Unlocking maps (hangs head in shame)

Fluffy Bridges

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Chaps,

History: I have a 550 for the past 10 yrs or so which has been fine working as a stand alone unit (except when the user fails to follow instructions). Of late it has been slightly mischievous, "freezing" occasionally and on returning from a trip to La France routed me home from Weymouth (a road I know well, fortunately) in thick fog using instructions for riding on the right!

I have never been a great user of Basecamp or Mapsource but have had some guidance from Richard (Wapping) in the past to good effect.

Last Sunday in Herefordshire it froze again. Removed battery, replaced, all ok. Mentioned it to the missus who said what a good boy I've been of late and wouldn't I like a new one? A 595 is on it's way:D.

And here we get to the nub.

In a fit of enthusiasm I decided to do some practising on Basecamp. Connected the 550, unit recognised, checked for updates, new mapping available so successfully downloaded 2020.2 as suggested. All good.

Not. Bottom right hand corner of Basecamp map yellow sign Map Detail Locked.
OK go to Maps unlock maps etc input code (I have lifetime updates) no worky.
Tried several times with the same result.
Tried everything I could think of including making sure Basic Map Only in View wasn't ticked :blast. I wasn't.

In desperation emailed Garmin with the problem.
Their answer was threefold:
To log in to my computer in an account with administrator permissions. I have 1 account, its me and it has administrator permissions.
Run Basecamp as the administrator. Followed the destructions and enabled that.
Use another computer. I only have the one these days a PC running W10 and don't I miss my Mac....

I cannot unlock the detailed maps whether the 550 is connected or not.

What am I doing wrong?

I'd like to continue routing the 550 for the car or one of the other bikes with Basecamp but I'm worried that when the 595 arrives I will have the same problem.

Fluff.

P.S. apologies, its a bit long winded...

Have you ever connected the 590? Just trying to figure out if that had anything to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would save any data (routes) that you have got. Then, when your new device turns up and before you connect it to your pc, delete BaseCamp, along with all its maps entirely. Then do a fresh installation, along with installing Garmin Express at the same time as registering your device. All should then be well.

In short, start with a clean sheet of paper.

A couple of points, as above LM maps are unit specific (they belong to the unit they were registered to, no swapping). As far as i am aware there should be no need to enter the code for LM maps downloaded from Garmin, it knows the unit and will automatically install lock codes when done into basecamp and map source if used.
Unless you have deleted the old maps from basecamp or mapsource they will still be there to use, just select your old version of the maps for the time being to practice with, and you should be able to delete the new maps from your nav and install the old ones back using base camp.
when your new unit arrives start afresh as wapping suggests with a clean install of express and base camp, and then download the maps for the 595 and if you wish to carry on using the 550 download the maps for that aswell, (they are different than the 595, NT vs NTU)

A couple of points, as above LM maps are unit specific (they belong to the unit they were registered to, no swapping). As far as i am aware there should be no need to enter the code for LM maps downloaded from Garmin, it knows the unit and will automatically install lock codes when done into basecamp and map source if used.
Unless you have deleted the old maps from basecamp or mapsource they will still be there to use, just select your old version of the maps for the time being to practice with, and you should be able to delete the new maps from your nav and install the old ones back using base camp.
when your new unit arrives start afresh as wapping suggests with a clean install of express and base camp, and then download the maps for the 595 and if you wish to carry on using the 550 download the maps for that aswell, (they are different than the 595, NT vs NTU)

Right, oh. advice is start again so that's what I will do...

Thank you chaps.

No, Berin. its on its way.....

Then, what Leedude and the others said, there’s no need to enter a code with LM, provided it’s the device is registered and connected.

When you fire up Garmin Express, with the device connected, it should recognise the device and tell you what updates are available. Make sure you do the update from there. If you want maps on BC too, make sure you download the maps both to the device and to the computer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guessing when you updated the maps the unit updated fine and its just maps on your pc that are locked ? If so try re installing maps on pc and if no joy go back to garmin.
I had a similar problem and they required to send me a missing file with instructions, that was only way I could unlock the maps on my PC.

All.

595 arrived and sorted. All OK after a bit of a faff with the Garmin help desk but they were good. I now have both the 550 and 595 registered and more map detail than you can shake a stick at...

Uninstalled all the previous programmes and started afresh, having saved my routes and waypoints to a memory stick. I must have a forgotten back up somewhere (Garmin account?) that loaded them without any prompting from me. Happy Bunny. So, thank you for your input.

Looking forward to playing with the new toy and an Airhawk that I scored from here as well....

Fluff.

Back
Top Bottom