Basecamp Closes Unexpectedly

Status
Not open for further replies.

adventuredon

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ok, so planning a route etc.
2 things I have noticed very recently after an update to BC software. Go to search an address and it (lets rather say when..)
1. it finds the location, if you click the suggested place, basecamp just shuts down. Restart it and carry on, no data lost but it occurred 3x today. Never had this before
2. double click a route to open it and view properties etc. Close route then try select any other tool using the keyboard shortcut (e.g H for hand / move tool) and all you get is a beep. Then you have to use a pointer device to click the selected tool and it all works again

minor bugs, but anyone else come across this in the last 10 days? ill post the BC version later when upstairs

Start task manager and check what apps/processes are using resources.

I suspect that something like your browser is using a shitload of memory (could be multiple lines of IE/Chrome etc.)

Stop them all, or alternatively do a restart.

its not that, new pc, very powerful. its only started recently. it snot a processing thing as it already presents the result, its when you select it it closes. and the tool thing is just hanging until you manually select a tool. Programming / algorithm issue me thinks

I have had that too, on my brand new iMac, with a very large memory.

I don't know one end of a computer from another but, even on a brand new iMac (with nothing but BaseCamp and photographs on it) I sometimes get a warning pop up that I am running short of memory. It generally happens when I run BaseCamp and Safari together, when I have been spending two to three hours, creating lots of routes (for example when I did the Scottish routes thing) and drop in and out of Safari a lot, finding hotels or places the book mentions. Suddenly BaseCamp will crash for no apparent reason. On my iMac, the BaseCamp window will whizz across to the left and the screen goes black. I think BaseCamp then restarts with a message that it closed unexpectedly. I don't seem to lose any data when it happens.

Something (this is way above my pay grade) is sometimes using lots and lots of memory, is my guess. But what and why, I have no idea. I had meant to do a Google search to see if there is anything on the better forums as to why and / or to I meant to flag it up with Garmin but haven't got around to it.

On my old iMac I found there was one route that caused it to crash with almost metronomic regularity. What might have been different about this one route compared with maybe several hundred others? I have no idea at all. But there was something in it that Basecamp and my iMac didn't like doing, that is for sure.

ok my laptop is running basecamp 4.7
desktop is 4.7.2 (latest/recently installed)
Only have global map on my laptop and after searching and selecting and doing the tool change via keyboard it works fine - no closures, no need to use keyboard to change tools
On the desktop 4.7.2 this morning on latest map it searched fine without closing but select tool option locked up. It works fine after one click with the mouse i.e it reverts back to allowing you to select via a shortcut.
So switched to global map again and it worked fine.
Came across this 2 year old post https://forums.garmin.com/apps-soft...26/search-causes-basecamp-crash/811382#811382
then went back into basecamp and searched for a different location. Yep, finds the place, then crashes out.
Looked in the logs and it does mention a corrupt or failed install
The description for Event ID 0 from source gupdate cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
Log Name: Application
Source: gupdate
Date: 03/07/2020 09:01:38
Event ID: 0
Task Category: None
Level: Information
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: DESKTOP-FHF4V22
Description:
The description for Event ID 0 from source gupdate cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Service stopped

Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="gupdate" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">0</EventID>
<Level>4</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-07-03T08:01:38.156783300Z" />
<EventRecordID>6188</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>DESKTOP-FHF4V22</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>Service stopped</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Ill either re install or just live with it..!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom