Nice area to stop over?

We are stopping in Wiltz at the northern end of Luxembourg on our way back from Trier. Picked more as a base for a couple of days touring, not an overnight. You could have a cracking day riding there though, around the Eifel and roads in North Lux. The hotel next to the castle looks nice.

If you want to be closer to the tunnel then Dinant would be my choice. In fact, it was my choice for the outward leg of our June trip that was cancelled. In the Ibis that has been pointed out by Mr Fickle.

Ypres.

Nearer Calais than Koblenz but an easy day, lots to see, and a quick run to Calais next day.

Got in before me Gerry, great place, historic town square with the Cloth Hall, Cathedral, In Flanders Fields Museum and of course the 8pm Last Post ceremony at the Menin n Gate. Just under 60 miles to Calais.

Rocroi is a lovely little town to stop over for a lunch while touring the area but I’d have thought it’s a bit small to get much selection in the way of hotels.

This , we stopped in the Ardeenes for five days and used Rocroi, as the base . The hotel was lovely, but she was only open Tuesday , Weds, Thurs , fri and Saturday ! There is another small hotel on the other side of the square that had the bar below.
Dinant was a great place, much more choice of everything
KJqNhIA.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Got in before me Gerry, great place, historic town square with the Cloth Hall, Cathedral, In Flanders Fields Museum and of course the 8pm Last Post ceremony at the Menin n Gate. Just under 60 miles to Calais.

Another vote for Ypres for all of the above, especially the Last Post ceremony at the Menin n Gate

If thinking of Ypres and travelling with her indoors then go up the road to Poperinge and stay at the Manoir Ogygia.
Stunning place withy beautiful rooms and you dine in the old manor house.Quite possibly the best meal I’ve ever eaten.
Not cheap but worth every penny.

The bod says he'd like a leisurely ride, which might suggest a stop at around hallway, perhaps? The trouble with Ypres, is that it is nothing like halfway between Koblenz and Calais. It is close to nine tenths. There again, you can always have a leisurely cruise along the motorways, I guess?

What have you decided on, OP?

The bod says he'd like a leisurely ride, which might suggest a stop at around hallway, perhaps? The trouble with Ypres, is that it is nothing like halfway between Koblenz and Calais. It is close to nine tenths. There again, you can always have a leisurely cruise along the motorways, I guess?

What have you decided on, OP?

You are, as ever, right. But there is so much to see and do in Ypres that it is worth a less-than-4-hour trundle up the m-way, arrive at lunch time and have all the rest of the day, plus time the following day, depending on ferry/train time, to enjoy some educational kulchur, as well as the Last Post. It'll be interesting to see how they manage that now the pox is upon us.

Indeed so.

It highlights the difficulty in suggesting places to unknown bods, when we nothing about them at all. For all we know, he's a 'I never take a motorway, me' kinda guy but one who likes a scenic bimble, never pushing off the main stand before 11 AM and then slowly putting on his gloves, who wants cheap digs for every night?

I have a 4 bed very French farmhouse between Surgeres and Saint Jean d'Angely. Dont use it anywhere near as much as I should. Great location for touring from and happy to do a great deal for any GSers on tour. Makes a great midway point for Italy or Spain. Here now and its lovely.

I have a 4 bed very French farmhouse between Surgeres and Saint Jean d'Angely. Dont use it anywhere near as much as I should. Great location for touring from and happy to do a great deal for any GSers on tour. Makes a great midway point for Italy or Spain. Here now and its lovely.

Very nice :thumb2

But I am not sure it would suit me if I were heading for Italy, unless I was with Nutty :D

Its certainly more of a trek but I've done it a couple of times over a couple of days it's a great ride. You need to get out with Nutty more. More nutty, more adventure.

Back
Top Bottom