Tried a Goldwing today

Yes them GS footpegs hurt you when a GTL1600 is pushing your leg into it FFS! I was concerned that the DCT is bumpy in slow moving and how about real tight hairpins etc i guess you adapt to back brake and throttle control? Also the suspension ids it good as i love mine on GS
So sorry to hear about your mishap. Hope you recover soon!

To answer your query, my 3.5 hour ride on backroads and A roads and city traffic has converted me to DCT- at least the Goldwing bagger version.

It did everything I wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes them GS footpegs hurt you when a GTL1600 is pushing your leg into it FFS! I was concerned that the DCT is bumpy in slow moving and how about real tight hairpins etc i guess you adapt to back brake and throttle control? Also the suspension ids it good as i love mine on GS

That leg looks a little sore, hope you recover quickly

As for DCT, I had the early version on a Crosstourer and it was already excellent, the newer versions are certainly much better

The shaft was a tad clunky but I had no problems with throttle control for slow stuff, you can still effectively feather the clutch with a light throttle

It was fine in hairpins and actually a lot less work than a manual for a couple of hours in mountain passes, no fear of stalling either in those nasty uphill inside line hairpins

Looks like the wallet maybe twitching....

So sorry to hear about your mishap. Hope you recover soon!

To answer your query, my 3.5 hour ride on backroads and A roads and city traffic has converted me to DCT- at least the Goldwing bagger version.

It did everything I wanted.

Fear not !!!!!! The DCT box is very good. I've now done 1000 miles on my tour (in a week) and find the box is great, just leave to do its thing. One less thing to worry about when riding. As for it being a problem at low speeds, i have not found this to be the case. However, I'm not sure if the bagger has the DCT box.

Derek
A few photos for you to ogle as you are stuck recovering (there’s also some good YouTube videos about the new Goldwing)
da9c38d183dd9e9a0138f352bf1e2f35.jpg

6b8ba48f4256221969be8fccf37ef01e.jpg

815051f63684f7e33eb256d8e3d1e4c5.jpg

ddfcb64688ec28e04d34f28748c23837.jpg

Having been scuppered rear end by a pal riding behind me! Aug 1st and suffering a lower leg injury where my 1250 gs rallye peg went inside my leg not very nice i can tell you. 2 ops later im recovering and looking at maybe i would be better off with DCT style bagger style bike and change my riding style. Although I was stationary at a junction its been a real brain thinker this off.I dont ride with pillion anymore so maybe a bagger style would work, or maybe a lighter bike as leg can work with who the fook knows im just pissed off. having had 11 gl1800 and then 9 GSA and GS 1200 1250 im thinking of changing as my left leg will be weak and my ankle .Just looking for opinions on the DTC before i roll out £24k lol My bike was unmarked just one scratch on the pannier rails.

Fuckinell Big D :eek: that's shocking; did M hurt himself or did you cop for the lot? . How long have they given for the recovery?

I think HD prices are going to fall, they are not sustainable....It will no longer be a premium product next year, I really do feel it will be seen for what it is, the technology revolution will finally catch up with it and they shall be seen for the dinosaur that they are.
Don`t get me wrong, I love them, but I am in the minority as most of us are.

Whilst it was an interesting read, if felt the OP is trying to compare apples with oranges. The RKS is a retro stripped down tourer/cruiser whereas the Goldwing is a state of the art tourer.
A fairer test would be the Goldwing v's the H-D Electraglide Ultra Ltd. (you can get helmets in the top box on one of those!) They also are equipped with audio, satnav and the new Harley "Reflex Defensive Rider System".
(Big Derek, I wish you a speedy recovery :thumb)

edit: sorry not the OP, I meant Mr. Dippenhall

Hi Big Si: yes that’s a fair comment. I had been (and still am) havering between the Harley charm (I rode an ultra classic for many years and toured in it) and the power and smoothness of the Goldwing. Arsey’s great write up of his RKS also influenced me.

Serendipity meant I could try them on the same day, and both were a big contrast from my 350 I had been off-roading on the day before!

As you say, they are very different bikes but in fact have similar storage capacity (the bagger and the RKS).

After mulling it over, if I find £20k down the back of the sofa I think I would go for the GW because of its smoothness and the DCT . But I would still retain a hankering for a Harley of some sort because of its distinctive nature. And the RKS handles so well (for a Harley).

(In passing I should say the clutch lever on the RKS was quite heavy!).

Having been scuppered rear end by a pal riding behind me! Aug 1st and suffering a lower leg injury where my 1250 gs rallye peg went inside my leg not very nice i can tell you. 2 ops later im recovering and looking at maybe i would be better off with DCT style bagger style bike and change my riding style. Although I was stationary at a junction its been a real brain thinker this off.I dont ride with pillion anymore so maybe a bagger style would work, or maybe a lighter bike as leg can work with who the fook knows im just pissed off. having had 11 gl1800 and then 9 GSA and GS 1200 1250 im thinking of changing as my left leg will be weak and my ankle .Just looking for opinions on the DTC before i roll out £24k lol My bike was unmarked just one scratch on the pannier rails.

