Converting the GPS Factory Fit Mount to take a later SatNav

KevinW

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've just taken delivery of a 1250 GSA. I had no idea of the form factor of a Nav VI so I was a bit disappointed to see the only satnav that fitted the factory mount was a Zumo 660; I'd rather hoped it was the same as a 590/595.

I don't want to go back to a 660 so I've been looking for options and came across this which will convert the mount so it will hold a 590/595. Has anyone fitted one and, if you have, did it do the job well?

This appears to come from the States (well, the hosting site does) and I couldn't find any other options. Do you know of any?

If something similar has already been asked and answered please point me to it and I'll don a hair shirt. I did search before asking but couldn't find anything.

Thanks.

Kevin (who did wonder whether this should be in the GPS Info section but decided it was a mod rather than a question about a GPS)

I had no idea of the form factor of a Nav VI so I was a bit disappointed to see the only satnav that fitted the factory mount was a Zumo 660

I'm not sure what you mean by 'form factor'. However, if it's any help, the mount will take a Nav IV, V and VI.

The mount in the link, just looks like the std backplate, less the pins section

I'm not sure what you mean by 'form factor'. However, if it's any help, the mount will take a Nav IV, V and VI.

Shape and dimensions. Thanks, but I want to put a later satnav on it.

The mount in the link, just looks like the std backplate, less the pins section

The pins come from the standard Garmin mount and the BMW locking mechanism fits round that. The 590/595 plate replaces part of the standard BMW locking mount so I assume it would look the same, just a bit bigger as the 590/595 is a bit bigger than the 660.

I have noted it's not a photo though and I've also noticed the installation instructions don't seem to be available which made me wonder and prompted me to ask if anyone else had tried it.

I might just take the BMW mount off and put a locking Touratech one on.

Kevin

Interested in this thread, just having the same question on my new gs1250!
I did have a quick and rough measure of the mounting hole spacings of the 590 mount as it looks very similar to the plate holding the current nav mount onto the bar, but the 590 is a big old lump and I wondered if the bar mount would be up to it
I have ordered mount from SW Motech for my 590, which should allow use of the 590 mount and wiring to replace the nav set up.
had the sw motech mount for my ktm 1290 and very happy with it
Cant see point of not using a perfectly good satnavfor how often it gets used although the wiring loom requires a specifc plug to connect into the harness down by headstock. I know I lose the use of the magic wheel but can live without it.

Interested in this thread, just having the same question on my new gs1250! ...[snip]... Cant see point of not using a perfectly good satnavfor how often it gets used although the wiring loom requires a specifc plug to connect into the harness down by headstock. I know I lose the use of the magic wheel but can live without it.

I'm with you on the last point. I sent the vendor of the alternate plate a couple of questions yesterday - is it still available and can (s)he point me to the installation instructions. If I get a response I'll update this thread and, assuming it's still available, I think I'll give it a punt.

Kevin

To the OP,

What nav do you want to fit?

The GPS prep on the 1200/1250 is set up to work with the Nav 6 VI (whether it works with the 5 V i do not know)

So on the nav VI 6 you can control features of the nav, and have it display bike data on the nav

Units that will fit the GPS Prep mount are

Nav 4 IV 5 V 6 VI , there may be others but i cant say

The section of the mount where the nav connectors are is removable, so in theory , you can put any mount you want there,

providing it's hole spacing matches.

You will need to change the wiring plug on your new mount to match the BMW plug so you get power to your unit

You will however loose any functionality of the wonder wheel

Alternatively you could purchase a wonderlinq unit and a compatible mount so you can use a mobile phone, tablet etc

of either the Andrioid or Apple variety

This would enable you to retain & use the features of the wonder wheel , with a non device specific GPS

To the OP,

The GPS prep on the 1200/1250 is set up to work with the Nav 6 VI (whether it works with the 5 V i do not know)

So on the nav VI 6 you can control features of the nav, and have it display bike data on the nav

Post #1 590/595!

To the OP,

Post #1 590/595!

Easy tiger ;)

Then its quite straight forward

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sh...-K50-BMW-R_1200_GS_0A01,_0A11_&diagId=77_0549

Replace part 13 with a 590 mount

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Zum...ocphy=1006538&hvtargid=pla-491283380622&psc=1

Replace the power plug with the required BMW one and you should be fine

[snip] Alternatively you could purchase a wonderlinq unit and a compatible mount so you can use a mobile phone, tablet etc of either the Andrioid or Apple variety

This would enable you to retain & use the features of the wonder wheel , with a non device specific GPS

I stumbled across the WunderLINQ yesterday although I can't remember how and it looks an interesting device but doesn't help me with this issue. We ride in long distance road rallies which means I need to have complex routes with many waypoints in my navigation device as well as the ability to store lots of waypoints that aren't part of my route. I haven't come across a 'phone app that will do that.

Quite what I'm going to do when satnavs have been completely replaced by 'phones, as they inevitably will, I have no idea but, hopefully, such an app will be available then. It's quite a niche requirement though so I'm not sure it will be worth the development investment.

