Tried a Goldwing today

stever1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Took out a new Goldwing for a test ride today. Very nice :)
It wasn't at all what I expected. Very comfortable and smooth.Not as heavy and cumbersome as I thought it would be.

It wasn't at all what I expected. Very comfortable and smooth.Not as heavy and cumbersome as I thought it would be.

Could you be more concise :D

In relation to what - GS, RT, K1600 or other?

I followed a grey/silver one today, nicely ridden along the A30 between Sherborne and Shaftesbury.

Great brake lights

Could you be more concise :D

OK, I'll try a bit harder.

Firstly, I'm now on my 5th BMW, 4 x 1200's and now a 1250 so it could be said i'm a bit set in my ways. so trying a Goldwing is WAAAAY out of my normal standards and i had to remember I was not comparing like for like.

When I picked it up I was a bit on edge. 30k worth of bike is a bit daunting if you drop it , but the dealer said I was worrying about nothing. So, off I go, the first thing was I tended to over correct the steering but this got better as i got used to the bike and as I got used to it I found it was good for low speed control feet up. Its a bit lower than a 1250GS so its easier to get the feet down when stopping.
By the time i got out of Hull I felt OK with it. I realised that the weight was not an issue, either moving or stationary. It was a very comfortable and smooth ride out to seaways cafe-which was shut of course. I didn't wring its neck as it was a brand new bike but I feel it could have done with a bit more power as you needed to plan overtakes more than on the GS which just goes like stonk.
The fairing/screen keeps more wind off you so as a consequence you hear the mechanical noise more which was louder than expected. There was also quite a lot of mechanical backlash noise when picking up from a trailing throttle which is a bit of a surprise. A bit like the early K1600 egg whisk noise.
It does nearly 50 mpg and overall was an impressive ride. BUT....... its not all good. I thought the panniers and top box are to small. I tried to put my helmet in the top box and it would not close. There are many switches to figure out and I found the indicator switch a little difficult to find as its hidden away amongst many other switches.
It was a cracking bike which I will take out again but with my girlfriend on a longer ride. I love it but its not perfect. I may try the K1600 as a comparison as its quite a bit cheaper but I did like the wing. Would I have one ?????????? Probably, if I can find the money But it would have to be far better than a K1600 or a 1250RT as its a lot more money.

Hope that's better Arsey.

Casbar. GS

cabby. Manual

Thanks, that was a good review. I listened to a review on a pod cast and a chap rode one to Spain, he had owned glides before. He mentioned that the luggage was too small, switch gear was complicated, but he really hated the sat nav, said it was absolutely crap. But the rest was good.

Goldwing bagger

After reading this and other posts I decided to book a test ride 9n a dct bagger.

Doble in Coulsdon kindly obliged with a brand new bike, only 2 miles on the clock. Said when asked I could have the bike for half the day, which i requested as I had read it would take time to get used to the DCT which I had never tried before.

I had ridden a new 2006 Goldwing from NYC to Tennessee along the Blue Ridge Parkway and loved it.

2708e10de594d57ce0a2070d8676cc23.jpg

My impressions:
As when I ride one 15 years ago, the weight just disappears when you take off! And this is a lighter bike than the old one and the DCT was superb...in 3+ hours of riding I never felt the need to try the manual shift as it was easy to switch mode between touring and sport. Sport mode was wrenching my arms off but good for rapid overtakes and the windy roads of Kent and Sussex that I rode.

The engine is a beaut and despite lots of stop fo town traffic and roadwork traffic lights, combined with vigorous riding when I could, it told me I had averaged 49 mpg
d9cfae204c1c7a10c1718946a2206e19.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the engine and gearbox were superb; it also cornered and handled much better than I expected and did not lose its composure when there was a bit of gravel.

Didn’t get to fiddle with all the technology stuff as I was concentrating on following my mate.

Not so good (for me):

Windshield gives less height and protection than my rt 1200 lc

Storage space is rubbish...can’t even fit a lid in.

Majorly expensive (but looks like good build quality and much more solid than the Road King Special that I rode this afternoon - what a contrast- although both are excellent bikes in their own way and the 114 inch engine is much better than its predecessors)
1a96bd940e4671dd3aebaef450add819.jpg

Jumped back on my RT and thought: what a wonderful bike...but could happily enjoy either of the two bikes I tested (if money were no object).

Thinks....

The Harley looks like something from the 80’s, in comparison to the ‘Wing.

Back
Top Bottom