouldn't be too much longer ;)

Stand Assist Update

Right folks here is the latest update on the progress of the Stand Assist:

The metal prototype has been made and had a few changes made to the initial design which have made a significant difference to the ease of use and most importantly an improvement to the structural strength and integrity of the unit :D

It is now possible to deploy the unit and fold it away after use using one hand, I have just picked the prototype up this afternoon and tried it on my fully loaded GS and it works a treat, as for the cost, I should have a single unit cost by tomorrow based on an order quantity of 10, obviously the bigger the order the cheaper the price.

The pictures don't give too much away as to the final design but it weighs 1.6kgs and in its folded position measures 350mm Long x 130mm wide x 38mm high.

Once I have a final price I will post again but I am chuffed to bits with how this gadget has come to fruition

Back
Top Bottom