Then its quite straight forward

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sh...-K50-BMW-R_1200_GS_0A01,_0A11_&diagId=77_0549

Replace part 13 with a 590 mount

[snip]

Replace the power plug with the required BMW one and you should be fine

Unless I'm missing something it isn't as simple as that unfortunately. The 595 mount is bigger all round than the one for 660/all sorts of Navs so won't fit the existing BMW cradle or allow the locking bar to connect in the correct place with the Garmin mount. That's what the part I linked to in my opening post is designed to resolve.

If I don't get a response from the designer I'll take the BMW mount off and put a locking Touratech one on. It's the easiest solution but the BMW mount looks much better although I'm not sure if it's as secure.

Kevin

I stumbled across the WunderLINQ yesterday although I can't remember how and it looks an interesting device but doesn't help me with this issue. We ride in long distance road rallies which means I need to have complex routes with many waypoints in my navigation device as well as the ability to store lots of waypoints that aren't part of my route. I haven't come across a 'phone app that will do that.

Quite what I'm going to do when satnavs have been completely replaced by 'phones, as they inevitably will, I have no idea but, hopefully, such an app will be available then. It's quite a niche requirement though so I'm not sure it will be worth the development investment.

Unless I'm missing something it isn't as simple as that unfortunately. The 595 mount is bigger all round than the one for 660/all sorts of Navs so won't fit the existing BMW cradle or allow the locking bar to connect in the correct place with the Garmin mount. That's what the part I linked to in my opening post is designed to resolve.

If I don't get a response from the designer I'll take the BMW mount off and put a locking Touratech one on. It's the easiest solution but the BMW mount looks much better although I'm not sure if it's as secure.

Kevin

There is quite a bit of movement in the stock unit,

you may be able to get a extended locking bar 3d printed possibly cheaper that the £70 odd back plate

re phone apps,

I started looking at gps apps, to use with a tablet

there are a lot of apps out there ,

some of the Truck or lorry based ones, offer different features to the std car ones, ( they can be a tad pricey though ;) ).

With the wonderlinq unit the software is opensource, so if you can find someone who can play with apps , there may be scope there .

Seems a shame to have a bike with the ability to use the wonder wheel and not use it.

Wapping is the man when it comes to GPS apps i believe, he may know of a suitable program that may meet your needs

Just compared your measurements to the Vi

There's only 2cm difference in the units

From the centre of the contact area (pins) on the Vi to the edge is 65mm going by your measurements you have 75mm approx

so only 10mm difference if you look at the picture below you can see how the locking bar works

The height is immaterial btw so if you were to fit the zumo mount, you may be able to dremmel the sides of the locking bar

or mount to fit

Attachments

• IMG_20200625_191840.jpg
    IMG_20200625_191840.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 603
I bought a base plate that someone 3d printed that clips into the existing garmin base and you can then bolt what ever sat nave bracket/phone holder you like I'll post a few pictures later as I use a tomtom sat nav.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

I hadn't appreciated the site I linked to is a 3D printing site (no idea why, it's obvious now I look at it!) so I don't actually need to contact the designer. I've now ordered a set but it won't be shipped until 31-Aug so I'm fitting a lockable Touratech one for now. When the other parts arrive I'll give them a spin and post the results. To be honest, now I've thought about it some more I may just stick with the Touratech one but I want to see how well the other bits work anyway.

In the meantime, I've now removed the BMW mount and I'm confused by something. What does the plug with the black end in the attached photo do as it wasn't connected to anything? Please ignore the fact it's a crap photo.

Kevin

Attachments

• GPS Plugs.jpg
    GPS Plugs.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 527
The new plastic parts arrived today. The material feels rougher than the OEM parts but it all looks well made.

I struggled a bit getting the lock barrel out of the old mount but after someone pointed me in the direction of YouTube that was resolved so the old mount was easy to disassemble and the new simply a matter of reversing the process. Some of the screws needed a little effort pushing the parts into place before I could insert them but there really were no issues at all.

Picture 1 shows the old assembly at the top and the new parts below. 2 shows the new mount with old and new parts parts fully assembled, 3 with the optional cover plate, and 4 with the satnav mounted in it. Picture 5 shows the offset mount that will lift the satnav up and forwards.

For the basic components, ignoring the optional offset mount and cover plate, the total cost was 99.48 EUR incl. VAT (£88.46 according to the transfer rate at xe.com). For comparison, a lockable mount from Touratech is 119.90 EUR (£109.17).

Pros: It keeps the OEM look and feel and will work with your ignition key.
Cons: There aren't any really other than the cover plate rattles when it's installed but a couple of sticky foam pads would sort that out.

Edit: I've just realised I should have added that the satnav on/off button is inaccessible in the modified BMW mount. Not a problem if you're happy to rely on the ignition but a PITA if you want to turn it on and off manually for some reason.

Would I recommend the OEM mount upgrade? I'm not sure. The new plastic parts are cheaper than the TT mount and it looks original but, and this is purely subjective, the TT mount seems more secure to me than the BMW mount (nothing to do with the new parts). Both mounts prevent the release lever being pushed but the TT mount also has clamps over the satnav that will provide an irritant to a would-be thief. I've got to be honest though and say I doubt either would keep your satnav from someone who really wanted it.

Kevin

Attachments

• 1.Old and New.JPG
    1.Old and New.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 287
  • 2.New Assembled.JPG
    2.New Assembled.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 275
  • 3.New With Cover.JPG
    3.New With Cover.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 282
  • 4.New With SatNav.JPG