Knott End.

I doubt it very much, the people that seem to inhabit Great Eccleston probably wouldn't survive the flight !
It's a sleepy little place that gets woken up once a year with the 'Tractor Pull' and also happens to have an excellent chippie in it's village square. On the subject of good chippies.. the Big Chip Cafe/Arnside Chip Shop is almost on a par for quality..
It could be well worth a visit on Sunday 18:10:20 to Arnside as there is a 'predicted' high tide of 10.39 metres on that particular day, you could even see the world famous 'Arnside Bore' where the canoe guys surf in on the Bore. It's an unpredictable beast and often variables like the flow of the River Kent, wind direction etc can make it a flop or spectacular. No wonder the 20 odd poor illegal Chinese cockle pickers got
drowned in 2004.
The best place to view it is from the small concrete pier between the Albion pub and the Ye Olde Fighting Cocks pub in Arnside.
Approximately 15 mins before the Bore arrives the coast guard station for that part of Morecambe Bay sounds the warning klaxons and the coast guard jet ski's may be deployed to protect the body boarders and canoe boys. If it's good weather and a big tide it gets packed so better to arrive about 9 am. Plenty on U- tube about it if you search Arnside Bore.
The Bore is usually 2 -2.5 hours before highwater at Arnside. There is a free tide prediction table for 7 days in advance on line. The biggest tides are normally around the spring an autumn equinoxes.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Stu and I will investigate and report back :D I wonder if anyone from Gt Eccleston has travelled to Christchurch NZ for a roast lamb or Hangi dinner?

I went to the Brit-run chippy in Whitianga and had the best Fish & Chips I’ve ever had, to this day... The fish was fresh John Dory and it was the tastiest, fluffiest white fish. I’m bloody hungry now :thumb2

Bet they didn't do deep fried Mars Bar :D

A chippy I used to frequent in Liverpool many years ago used to do deep fried strawberry jam butties, trouble was after several beers you'd forget that the jam would be feckin hot and burn your mouth.

Brunch at Knott End cafe today. My CB500x was at Blackpool Honda for it's 12 month service. They let me borrow a Honda NC750s, (the one with the clutch) so I went for a late brekky. AS you may see from the photo I like my bacon and sausage well done. A decent scoff with a nice view of Morecambe bay
The bike was OK, it had a nice exhaust tone, was comfortable, and had a fair bit of low end torque. It seemed to run out of steam about 80mph, but it was a pleasant ride, but there was a lot of wind noise coming from the front of the bike. It was quite economical averaging around 65 mpg. I was impressed with the storage space in the false petrol tank. I don't think I'd swap either of bikes my for one though.

Attachments

• Knott end cafe brunch.jpg
    Knott end cafe brunch.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 122
Hi Al. Nice to see the cafe open. Is that the one by the jetty or another in Knott End.

Your Brunch making me hungry so might have a run up there next week sometime.

Was your partner in crime with you yesterday ? Can't see any teeth marks in your sausage :D:D

Stu cried off, he went shopping with Mrs Brut33. It was the cafe by the jetty for the passenger ferry to Fleetwood. No teeth marks, I thought it best to picture it intact before the ensuing mayhem of my feeding frenzy :D

the Big Chip Cafe/Arnside Chip Shop is almost on a par for quality..
It could be well worth a visit on Sunday 18:10:20 to Arnside as there is a 'predicted' high tide of 10.39 metres on that particular day, you could even see the world famous 'Arnside Bore' where the canoe guys surf in on the Bore. It's an unpredictable beast and often variables like the flow of the River Kent, wind direction etc can make it a flop or spectacular.

Back in the 90s the second highest tide of the century was predicted. About a dozen of us took a day off work to surf the anticipated bore. We could see it as it arrived by Grange over Sands, 2 guys already on it, never seen canoes move that fast. It swept across the bay, hit a sandbank and was 2 inches high by the time it reached us.
Bastard, bastard bastard.

Ps The chippy at Greenodd does fantastic haddock!

Ps The chippy at Greenodd does fantastic haddock!

It will be placed on the map and will in time receive an inspection from the UKGSer 'Chippy Squad' when the plague permits.

