How do you adjust Ohlins ?

Bryn

Mod Squad
Reaction score
The new to me Bonneville has Ohlins twin shocks that seem a bit hard, so I’ve tried to undo what I assume is the locking ring with a c spanner and the whole assembly spins including the spring...and using two C spanner’s and whacking one with a mallet still does nothing...and both rings are lined up with each other exactly:confused

I can spin the springs and rings by hand and they just go round and round...

Any ideas appreciated :thumb

I think I’ve got the answer.. the locking rings go in the opposite directions, so I was trying to tighten them... And it seems that they’re already at the softer setting so I’ll probably have to put up with it

There may be a snap ring under the top collar which can be moved into higher grooves to lessen the preload. Access by compressing the spring first.
That's my guess.

There may be a snap ring under the top collar which can be moved into higher grooves to lessen the preload. Access by compressing the spring first.
That's my guess.

I was thinking between the two nuts.

The Diaval I had a couple of weeks ago had a dial to adjust. Not that it made any difference. :blast

The Thruxton R has a similar mechanism maybe this video will help

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZVRvwa5Upo

From 6.00 mins in

That mechanism seems the same as mine. :thumb , and it looks like the collars work the opposite way to how you’d expect ...the opposite of righty tightly lefty loosely :rolleyes:

My issue is that the suspension feels a bit hard, but looking at the video the soft setting is where mine are at the moment, so I think I’ll just have to live with it

Tim, a snap ring sounds plausible but you’d think there would be a simpler way of adjusting what are supposed to be premium shocks

That mechanism seems the same as mine. :thumb , and it looks like the collars work the opposite way to how you’d expect ...the opposite of righty tightly lefty loosely :rolleyes:

My issue is that the suspension feels a bit hard, but looking at the video the soft setting is where mine are at the moment, so I think I’ll just have to live with it

Tim, a snap ring sounds plausible but you’d think there would be a simpler way of adjusting what are supposed to be premium shocks

Or fit the correct springs for your needs.

The pre-load setting does not change the ‘hardness’ , it can’t because the ‘spring rate’ remains the same whatever the setting. As Timolgra says you probably need different springs if your weight is much different to average.

Can the compression and rebound damping be adjusted on your bike?

The pre-load setting does not change the ‘hardness’ , it can’t because the ‘spring rate’ remains the same whatever the setting. As Timolgra says you probably need different springs if your weight is much different to average.

Can the compression and rebound damping be adjusted on your bike?

I doubt it, they will just be an ohlins sticker ones

Budget range

Looks like they are......as far as average weight.....160lb is probably way below average on here :augie

There is your answer

Bike manufacturers spring their bikes to an average rider and I do believe that they work on 90KG with all kit on which is in fairness probably a bit out of kilter with the average tosser

Back
Top Bottom