Oberon Slave

Deleted account 211025001

Reaction score
Idle curiosity really (although I may well get one)............

If you fitted one did you find an improvement in clutch action and any pitfalls/tips to fitting?

Cheers :beerjug:

Andres

Idle curiosity really (although I may well get one)............

If you fitted one did you find an improvement in clutch action and any pitfalls/tips to fitting?

Cheers :beerjug:

Andres

No idea as dealer fitted one from new to my 701LR.
But I hear they are much better.I use the quickshifter all the time anyway but fitted it as 690/701s prone to failure of OE ring sometimes from day 1 !!

I do believe that the KTM slave ( can we say slave) is piss poor

My mate went through 3 in as many months, all changed under warranty but his last he paid a few extra quid and went Oberon and has had no problems since in 30K miles

No idea as dealer fitted one from new to my 701LR.
But I hear they are much better.I use the quickshifter all the time anyway but fitted it as 690/701s prone to failure of OE ring sometimes from day 1 !!

I do believe that the KTM slave ( can we say slave) is piss poor

My mate went through 3 in as many months, all changed under warranty but his last he paid a few extra quid and went Oberon and has had no problems since in 30K miles

Yeah, it's a well documented fault and why KTM (Husky) haven't addressed it god only knows.........

I'm thinking of fitting one (lockdown boredom!) just idle wonderings on how they compare on performance and any fitting pitfalls/tips :thumb2

Andres

It’s one of those things I keep meaning to buy for my 501 but I’ve probably got the rest of the year to worry about that the way things are going with European travel :(

The colonials on the ADV forum seem to have it in their heads that the problem has been solved on the MY20 bikes but I’m far from convinced.

fitted one to both my 1290 sas and 1290gt, fitted them as i had heard about the suspect quality of the oem, cant say i noticed much diffrence once fitted, look nice though ( got mine in orange) and easy to fit

fitted one to both my 1290 sas and 1290gt, fitted them as i had heard about the suspect quality of the oem, cant say i noticed much diffrence once fitted, look nice though ( got mine in orange) and easy to fit

'Easy' is the important bit ;) Thank you :)

Andres

most difficult bit was bleeding it up on the adventure due to the patheticly small amount of fliud in the resovoir

It’s one of those things I keep meaning to buy for my 501 but I’ve probably got the rest of the year to worry about that the way things are going with European travel :(

The colonials on the ADV forum seem to have it in their heads that the problem has been solved on the MY20 bikes but I’m far from convinced.

Don’t trust it !!! People on Facebook 701 group having failures under 200 miles from new.
One was 300 meters from dealer after collection. First time he used clutch after stopping at a junction !!!!

Put one on my 1190, I think it was a smidge smoother.

Mine arrived from Oberon with the ball bearing missing, but gave them a call and they sent one out 1st class post.

Surprisingly easy to fit, fitting did not concern me, it was bleeding it I thought might prove a PITA but it was a doddle.

Lock down boredom may yet see one fitted to the 1290.

Ive had one on my 950, and moved it onto my 990 later on.
Annoyingly I couldn't determine it would fit my 1090, so left it on at trade-in time.

Bought another new one, and yes, the first one would've gone on to the 1090 (ho hum)

I cant claim having felt a radical improvement in function, but the Oberon ones seem indestructible,
whereas the early LC8 KTM's were plagued by faulty slaves. (willing clutch helpers, LOL)

They are indeed real easy to fit and come in a variety of endearing colours.
(Put a nice dollop of grease in the body first, and the ball bearing wont try to fall out during install.)

I've always bought the matching alloy spacer to accompany mine, but the promotional literature claiming enhanced heat insulation
seems at odds with the o/e plastic ones which to my mind would conduct heat less than the oberon alloy ones

Got one on my 1190. Fitted because I stripped the original to clean it (don't ask :rolleyes: ) and cocked the piston reassembling, and then didn't trust the seal thereafter. Easy to fit, slightly less easy to bleed. Possibly very, very slightly smoother action than OEM. Same pressure required AFAICT.

Put another one on my 701, because as Arsey points out, they have a particularly dismal reputation for failure on those bikes. The old one was still working when I removed it, but the seal was torn already at under 1K miles. Different seal to the 1190 though. A cheap O ring is said to be a much cheaper alternative.

Oi Andres you utter B'stard! :rob

I've just spent a feckin fortune at Rally Raid on rubber sub-mount kit and Scotts steering damper for the 690 and now you've gone and put this on my "must have bling" list :D

My 690 has a quick shifter so I only really use the clutch for the more gnarly bits. It is a bit heavier in action than I would like and sadly I can't get a Clake Onelight to work (like I hav on the 350) due to the electronic switch on the lever. I was wondering if the Oberon would lighten the action up a bit, but seems the difference won't be that great from what folk are saying here.

Probably won't stop me getting one though :beerjug:

Don’t trust it !!! People on Facebook 701 group having failures under 200 miles from new.
One was 300 meters from dealer after collection. First time he used clutch after stopping at a junction !!!!

I think the slave cylinder is the same on the 701 and 501 so I’ll add it to the column marked essential.

One fix for the 701 is a KTM enduro bike slave piston and seal (can't remember the model), so you might be alright.

Oi Andres you utter B'stard! :rob

I've just spent a feckin fortune at Rally Raid on rubber sub-mount kit and Scotts steering damper for the 690 and now you've gone and put this on my "must have bling" list :D

My 690 has a quick shifter so I only really use the clutch for the more gnarly bits. It is a bit heavier in action than I would like and sadly I can't get a Clake Onelight to work (like I hav on the 350) due to the electronic switch on the lever. I was wondering if the Oberon would lighten the action up a bit, but seems the difference won't be that great from what folk are saying here.

Probably won't stop me getting one though :beerjug:

Oberon clutch slave can't make your clutch feel lighter but a Midwest Mountain Engineering clutch lever definately will.

Oberon clutch slave can't make your clutch feel lighter but a Midwest Mountain Engineering clutch lever definately will.

Thanks Tim, sage advice as always! :beerjug:

According to their website they do one for the newer 690 so I'll get one ordered.

Thanks Tim, sage advice as always! :beerjug:

According to their website they do one for the newer 690 so I'll get one ordered.

Great levers Toddy, make sure the engine is hot when you adjust it. Its all in the instructions :)

Back
Top Bottom