Drive shaft splines.

How is that a question ?
Its nonsense.
You have assumed that the shaft has seized ? And that its failed if it has ?
It doesn't matter if it has seized, or if it hasn't. Jut ride the thing.
99% of the bikes will live their lives without any issues at all.
My advise to you is "Stop reading forums"
You Cant fix something that isn't broken.

I don't know enough to comment either way, but I'll ask a question. Does the shaft slide in and out of the female portion in normal operation?

Don't worry about it. Whatever your driveshaft is doing, its doing it well. Ride it.....

These threads boil my piss. I shouldn't get involved in it. Its scaremongering. I remember for years expecting my 1150 Final drive to explode in the fast lane of the motorway in outer Mongolia. Ok, so in this case, for no reason at all, removing the shaft you discover a lack of grease and a seizure. So poxy what? If it makes you feel happy to strip and grease it ....then so be it, dont post on here telling everyone their shaft is going to explode. Its bollox.
And breathe ............

F*ck it, i'm subscribing i rekcon this puppy is going to be a 10 pager

Surely if the shaft is sliding in and out of the female section everytime the bike is ridden then it isn't still long enough to sieze in it? Or am I being too logical here, I thought that for something to sieze together it has to be left static for a long time for the rust to act and fuse the two elements together.

Like any topic, folk can read the post and decide for themselves. I don’t think anyone is scaremongering. There is a problem though, any rationale person can see that. Water finds it way into the bellows and causes corrosion and seizing of parts that are meant to move freely. That means they have failed in the task they were designed to do. I’m not suggesting for one minute that your back wheel will fall off whilst riding, but if the splines are seized the back end of the gearbox is going to be receiving loads it wasn’t designed to. Over time this will no doubt have a detrimental effect on it. A bit of preventative maintenance will stop it happening. Doesn’t need doing every week, but once a year the FD can be dropped and checked. Like you, I have owned and ridden circa 15 GSs, both chain and shaft driven. Chain drives require a bit of fettling to keep them sweet, as do shaft drives. It what Sunday afternoons are all about!

Surely if the shaft is sliding in and out of the female section everytime the bike is ridden then it isn't still long enough to sieze in it? Or am I being too logical here, I thought that for something to sieze together it has to be left static for a long time for the rust to act and fuse the two elements together.

You would think so wouldn’t you? I’ve had it happen on 4 of my GS, all post 2004 bikes, not the earlier ones. Worst was a 05 plate R1200GS I had. The bellows has perished and it took me 4 hrs with heat and other persuasive measures to drop the FD.

Like any topic, folk can read the post and decide for themselves. I don’t think anyone is scaremongering. There is a problem though, any rationale person can see that. Water finds it way into the bellows and causes corrosion and seizing of parts that are meant to move freely. That means they have failed in the task they were designed to do. I’m not suggesting for one minute that your back wheel will fall off whilst riding, but if the splines are seized the back end of the gearbox is going to be receiving loads it wasn’t designed to. Over time this will no doubt have a detrimental effect on it. A bit of preventative maintenance will stop it happening. Doesn’t need doing every week, but once a year the FD can be dropped and checked. Like you, I have owned and ridden circa 15 GSs, both chain and shaft driven. Chain drives require a bit of fettling to keep them sweet, as do shaft drives. It what Sunday afternoons are all about!

OK.
So tell me, what exactly will happen if I dont strip and grease mt shaft splines annually ?

Had the same earlier this year - wont go into it too much because there is another post with chapter and verse. However I did notice 1 thing that improved when I had separated the shaft and UJ and cleaned and greased.
Gear shifting has become smoother. That's all I can find that is better which I put down to the shaft allowing the rubber coupler in the middle of it to do its work and the rotational pressure at either end of the shaft where both UJs are is allowed to work without any compromise. I dont think the shaft moves on the spline much when riding and the swing arm sits pretty level between the gearbox output shaft and the final drive input shaft when riding. When it's on the centre stand the angle is acute and this makes the siezed drive shaft look worse than it is but let's face it you dont ride it long the centre stand.
They are a real bastard to separate when siezed though - admitted.
Is it a job you want to do? It's completely up to you if your competent and happy to have a go and spend a bit of time and buy the right lubrication for shaft and to seal the rubber boot - then do it! It cant hurt.

