Ocean Motorrad Plymouth

longdog

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well I have been looking around for an S1000XR and I found a couple that I liked, one was fairly close to my home and it is a 2016 bike for £9450. I have been offered £7400 for my Super Tenere in part-ex.
The other S1000XR that I have looked at resides in Ocean Motorrad Plymouth. It is a 2017 bike and they want £10,990 for it. They offered me £7000 for my bike.

So of course I go back and ask for more for mine. They come back to me today with £7250 and then tell me that they “are raising the price of the S1000XR” but as I have already shown interest, they will “let me have it for the old price of £10,990”.

Sounds like a bargain to me!!! :augie

What specs do the bikes have, mileage etc.....for the £1700 price difference between the two deals?

After hearing from a mate that bought a bike from Ocean, I wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole.

OK, so the 2016 bike is on a 66 plate, it is the SE and has FSH and 6,300 miles on it. The 2018 bike is also an SE and is on an 18 plate with FSH and 4,400 miles on it. The spec is the same on both bikes, the 2016 bike is £9450 and the 2018 at Ocean is or should I say was £10,990 but you can go on Ocean’s site and see that today, Ocean have put the price up to £11,990 WTF!

And Mr Comet, yes, it is about mileage, age, condition and location and also about a small thing called money ££££ and I would like to get the best bang for my buck. I was quite happy to travel 200 miles or so to get the bike that I want but I won’t travel around the corner to be treated like a mug.

If ocean are increasing the price tell them to stick it up their arse. Just a thought

is the 2016 bike from a BMW dealer? The bike from Ocean will have the BMW 2 year warranty which costs nearly £400 a year if you buy yourself.

Have you explored this one? https://www.completelymotorbikes.co.uk/new-and-used/bmw/s1000-xr-sport-se/39459.htm - closer than Ocean, local to me. I bought a 2016 bike from them in 2018. It's been great, no problems except the battery a few weeks ago. James (owner's son) gave me a much better part-ex than anyone else for my Triumph Explorer

Git the cheap 'un..it's bets innit M8....:blast

One of us is missing something here, all I want is a fair deal, ie a decent part-ex price for my bike. I am happy to pay “the asking price” and happy to travel but when a dealer offers less then puts the price up by £1000, then I take my hat off to them, it’s a hell of a sales technique I’m sure even you will agree! :blast

wessie, yes, both are from BMW dealers and I know the 24 month warranty is worth it for peace of mind. Thanks for the heads-up on the bike you gave a link for, I’ll take a closer look at that as well as other bikes around the dealerships :beerjug:

I’m a bit lost here. Ocean offered you an extra £250 and the bike you wanted at the original price?

...and now it's a 2018 bike rather the 2017 you originally mentioned ???

For the cash saving and both being dealer bikes, I'd buy the 66 plate

Sorry, fat fingers at work, yes, the Ocean bike is 2018 on an 18 plate.

Polecat, yes, they wanted £10990, offered me £7000, increased to £7250 against the bike at £10990 but today they increased the price to £11990

Sounds like Ocean priced it too low and have now realised their mistake. But if they're willing to honour the orginal price and take the hit, and give you a better deal on the Yamaha, I really can't see why you're not happy with them. For me, that's the honesty I'd look for from a main dealer.

After hearing from a mate that bought a bike from Ocean, I wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole.

I’ve phoned three times to ask for a video walk-around and list of specs for a bike I’m interested in. Nothing from them, so I’ve given up. Rybrook in Wolverhampton sent me a video/spec within two hours.

All about the cost to change

Dont get overly bogged down in how much for theirs and how much for yours etc as every penny they give in PX above its true worth comes out of the profit in theire for sale bike and dont forget the on costs that they have.

It is about value so weigh up carefully as to if the extra wonga gets you a better bike if it does spend it if not dont ( assuming that you can afford either)

I’ve phoned three times to ask for a video walk-around and list of specs for a bike I’m interested in. Nothing from them, so I’ve given up. Rybrook in Wolverhampton sent me a video/spec within two hours.

One of there sales guy's was (is) still on furlough, when i asked for a video walkround, i had it within 24hrs

They’ve never returned any of my calls or enquiries in the last 6 months (ocean)

So nothing between the bikes other than age and miles. £2000 to upgrade to the 2016 and £3700ish to upgrade to the 2018. Comes down to how much you wanna spend surely? Cant see why you wouldnt go for the 16, lower average miles, cheaper, less depreciation and its nearer. 2016 all day long for me. Tell Ocean where they can stick they’re slimey tactics too. Oh and play the first dealer off against Ocean, ask them to sweaten their deal and you’ll buy from them. Nothing to lose if they say no.

FWIW I was in Ocean just before lockdown and then again this week to test ride a GS

Before lockdown they had about 50 used bikes in stock. The rep took me into the used bike area this week and I would say there was 15ish bikes.
They have been extremely busy since the easing and struggling for stock. This has probably prompted the price hike?
Just guessing but could be one of the reasons

Back
Top Bottom