I didn't get a body like this by eating ice cream sundaes I'll have you know. My body is a temple, although I'm told it's more like a nightclub :D

I doubt it very much, the people that seem to inhabit Great Eccleston probably wouldn't survive the flight !
It's a sleepy little place that gets woken up once a year with the 'Tractor Pull' and also happens to have an excellent chippie in it's village square. On the subject of good chippies.. the Big Chip Cafe/Arnside Chip Shop is almost on a par for quality..
It could be well worth a visit on Sunday 18:10:20 to Arnside as there is a 'predicted' high tide of 10.39 metres on that particular day, you could even see the world famous 'Arnside Bore' where the canoe guys surf in on the Bore. It's an unpredictable beast and often variables like the flow of the River Kent, wind direction etc can make it a flop or spectacular. No wonder the 20 odd poor illegal Chinese cockle pickers got
drowned in 2004.
The best place to view it is from the small concrete pier between the Albion pub and the Ye Olde Fighting Cocks pub in Arnside.
Approximately 15 mins before the Bore arrives the coast guard station for that part of Morecambe Bay sounds the warning klaxons and the coast guard jet ski's may be deployed to protect the body boarders and canoe boys. If it's good weather and a big tide it gets packed so better to arrive about 9 am. Plenty on U- tube about it if you search Arnside Bore.
The Bore is usually 2 -2.5 hours before highwater at Arnside. There is a free tide prediction table for 7 days in advance on line. The biggest tides are normally around the spring an autumn equinoxes.

I may sneak up there on Sunday to surf the bore.:D

This is the the tide table and weather prediction for Arnside on Sunday 18th October. The Bore is approx 2 - 2.5 hrs before high water due at 13:55 pm @ 10.55
metres deep. Not the highest of tides.. (they are approaching 10.7 metres).
Could be a 'good one' so may be packed from 11.00am onwards on the pier especially as weather will be reasonable.
Don't park on the grass near the railway track it can flood. They've fitted water tight gates now to stop flooding so may well be shut and locked. Best get there early on and parked high up near Fighting Cock Inn. Then again may be a flop, it does what it wants .
33f54cbff0f563946e60f8a2d269c60f.jpg
209f88a62dc13e53f3fb02b45b898b0b.jpg
86514fea79655d6b7f8e9c923fb0037c.jpg
043b24af9401abcd6864a58160b2dc34.jpg

This is the the tide table and weather prediction for Arnside on Sunday 18th October. The Bore is approx 2 - 2.5 hrs before high water due at 13:55 pm @ 10.55
metres deep. Not the highest of tides.. (they are approaching 10.7 metres).
Could be a 'good one' so may be packed from 11.00am onwards on the pier especially as weather will be reasonable.
Don't park on the grass near the railway track it can flood. They've fitted water tight gates now to stop flooding so may well be shut and locked. Best get there early on and parked high up near Fighting Cock Inn. Then again may be a flop, it does what it wants .
33f54cbff0f563946e60f8a2d269c60f.jpg
209f88a62dc13e53f3fb02b45b898b0b.jpg
86514fea79655d6b7f8e9c923fb0037c.jpg
043b24af9401abcd6864a58160b2dc34.jpg

Thanks for the info, will be there weather permitting.:thumb2

You were very impressive last year

Ah yes, that would be when I caught the wave at Morecambe and ended up at Milnthorpe.:D

I saw the tidal bore at Arnside a couple of years ago quite by chance. It really was an unimpressive sight. We were sat in the pub garden and saw a big long deliberate ripple in the water. A few people looked up and went back to their beer. I watched in awe for a few moments then glancing up every now and again afterwards to observe its stately progress. However I’m glad I saw it though - one of natures little gems.

Maybe it’s bigger and better on big tides.

Oh if you want something different to try The Shore Cafe in Hest Bank. Buttery Morecambe Bay shrimps on a Crumpet with salad and a few chips. Fan-bloody-tastic. (you could leave the salad if you are on a diet).

The Shore Cafe
The Shore, Hest Bank, Lancaster LA2 6HN
https://goo.gl/maps/reAji8DrdjouDxT77

Will put it on the list. Is the salad in batter? Stu is very particular about his batter :D

Well !!!!!! What was it like ??

Was it a repeat of HAWAII FIVE-O :bow:bow

I just checked tide heights and whilst 10.5 at Arnside only 9.9 at Ulverston so I bet he didn't think it was work doing. Really should be at least 10.9 at Arnside to make it worthwhile :aidan

Back
Top Bottom