Only other thing I think is better but no conclusive evidence other than quick ready reckoning - i reckon i am now getting a bit better fuel economy but only time will tell.
Rik.

There's a bolt on one side of my exhaust manifold. I think it may be seized. I think, that if i undo all of the bolts on my bike, just to check to see if they have seized, and grease them . My bike will run better, in some way, probably. Then post on here, that if you dont undo a seized bolt, The bike is going to explode, well, not explode, implode, errrr well, not that either, maybe the indicator will fall off, Oh you know, something will disintegrate because of it, probably.

OK.
So tell me, what exactly will happen if I dont strip and grease mt shaft splines annually ?

Who knows?! Why would you wait to find out though??? I think its you making more out of this than those posting their experiences to be honest.

Who knows?! Why would you wait to find out though??? I think its you making more out of this than those posting their experiences to be honest.

I've been waiting for 20 years and god know how many miles:nenau
And as there are no frequent post of bikes exploding because of rusty shafts, I think all is good.
Im countering the bullshit posted on here. :thumb

Who said bikes explode? Your experiences have been good, I’m pleased for you. For others not so good. Good bikes and bad bikes, they are out there, it’s not rocket science to appreciate that. I’ve had GSs since 1996 and as I said, I’ve had a number of bikes that have suffered seized splines. They didn’t blow up, that’s ridiculous thing to say, but it caused me issues removing FDs as I said in an earlier post. My current bike has Gear Shift Assist Pro. When I first got the bike it worked really well, but gradually it started to play up. False neutrals, clunky up shifts even when I was hard on the gas. It got a point where I stopped using it as it made riding the bike awful. It was booked to go into the dealers and then C-19 came along. In the meantime I dropped the FD and found it to be bone dry (15 month old bike) and corrosion had started. The FD was difficult to remove due to the splines being stuck fast. FD oil changed and splines greased and guess what, it rides perfectly in terms of how the GSAP works. And before you say it, it’s not the placebo effect. I monitored the way the GSAP was working so I could explain the issue to fully to BMW and not give them wiggle room. So, I’m glad you have never had an issue, however it’s wrong to say that others haven’t based on your personal experiences. You probably haven’t had issues with leaking brake callipers, dodgy spokes, or TFT connectivity either, but plenty have.

ok, what then ?

That’s up to you, its not for me to tell you what you should do. If you have never had an issue then do nothing. All I’m saying is that for those that feel competent to check, why not? If nothing else you get to know your bike a bit better and a sense of achieving something perhaps. Not here to argue with you, I just can’t see how you can dismiss it as a non issue when clearly people have had/have problems.

There's a bolt on one side of my exhaust manifold. I think it may be seized. I think, that if i undo all of the bolts on my bike, just to check to see if they have seized, and grease them . My bike will run better, in some way, probably. Then post on here, that if you dont undo a seized bolt, The bike is going to explode, well, not explode, implode, errrr well, not that either, maybe the indicator will fall off, Oh you know, something will disintegrate because of it, probably.
Your exhaust manifold is designed to slide in and out is it? Must be the vario manifold version!! Your flap has probably seized downstream though so I would be having a look at that if I was you...

That’s up to you, its not for me to tell you what you should do. If you have never had an issue then do nothing. All I’m saying is that for those that feel competent to check, why not? If nothing else you get to know your bike a bit better and a sense of achieving something perhaps. Not here to argue with you, I just can’t see how you can dismiss it as a non issue when clearly people have had/have problems.

For F**l sake ... WHAT FECKIN PROBLEMS ??????????????
SHOW ME . WHERE ?

Back
Top Bottom