Wild camping in the Kielder Forest

Urban Rider

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Any suggestions on where to wild camp in the Kielder Forest? A few of us are heading north in a couple of weeks for riding and camping. We will mainly be wild camping but will stop at a few campsites as wet wipes become tiresome after a while!!

First night we've booked a site at Broughton-in-Furness, following day we intend to ride the lakes and then over to the Kielder Forest for the second night before crossing into Scotland for the following 10 days or so...

So, any recommendations for wild camping the the Kielder Forest?

Yes but no but

not accessible by moto
55.185210, -2.501578
Swimming trunks optional :hippy

Thanks but....

Given we are going on the bikes it doesn't really help....

Anyone else got any suggestion for camping in the Kielder which is accessible by bike...?

You might be missing the concept of 'wild' - there are way fewer places that you can simply ride up to. You might find somewhere you can park up, hide your precious in some undergrowth then go on foot for the last bit. It really depends on how 'wild' you are looking for!
I'd suggest you take a topography map and start from there- many accesses have sadly been blocked over many years due to abuse.
good luck with the search- Topo really is your friend as is knowing how to interpret coordinates and use a satnag!

you can camp at the bit i have arrowed and as a bonus it is on the porridgewog side so perfectly legal

Kielder for the most part is a miserable sort of place IMO and should be ridden through as fast as possible

Attachments

• Kielder_LI.jpg
    Kielder_LI.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 871
Yer not allowed to cross the borders..either into Scotland or Wales .. if Sturgeon has her way theyll be checkpoints at all the border crossings,on the A1 near Berwick,Coldstream in the scottish borders ,and carter bar on the A68 and also @ Gretna on the m74/m6 ...

Yer not allowed to cross the borders..either into Scotland or Wales .. if Sturgeon has her way theyll be checkpoints at all the border crossings,on the A1 near Berwick,Coldstream in the scottish borders ,and carter bar on the A68 and also @ Gretna on the m74/m6 ...

I thought that was all changing on the 15th?

From Kielder, you can 'slip in' (to Sturgeon country) via Newcastleton:augie

:comfort

Stealthy little wild camping gems tend to get rather popular when plastered all over the internet.
I have one night stopovers all over England, Scotland & Wales, but would never share them other than Forestry Commision car parks.

It will be wick with midges this time of year Bellingham has a site called demese farm,they had a few gser meetings there theres a few pubs nice little village was there last year, there a pub called the anglers arms in keilder he let's camper Van's stay in the carpark so maybe worth a phone

It's actually changing as of the 3rd but don't let the facts get in the way of WCGS's repeated jibes at her majesty.

Thanks Cabby, good to know and looking forward to exploring those parts i missed during last years trip..

I should add, it's only possibly to stay in overnight if it's via self contained accommodation, be that a tent, a campervan, or some kind of self contained flat/house/bucky.

I should add, it's only possibly to stay in overnight if it's via self contained accommodation, be that a tent, a campervan, or some kind of self contained flat/house/bucky.

Thanks, there's 3 of us in total and we're all bringing our own accomodation (tents) so a combination of campsites and wild camping..

Thanks, there's 3 of us in total and we're all bringing our own accomodation (tents) so a combination of campsites and wild camping..

You should be fine, although I'm not sure of when campsites open, that I'm guessing will be down to each individual campsite. :okay weather's pish btw.

Back
Top Bottom