Balkan Borders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onahi

The Equalizer
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Crossing in and out of the Balkan borders, I read somewhere that one country wont allow you to cross?
Is it pretty much open throughout ? Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Kosobo and B&H

I read this on the internet this morning. It’s dated from 2019. It’s on the internet, so it must be true.

Crossing from Serbia to Kosovo

When traveling through the Balkans, there is really only one holy rule to follow: if you want to visit Serbia and Kosovo, start with Serbia.

Serbia hasn't recognized Kosovo's 2008 declaration of independence. It still sees Kosovo as one of its provinces. Therefore, it doesn't recognize a Kosovo visa.

Crossing from Kosovo to Serbia

If you are traveling from Kosovo to Serbia, you must get a Serbian visa beforehand. If you try to cross the checkpoint with only a Kosovo visa, you'll be deemed to have entered the country illegally.

If you want go into Kosovo and back to Serbia, be aware that your Serbian visa (or entry stamp, usually valid for 90 days) will still be counting on your trip to Kosovo. If you stay past the deadline, you could be charged with overstaying your visa.

But many travelers have reported crossing with minimal hassle. Serbian guards, they say, might simply cross out the Kosovo visa and stick a Serbian one on top.

Others have simply been turned away. Save yourself the risk. If you must go from Kosovo to Serbia, go through Macedonia.

Crossing from Albania to Kosovo

All other borders are open, with new roads being built regularly between formerly belligerent nations. For instance, there's a nice new highway between Albania and Kosovo, replacing a harrowing, 10-hour mountain ride.

Crossing from Kosovo to Macedonia

The border crossing between Rastelica in Kosovo and Strezimir in Macedonia is officially for locals only. It's only open from May through September due to weather.

Crossing from Croatia to Montenegro

Summer traffic between both nations can be hectic, and you might have to wait hours to cross. Consider going through Bosnia-Herzegovina instead. There's a catch: you might have to pay 20 Euro for a Green Card for Bosnia.

Crossing from Albania to Macedonia

Most border crossings are only open until 10pm.

I knew there was some confusion as to what borders. Be interesting.
Thanks for posting that info.

Slovenia to Croatia, just showed passports.
Croatia to Bosnia, passports and 'passport for moto', which I correctly assumed was the v5. Didn't get asked to show insurance, which was handy....
The bit of Bosnia between the two bits of Croatia next to the sea, been waved straight through, and another time stopped to show passport and v5.
Croatia to Montenegro, Passport, v5 and proof of insurance. Got away with a 10euro bribe for not having insurance.
Montenegro back to Croatia, passport and v5. The border crossing nearest the coast can have a tailback a few miles long in either direction, no one seems to mind bikes riding straight to the front.
Hungary to Serbia, just Passports.
Serbia to Montenegro, just passports.

I think it depends on the kind of day the border guard is having, we've maybe been lucky.

Slovenia to Croatia, just showed passports.
Croatia to Bosnia, passports and 'passport for moto', which I correctly assumed was the v5. Didn't get asked to show insurance, which was handy....
The bit of Bosnia between the two bits of Croatia next to the sea, been waved straight through, and another time stopped to show passport and v5.
Croatia to Montenegro, Passport, v5 and proof of insurance. Got away with a 10euro bribe for not having insurance.
Montenegro back to Croatia, passport and v5. The border crossing nearest the coast can have a tailback a few miles long in either direction, no one seems to mind bikes riding straight to the front.
Hungary to Serbia, just Passports.
Serbia to Montenegro, just passports.

I think it depends on the kind of day the border guard is having, we've maybe been lucky.

Thanks for that Justin, Just what I wanted, The ride through experience. When was this you went ?
I have in addition
to my driving licence the two International (IDP) driving permits. This along with my insurance that does show all the Balkan countries should be enough. Ive heard serval stories of getting your ass slapped at the borders for insurance you dont need.
Whatever happens, It will be all part of the adventure !!!
Cheers

My limited experience of border blagging has proved that if at first you don’t succeed try again a few miles further down the border.