Shit! That looks nasty Derek, get well soon mate. Are you able to walk yet?

Fuckinell Big D :eek: that's shocking; did M hurt himself or did you cop for the lot? . How long have they given for the recovery?
Hi Ken no Marcus was ok he hit me hard took his eye off th enable thought I’d gone and was thrashing to get out of junction in front of th Etsy cars that I was awaiting from my right onto a A617 ffs! I took all his inersha etc.. recovery it’s been 3 weeks 2 op sand they say January I hope depend son if I end up,having muscle or more skin grafts. Raced bikes rode bikes all my life ‘tis I swore one so guess I’m luck they’re. Anyone wanting a fully loaded and including some special gsa big son. A beauty r1250. Rallye I’m going to let it go.

Hi Ken no Marcus was ok he hit me hard took his eye off th enable thought I’d gone and was thrashing to get out of junction in front of th Etsy cars that I was awaiting from my right onto a A617 ffs! I took all his inersha etc.. recovery it’s been 3 weeks 2 op sand they say January I hope depend son if I end up,having muscle or more skin grafts. Raced bikes rode bikes all my life ‘tis I swore one so guess I’m luck they’re. Anyone wanting a fully loaded and including some special gsa big son. A beauty r1250. Rallye I’m going to let it go.

It's crap when you have to make changes to keep riding; especially after it's been forced on you by an accident; l love my old 1100 but with my ankles being closer to my arse than i would like;not being able to flat foot has always made me feel a little uncomfortable and taking that extra little bit of care when i stop. Whatever you choose to do with regards to a new ride; i wish you all the best and a speedy recovery.:beerjug:

Whilst it was an interesting read, if felt the OP is trying to compare apples with oranges. The RKS is a retro stripped down tourer/cruiser whereas the Goldwing is a state of the art tourer.
A fairer test would be the Goldwing v's the H-D Electraglide Ultra Ltd. (you can get helmets in the top box on one of those!) They also are equipped with audio, satnav and the new Harley "Reflex Defensive Rider System".
(Big Derek, I wish you a speedy recovery :thumb)

edit: sorry not the OP, I meant Mr. Dippenhall

Actually, you make a very good point. It was only yesterday i stopped comparing the wing to the GS as they are totally different things

Hi Big Si: yes that’s a fair comment.

(In passing I should say the clutch lever on the RKS was quite heavy!).

Funny you should say that, I thought the same after testing a RKS the other week. It's strange, as the RKS has a hydraulic clutch and my Heritage 114 has the traditional manual one but is a lot lighter than the RKS. You would think it would be the other way round. :nenau
You are not the first person to mention it, it crops up on most reviews so I don't know why Harley don't employ the the 'manual' system across the range of tourers as they do on the softails. The new softails have a new clutch adjustment mechanism now as well which makes adjustment a bloody doddle!:thumb2

Well I am continuing to compare my 250 to all of litre plus bikes and having a whale of a time.

Indeed...I have to remind myself that I was out trying to road test a 390...and ended up a bit off piste!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Giles hit it for me recently by saying “ buy the bike that suits the riding you do”

That’s why my Triumph Scram is in my garage - it suits the hour or so I get for a blast around the South Downs...

As it happens, I've just been looking at second hand Wings on eBay. 6-7k gets you an old model GL1800 with reasonable miles. I'm really not sure the new bike could be even close to 26k better, at least for the amount of use I'd give one.

I'm 55 next week and I now have a goatee. I'm not sure I'm fat enough to fit the stereotypical rider profile though.

My local Honda dealer have an F6c bagger in at just under 12k. Weird styling to my eye though.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

As it happens, I've just been looking at second hand Wings on eBay. 6-7k gets you an old model GL1800 with reasonable miles. I'm really not sure the new bike could be even close to 26k better, at least for the amount of use I'd give one.

I'm 55 next week and I now have a goatee. I'm not sure I'm fat enough to fit the stereotypical rider profile though.

My local Honda dealer have an F6c bagger in at just under 12k. Weird styling to my eye though.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

They (1800's) are quite nice - a few years back I bought a "slightly rough" one in the states - 98,000 miles on it (a 2006 / 7 model) - for $6000 cash. Gave it a service and a battery (it was a one owner bike , and the air filter had NEVER been changed !) - used it for two years , sold it with 114,000 miles and it ran like a sweetie ... it's now back in Ireland. Lovely engine , nice noise - 55mpg driven sensibly ..... worth getting out of your system , you just might like it ...........................

Back
Top Bottom