I also classify the Balkans as being as dodgy as the Baltic States so print copies of applicable fines for a variety of offences since having my pants pulled down by dodgy traffic police in Latvia who persuaded me I was facing a mandatory 12 week ban unless I paid them a substantial back hander :blast

My limited experience of border blagging has proved that if at first you don’t succeed try again a few miles further down the border.

I also classify the Balkans as being as dodgy as the Baltic States so print copies of applicable fines for a variety of offences since having my pants pulled down by dodgy traffic police in Latvia who persuaded me I was facing a mandatory 12 week ban unless I paid them a substantial back hander :blast

I was told I would get a similar treatment from the Serbian Police. I rode from Istanbul to Croatia as quick as poss. But I must have been lucky as I didn't see any police at all.

I was told I would get a similar treatment from the Serbian Police. I rode from Istanbul to Croatia as quick as poss. But I must have been lucky as I didn't see any police at all.

It’s the ones you don’t see until it’s too late that do the most harm to your wallet.

As per Wapping's post, Serbia to Kosovo is OK, and if you do that, you can exit via Serbia as long as you've been there less than 3 months - there's not really a border, as Serbia still regards Kosovo as part of Serbia. There's some complicated stuff that applies to nations that issue ID cards but as we have passports it doesn't apply anyway

Albania, Montenegro, Macedonia to Kosovo, is also OK, but then you will probably get a Kosovo stamp which may cause a problem if you later want to enter Serbia, and you won't (probably) be able to then enter Serbia from Kosovo (however, we did enter Serbia with Kosovo stamps from a previous trip and had no problems). Green card insurance for Kosovo is available at the Albanian border crossing nearest Kukes. It's fine to enter Kosovo from Albania, for example and then return to Albania - probably you can also exit from Montenegro or Macedonia but we didn't try that.

We've found that green cards are requested at most Balkan border crossings, and there are at least some Bosnian crossings where it's not available.

Thanks for that Justin, Just what I wanted, The ride through experience. When was this you went ?
I have in addition
to my driving licence the two International (IDP) driving permits. This along with my insurance that does show all the Balkan countries should be enough. Ive heard serval stories of getting your ass slapped at the borders for insurance you dont need.
Whatever happens, It will be all part of the adventure !!!
Cheers
Last time was 2 years ago, then 5 years before that. (And 20 years before that, but not on a bike).
Just make it up as you go along, like Andy says, you can always try a different crossing if someone is being a twat.

Balkans

I am sure you would all be very upset if a johnny foreigner was driving around the uk uninsured.

So why not get legal correct insurance in other countries.

People on here love boasting about their wealth and how much they spend on this tat and that tat.

They have a problem with 20 Euro for insurance. They will be insured if they hit a child on their mighty road presenced steeds festooned with lights and crash bars, boxes, touch screens, super expensive silencers. sos buttons, sleeping bags costing 300 gbp . expeds costing 140 gbp helmets 700gbp. it just goes on and on. yet wont pay aprox 20 euro for insurance !

well next time you adventure ride out here to the wild indian lands, which are open with no restrictions. Noting that in Serbia less than 200 corona deaths. Just buy insurance its easy, cheap and takes 10 minutes.

I am sure you would all be very upset if a johnny foreigner was driving around the uk uninsured.

So why not get legal correct insurance in other countries.

People on here love boasting about their wealth and how much they spend on this tat and that tat..

WTF
Who's not insured ?

its all poo makes a good point about deliberately dodging buying insurance. There is lots on this site about uninsured Eastern Europeans driving about (though how the casual observer is meant to know, I do wonder. Maybe they have telepathic powers?) but some Brits - at least in this thread - seem keen to avoid buying it when across there.

Didn't get asked to show insurance, which was handy....

Perhaps they hope they can buy-off the family of the schoolgirl they hit for EUR 20, it being double the going rate of a policeman?

A lot is made on these pages about Eastern Europeans all being thieves and spongers on the UK. Maybe we should set the best example to them?

Who are you aiming these claims at ?

Stop taking the high ground you pathetic twat

God who do you think you are ?
Ride safe ;-)

Its seems impossible to post anything on here without it turning into negative dig at someone, In this case a genuine question about the Balkan borders, then ends up the same old jumping in and accusing people of avoiding insurance and killing kids.
Shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom